1787 Vermont Colonial - Bust Right

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I've always had a Vt. colonial copper on my want list but I have only seen two for sale here in my looking area. The nicest one of the two was $149.00 but didn't have a date. I walked away from it and returned a week later to see if I could get the dealer to go down on the price and he had sold it. I found this worn 1787 yesterday at a garage sale. The man wanted $100.00 but I offered him $80.00 and he accepted it. Did I over pay? He also had a couple of worn NJ colonials, one priced at $30.00 and one at $50.00. This man told me he bought a box of coins and it had 14 colonial coppers in it. He sold them all but these last three.

Attachments

• 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 381
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 367

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
In my opinion, you did OK. I would have paid $80.00 for that.

I would like to find a decent Vermont Copper myself, but I want to wait until I have a couple hundred dollars to buy a nice one to keep forever.

Your obverse has nice eye appeal :thumbsup:

VPR

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Vermont looks like a Ryder 14 variety and for 80 dollars it to me seems like a good price. I have not looked hard, but saw one that sold for $200 at auction, but was in fine condition, so I really think you did alright.

Don

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Im quite sure that this coin is a Ryder 14. I was told that Vt. colonial coppers were minted in Rupert Vt. Is this true? Were all Vt. colonials coppers made there? Were they all minted by the same person/ or people?

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
undertaker said:
Im quite sure that this coin is a Ryder 14. I was told that Vt. colonial coppers were minted in Rupert Vt. Is this true? Were all Vt. colonials coppers made there? Were they all minted by the same person/ or people?

The way that I understand it..... Yes, all of the Vermont Coppers were struck in Rupert VT. I think that the exact location of the building is open for debate. I read that the original building was blown down during a wind storm sometime in the 1850's.

I am not sure how accurate this is.

VPR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread