1789 Half Reale Update: Third Known Specimen?

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Last summer I found a 1789 half reale with a scarce Guatemala City mintmark. It turns out it was a "transitional" coin due to the passing of the crown from Carolvs III to Carolvs IV. As luck would have it, my coin is has a counterpunched IV over III. Here is the coin:

005a.JPG 010b.JPG

I was able to find out little about the coin other than what was posted in the original thread (http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=336317.0) showing Krause's price guide.

g1.jpg

Other than knowing it was somewhat scarce or rare there was very little further info available. From time to time I have searched online, and even went to the coin show in Philly with no further info and apparently little interest from dealers or auction houses in researching it.

Last night I finally came across info online showing mintage quantities, and here is what I discovered.

005a.JPG

I am amazed at how little interest there is for a coin of this rarity, mine being the third known specimen to exist? Especially when you look at a 1916D Mercury Dime, which there were more than 200,000 minted!

Attachments

• 010b.JPG
    010b.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,501
  • g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,855
  • Info....jpg
    Info....jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,854
Upvote 15

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Reale with its stamp mark are a bit more expensive than normal .... do not pay much attention to the catalogs, each coin has a different value for each coin is different.
its coin is increased by at least 15% of its appraised value. :thumbsup:
H

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
HISPAN said:
The Reale with its stamp mark are a bit more expensive than normal .... do not pay much attention to the catalogs, each coin has a different value for each coin is different.
its coin is increased by at least 15% of its appraised value. :thumbsup:
H

I believe Neil is pointing out that his 1/2 Reale is a scarce die variety (IV over III).

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 of 3 known to exist. Looks like you need to get on the phone with someone. Let some folks know what you have found. Sweet coin man. I am still waiting on my first. :thumbsup:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Neil...I hope it is a winning lottery ticket for you.

Good luck on your further research and getting some interest in this coin.

NJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil! I did that leg work last year, I contacted a Half Real buyer/seller(currently working on a reference for the Bust varieties) and here was his reply that I posted in your original post:

Hi Don

Thanks for writing with the interesting coin.

It is a Guatemala 1/2 real from 1789 a transitional year. The old kind Charles III died that year and mintage began at the Guatemala mint before word of the death arrived. Instead of preparing new dies, the new king's ordinal, IV, was punched over the old one. The bust is still Charles III though.

The piece is rather scarce, that's why it is not priced in Krause. I have seen about 5 or six examples, the latest was a nice midgrade example that sold for $150 in early July at a Spanish auction. The hole is a problem, greatly reducing the value, but the countermark is interesting. I have not been able to find exactly what the countermark is, and that could be very positive in regards to value. If the countermark proves to be rare, coupled with a low denomination, scarce host coin, it could be worth a little something. But I can't ultimately tell without doing more research on the mark.

I hope that helps; thanks for sharing.
Doug

I also just had contact from a counterstamped coin collector who would be interested in the coin, he considers a coin that is now counterstamped more a token than a coin for collections, but anyway, if you are interested in talking to him, I could give you his addy privately.

There is not a big demand for Spanish silver, especially Half Real coinage, so value will never be anything near other coins with low mintage.

Don

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on breaking into the 1700s with such a rare coin Neil, I find that doing the search on the history of a unique find almost as fun as finding it ...........almost. thanks for the update :hello2:

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your rare bird. Let us know when you find out the skinny... Arty

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Don in SJ said:
Neil! I did that leg work last year, I contacted a Half Real buyer/seller(currently working on a reference for the Bust varieties) and here was his reply that I posted in your original post:

Hi Don

It is a Guatemala 1/2 real from 1789 a transitional year. The old kind Charles III died that year and mintage began at the Guatemala mint before word of the death arrived. Instead of preparing new dies, the new king's ordinal, IV, was punched over the old one. The bust is still Charles III though.

The piece is rather scarce, that's why it is not priced in Krause. I have seen about 5 or six examples, the latest was a nice midgrade example that sold for $150 in early July at a Spanish auction. The hole is a problem, greatly reducing the value, but the countermark is interesting. I have not been able to find exactly what the countermark is, and that could be very positive in regards to value. If the countermark proves to be rare, coupled with a low denomination, scarce host coin, it could be worth a little something. But I can't ultimately tell without doing more research on the mark.

Doug

I also just had contact from a counterstamped coin collector who would be interested in the coin, he considers a coin that is now counterstamped more a token than a coin for collections, but anyway, if you are interested in talking to him, I could give you his addy privately.

There is not a big demand for Spanish silver, especially Half Real coinage, so value will never be anything near other coins with low mintage.

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks again for the legwork. I may be interested in speaking with him, if only to find out more about the counterstamp. I doubt it is worth the trouble of selling, although I guess for the right price.....

I will send you an email later tonight when I have a few minutes.

Thanks again for your effort!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:

Hi Don

Doug

Don

Exactly what I was going to say. Just because somebody prints at a particular point in time that it's 'X' amount 'Known' doesn't make yours the 3rd. However, if you had a central place to record them & yours was the 3rd recorded example, then no-one can change that. Thats why I like what we do over here with rare coins. Once again, just because I recently recorded a coin as the 3rd known example, doesn't tell you how many haven't been recorded. Over here you can at least times it by 10.
Anyway it is a Very Rare Coin, so big congrats :hello2:

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver Searcher said:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Great Find Neil...BANNER :icon_thumleft:

SS

This one should have been a banner back in July of 2010 when I dug it, but it does not qualify anymore!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread