1787 New York Copper

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Hi everyone, i got permission to search a circa 1810 farmhouse this week I was searching it today
and after digging lots of clad coins i got a penny reading at 4 1/2 inches pulled out a copper coin
and i used some water on a rag to get some detail so i'd have an idea of what i had i searched a
while longer drove home and i was ready to post it in the Coin Forum but decided to get my
Redbook out and there it was in "Post Colonial Issues"
1787 NOVA EBORAC Reverse, Seated Figure Facing Right
my oldest and best find of the year............so far :) i'm not sure if their's a date under the crud
and i'm afraid to clean it anyone know if it's a common coin ? or is it a rare one ?
any T Net people ever dig one of these ?
IMG_4937_3.jpg

IMG_4938_3.jpg

Mike HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Well, the coin sat in distilled water overnight and this morning i attempted to clean it
I tryed a cotton swab first an that wasn't working so i used one of them long tooth pics -
i forget what you call them and i proceeded to pick - scrape away something was coming
off...i imagine dirt but not much then i left it under a hot lamp for maybe 45 minutes
then i tryed what i heard other people use on large cents a camel brush i worked it with
the brush a little and i think it actually brought out the letters on the reverse more
i really like the way it came out :) it does look better holding it than in the photo
at least i know it's preserved thanks Don for your advise :thumbsup:
I'll let you people be the judge should i have left it the way it was ? or does it look better now ?
I know the ET LIB is more defined on the reverse and it was harder getting a good photo now
that the lighter crud isn't behind the raised images
IMG_4945_2.JPG
IMG_4946_2.JPG

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I adjusted Your Pics a Little

!!__index.jpg !!__ndex.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dry cleaning of it is what made the difference. You simply just risked stripping the patina by using water. I'm not really sure why you feel this state is any more preserved but if you think it is that's all that counts.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
York (UK City) was known to the ancient Britons as Caer-Effroc, Ebrauc, or Eborac, before the Roman conquest. What does Eborac mean in this context?

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
jeff of pa said:
Thanks Jeff i'm looking at the photo (reverse) an i think i see a 17 comparing it with Rich's photo
anyone else see it ?

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
CRUSADER said:
York (UK City) was known to the ancient Britons as Caer-Effroc, Ebrauc, or Eborac, before the Roman conquest. What does Eborac mean in this context?
Hi CRUSADER if you read Neil in West Jersey's post near the top there's a link that says
NOVA EBORAC means New York

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike in Berks said:
jeff of pa said:
Thanks Jeff i'm looking at the photo (reverse) an i think i see a 17 comparing it with Rich's photo
anyone else see it ?

Yep I see the 17 & a Hint of the 87

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Mike, Awesome post! A coin that is once in a lifetime, a story definitely worth reading, a history lesson, a preservation lesson..............Give us a few more pictures and get it on the BANNER!

You deserve it!
Thanks Country Girl :)
you want more pictures ? i put a photo of the coin, the back of the house, and the location i found it
i do have more photo's of the area but i don't want to show to much at this time the owner gave me
permission to search Monday then the developers are coming in a day, a week, a month ?? i'm hoping
they let me continue once they start moving the dirt ? for all i know they might say no or chase me out :(

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Admiral de Salee said:
I hope to see updates on this one. Congrats on a super-rare find! And I add my kudos for sleuthing out the old site.

You guys are finding the domestic equivalents of hammered Celtic and Roman coins found in the UK, in terms of scarcity.
Thank You Admiral de Salee
in 13yrs of searching i still haven't found the coin in your avatar looks like it's in great shape too :)

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coin Mike,I've been hoping to find onea thous myself ! I think the cleaning helped it quite abit,looks good ! I'm thinkin she'll be on the banner here shortly. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
most ground found coppers and even the silvers are penalized for being in the ground whether they are "cleaned" or not. But our coins in OUR collections have the history or where they were lost, and sometimes a good idea on even who lost the coins and relics..................We have true pedigree coins! :thumbsup:

Don

Well said. :)

These are exciting times on TreasureNet. We're adding to the BANNER on almost a daily basis!

This is a Fantastic find. I have never seen one posted here, and it is a Stellar recovery.

Bravo!

-Buckleboy

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right!! A copper made the banner. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Congrats Mike. Very well deserved. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
jimmatt_43 said:
Congratulations on a great find.
Jim
Thanks Jim
kieser sousa said:
Awesome coin Mike,I've been hoping to find onea thous myself ! I think the cleaning helped it quite abit,looks good ! I'm thinkin she'll be on the banner here shortly. :thumbsup:
Thank You kieser souser :) you're from N.Y. i hope you do find one good luck !!
BuckleBoy said:
Don in SJ said:
most ground found coppers and even the silvers are penalized for being in the ground whether they are "cleaned" or not. But our coins in OUR collections have the history or where they were lost, and sometimes a good idea on even who lost the coins and relics..................We have true pedigree coins! :thumbsup:

Don

Well said. :)

These are exciting times on TreasureNet. We're adding to the BANNER on almost a daily basis!

This is a Fantastic find. I have never seen one posted here, and it is a Stellar recovery.

Bravo!

-Buckleboy
Thanks Buckleboy :)
Evolution said:
All right!! A copper made the banner. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Congrats Mike. Very well deserved. :thumbsup:
I never would've thought :o I'm Totally Stunned :D Thanks EVERYONE !!!!! Thanks T Net :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Neil in West Jersey said:
Congrats on making the BANNER!! :thumbsup:
Thanks Neil you were the first one to suggest it once i cleaned it up
thanks for the info you gave me too !! it sure has been an exciting and educational week for me wow
and i just got a case of BSS Banner Shock Syndrome :D

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See I told ya it would be on the Banner soon ! ;D Thanks Mike,hitting a site tomorrow that just might give one up.I hope ! :thumbsup:

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
It seems a roman coin...congrats!

M.

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Mike,

Congratulations on a stunning find !!!!. Glad to see it found its way to the Banner. It certainly belongs there !!!

Quote from: Don in SJ on Oct 09, 2008, 08:19:46 PM
But our coins in OUR collections have the history of where they were lost, and sometimes a good idea on even who lost the coins and relics..................We have true pedigree coins!
Don, So true !!!!!

Congrats again Mike, great find !!!

Brian in MA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread