1787 New Jersey Post Colonial Copper. Full Story Included.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone had another great day today. I finally dug my first 1700's coin. My area is old and I have been to spots as old but have came up short on the coins. Not alot of money to lose at those times.

This spot I have known of for awhile now. It took 5 trips to figure out it had something. It started a few weeks ago when I wanted to go investigate another area in the same woods. This old camp witch it may have been was on the way. So we stopped and hit it me and my brother. Lance found 2 flat buttons and a token and I found a merc.

After that I have been down there every chance I can get. I have been having alot of sucess so far with this 1400 coil. I like it alot. I am not paid buy whites so I only say things for the benefits of others. Not every body hunts like I do nor know the unit as well. Just saying the coil is awesome and goes deep.

The 2 large cents were very nice to get yesterday. I found the 1846 right as I got there and knew it would be a good day. Today was slower for the first hr. Then I got a good solid quarter hit at 7.5 I dug down that deep maybe a little deeper and out it popped. I thought it was another large cent until I got it home.

Then I realized I had a 1787 post colonial new jersey copper. The front has a horse facing to the right. It says around the rim this Nova Casarea. Then the date at the bottom with a branch above it. The back has a sheild right in the middle. Then it says around the rim E Pluribus Unum. These last 2 days have been alot of fun. The history at this site is amazing. These types of spots really touch me in a way because these were real people. Every flat button I dig or old relic puts me back in time. These area's had alot of Indians and forts at those times. Just realizing how old some of this stuff is truly makes you appreciate it.

I found 2 more flat buttons and a nice buckle today also. Found some strange 30/6 bullets with a rubber protector over the bullet part. I have been sick lately and you can imagine how much better I was after finding a 220 year old coin almost. When you make finds like these you don't even think about how much more the coil weighs.

Thanks for Looking

HH Jer

Attachments

• 1787 copper.jpg
    1787 copper.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 482
  • 1787 copper back.jpg
    1787 copper back.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 457
  • buckle and buttons.jpg
    buckle and buttons.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 460
  • railway relics.jpg
    railway relics.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 468
Upvote 0

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
That's it. I'm driving to Pittsburg this weekend! All I gotta do is look for a couple guys with metal detectors. How hard can that be? ;D

You guys have some awesome spots. Maybe I'll find some spot like that. I checked out a bunch of history books from the library. Trouble is most of the best spots have been developed over. Some of us will just have to hunt vicariously through others.

Congratulations on the first 1700s coin. I'm still trying for an 1800s.

Bob

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the first 1700 coin.. Its a great feeling when you wash the coin of and see that 17--...Keep on Digging and good luck on the next One....Seeker

Maggot

Jun 3, 2005
Washington state
The bullets are sabots. It is a projectile encased in some kind of casing that drops off after leaving the barrel. It's to get a more powerful load with a smaller projectile to get more velocity.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double ditto what I said yesterday!!!! :o

Awesome!

;)

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
congrats on a great find. I still remember the first NJ cent I found. took 3 days to figure out what it was. keep going back and dig everything. there are others out there.

PS there is a guy that is doing a research project on the distribution of NJ coppers. He wants pictures and locations of any found . Ill look up his email address for you if you want. he will tell you the variety of the one you found if you want. they were only made 3 years but there are quite a few varieties I'm told

TimmyNY

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Thanks everyone. Hard work is right. Hunting these cellar holes is tuff work. I have to clear out area's with these small bamboo things that stick up. Alot of hard walking around and deep digging. These people knew how to hide a site to back then. Thank god this is a great time of year to be doing this. Weather here has been 40's and the ground is really soft.

Cool Tim. Let me know. I don't have a problem with it unless he's my next door neighbor. I'll tell general area were found and picture of site wouldn't be a problem. Not sure on the variety. I know the 1786 in v.f is worth like 35,000 maybe 45,000. So beleive me when I dug it I was checking it over alot.

I find alot of live ammo. I hope nothing bad ever happens. Alot of it is old and fragile. I have hit bullets before and they just crumble. I don't like to really even wash them off. I don't want to lose a hand or hurt someone else. I think the odds are on my side though.

I had a good day today also. I'll post over the weekend. I want to get a few more trips in. It's alot of work getting it all up.

Thanks again everyone

HH Jer

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Just to clarify something, if you hit an old bullet the bullet is not going to shoot still, you need a barrel to concentrate the expanding gasses to force it out. But you could still get burns or something from it.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jer, nice going. Hey what happened to Lonewolf?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread