1786 Vermont colonial copper

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is actually my first post on this forum but I've been checking it out for a few months now. I'm kinda new to this game. I used to use a metal detector back in the 80's when I was a teenager, then, mysteriously, I forgot about it. Last year my friend got a new detector and I remembered how much fun it used to be and wondered to myself why I ever stopped. I ended up getting one myself and instantly became addicted to the hobby again. Now I'll get to the point. Last week I ran into a friend that I hadn't seen in about ten years and we were talking trying to catch up when he mentioned that he had just purchased a new house (New to him that is) It was a very old farmhouse in a rural New York town Near where we grew up. I immediately steered the conversation to metal detecting and secured permission to hunt the property. Now I'll skip to the good part. After searching for a while and not finding anything great I hit a good signal a pretty good distance away from the house in an area that apparently had been a cornfield at some point but was now mowed and part of the lawn. Imagine seeing this. didn't know what it was at first...thought it may have been a button with the shank broken off where the eye is on the back of the coin. Oh yeah, one more thing..I'm not very computer literate and I just got my digital camera recently so I hope these pictures come out OK....

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 5,045
  • IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 5,124
Upvote 3

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find does not come close!!!!! A few of the finds I have seen here in the past few years I would really have to question about them being dug, but there is definitely no question about that spectactular find. It has that nice green patina, plus the ever present copper corrosion on the edge (unfortunate part of copper mixing with the minerals in the ground). Glad to hear it was found with a DFX!!!!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! :o What a way to start back! 8)

Welcome to Tnet and keep those finds coming!!!

Fantastic find!!! Nana :)

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Wow if its real....I know museums sales facsimiles to the public.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
My red book says 200.00 not bad!! sell it to private collector for sure.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
dunn1866 said:

I say cough up the scratch to have it graded and slabbed. It might bring a better value if its slabbed just because its been professionally cleaned and preserved.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dunn1866 said:
I would tend to agree with you if I wasn't a collector myself. My coin collection really doesn't have any monetery value to speak of. Very few rare coins in there. But sentimentally, its very valuable to me. Alot of it came from my grandfather before he passed away. A few indian heads and a few silver dollars and a few other miscellaneous coins. I would never sell it (unless i could retire and buy a mansion somewhere) which is far from the case. Thanks for the response anyway and happy hunting.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skrimpy said:
dunn1866 said:

I say cough up the scratch to have it graded and slabbed. It might bring a better value if its slabbed just because its been professionally cleaned and preserved.
I actually do think I'm going to have this coin graded and slabbed. I've actually never had a coin graded before. This will be the first. We'll see what we get. I'll make another post after I have it graded. Thanks....HH

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
very nice evo ;)

I hope to find a cache of them one day from a cellar hole :-X

swing and dream swing and dream ;D

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
solx nys said:
very nice evo ;)

I hope to find a cache of them one day from a cellar hole :-X

swing and dream swing and dream ;D

ooooh that would be sweet! Hopefully in a box and as pristine as the day they were minted.

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Unbelievable find...oldest coin does not even come close to yours......fantastic and will come back to MDin.... ;D

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent coin....once in a life-timer! Welcome to TNet and welcome back to your fascinating addiction....er, hobbie!

HH

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Why did you ever quit? ;D ;D
When you're 14 or 15, MDing is awesome. Thats how I remember it in hindsight. Teenage peer pressure and partying seemed to take precedence at 16 or thereabouts, and I just never picked it up again until last year. (about a 20 year layoff) Imagine what my coin collection would look like now If I'd never stopped. HH Evo

I feel ya. I started when I was 13, and I never really totally stopped, but I only hunted about 5-6 times a year for 8 years there during my time in college, work, and my first Master's Degree. I met a fantastic detectorist who would become a great friend of mine here in KY, and after we started huntin' together I've regained my addiction!.

Buckleboy

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super coin...i would love to get out east and hunt some of those really old places to find some of those old coppers!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread