First Day...

Dec 29, 2005
Greater Sacramento - Gold Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
I received a Garrett ACE 250 for Christmas and today was was first chance to use it. I know nothing about detecting but now that I am retired, I thought I give it a chance.

I went to a local children's park where I played as a child and went to an area still with sand in the play area.

I set the ACE to coins, and the sensitivity to 4 bars. I threw a nickel into the sand to see what it would sound like and to see if I could figure out how to pinpoint. After a few runs, I decided to try the real thing.

Within a few moments, I found a 1985-D Lincoln Cent which was about 2" under the sand. It was only 1 Cent but I was off! My hero Scrooge McDuck would have been pleased!

I learned that in the future I should have some sort of digging tool and maybe a small sifter for the sand.

Anyway, I hope I will get into the hobby and just have a lot of fun.

Scrooge

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Welcome to the wonderful world of Metal Detecting....make sure you save that first coin....You will soon be hooked on hunting like the rest of us... :)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulation's on your first find!!!....this IS a great hobby.I hope you have great success !!!..HH and Happy New Year..

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Scrooge, welcome to the forum. You spend a couple of weeks on this forum and you'll be an old pro in no time. There's alot of good information and good people on T'net. Good luck to you.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey McDuck!

Yep....a diggin tool would be VERY beneficial! ;)

Congrats on that find!

Nana

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Welcome to the forum Scrooge, one of my wifes favorite characters is scrooge McDuck, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Great bunch of folks here always willing to help
hh
dave+bobbie

Strand-Filter

Dec 10, 2005
Florida
A fun start in a fun hobby.

This forum is a great place to find information about all aspects of the hobby.

Check out the Reviews section on the forum. There are some great tips for the ACE 250 there. I have an ACE 250. I learned some things that are not in the manual by reading those reviews.

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
I always wanted to have a big money pit to swim in like Scrooge McDuck...it wasn't til later in life I realised how that wouldn't really work too well...but I still want one... ;)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great hobby, just takes some patience. A good digging tool is a must, LOL! HH, Mike

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Hi Scrooge!
Its likely you will find many, many more pennies! They seem to be everywhere. Just wish they were not zinc nowadays, with a thin copper wash.
You picked a good place to start. Playgrounds are easy to dig, and there is almost always something to find. Its a good way to learn your detetor with a minimum of mess and frustration. Doesnt hurt to pick up a little battery money either.
In my experience, Garrett's are coin hounds. Very strong, definite signals, good ID.
Enjoy it, and best of luck.
Hugger

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello, welcome to the forum, & this great hobby.
I'm sure your going to love it.

Here's a post that might give ya a few pointers on what to take out to the field with ya:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,23363.0.html
I'm sure there are many more also, but I could find this one easily...

As stated above, you can go back through the post on the forum for some great tips, good advice, and a stroll down memory lane.
Look forward to seeing your post.
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to a great forum and to a great hobby ! You'll do well with the Ace-250. Looking forward to your posts. Good Luck !

Huntin' 59er

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions