1788 MA Common Wealth Coins

texhunter2211

Aug 22, 2011
Hello. I am new, but researching some coins that Bill Mahan gave my mother growing up. She grew up in Garland around the corner from the Mahans and graduate HS with his daughter. My mother has some of his Spanish deblooms from S. Padre and two unique 1788 Massachusetts Common Wealth coins. I have been researching these coins and their value. Any thoughts info appreciated. I have the two MA coins with pics and will get the Spanish deblooms scanned this week. Here's what I have observed with the MA coins: there seems to be seperation between the 17 88, looks like there are three stars on the crest of the eagle which I cannot find on any of the 1788 coins online, only the 1787? Some of the arrows seem to be without tips, the indian pictured on the oppo side is rather skinny and tall compared to others that I have found online. The M M on Common has more seperation than the rest of Common Wealth. The text in all, matches that of Callender's coins. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. I will get some better pics today. There does appear to be a star on the left side of the indian by his head.

Could the MA coins be produced in 1786 as demos for the court hearings?

Attachments

• commonwealth2143.jpg
    commonwealth2143.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2,625
  • commonwealth150.jpg
    commonwealth150.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 806
  • commonwealth151.jpg
    commonwealth151.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 526

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately I think 1986 would be closer to the date they were made.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they are definitely cast replicas, not genuine coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread