1789 Half Reale Update: Third Known Specimen?

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Last summer I found a 1789 half reale with a scarce Guatemala City mintmark. It turns out it was a "transitional" coin due to the passing of the crown from Carolvs III to Carolvs IV. As luck would have it, my coin is has a counterpunched IV over III. Here is the coin:

005a.JPG 010b.JPG

I was able to find out little about the coin other than what was posted in the original thread (http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=336317.0) showing Krause's price guide.

g1.jpg

Other than knowing it was somewhat scarce or rare there was very little further info available. From time to time I have searched online, and even went to the coin show in Philly with no further info and apparently little interest from dealers or auction houses in researching it.

Last night I finally came across info online showing mintage quantities, and here is what I discovered.

005a.JPG

I am amazed at how little interest there is for a coin of this rarity, mine being the third known specimen to exist? Especially when you look at a 1916D Mercury Dime, which there were more than 200,000 minted!

Attachments

• Info....jpg
    Info....jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,855
  • g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,856
  • 010b.JPG
    010b.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,502
Upvote 15

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Great research! The old saying supply and demand hold true for your coin. If as many people collected Half Reales as they did Mercury dimes that coin would be worth a ton! I have had that apply to some stuff I have found over the years, if there is no demand you can have a one of a kind and it still only have a minimal value. Way cool and rare coin anyway. HH

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
The Reale with its stamp mark are a bit more expensive than normal .... do not pay much attention to the catalogs, each coin has a different value for each coin is different.
its coin is increased by at least 15% of its appraised value. :thumbsup:
H
Couldn't agree with you more, a catalogues price is mealy a guide line, each coin has to be treated differently..a coin is worth only what some one, is willing to pay. :icon_thumleft:

SS

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See, if I was a collector with $$, that's what would interest me! The hole and counterstamp just add to the history of the coin!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Don in SJ and MKn Tenn have said it's all supply, and demand.
The comparison to the 1916 10Β’ is a good one, there are many.
No doubt not many collectors, at least for a date or variety set of those.

For a lousy hundred bucks or so, I would not sell it.
It's a great piece to have in YOUR collection. (not to mention / consider you found it)

I like counter stamps, when / if you find out more, I'd like to know about it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Neil! I did that leg work last year, I contacted a Half Real buyer/seller(currently working on a reference for the Bust varieties) and here was his reply that I posted in your original post:

Hi Don

Thanks for writing with the interesting coin.

It is a Guatemala 1/2 real from 1789 a transitional year. The old kind Charles III died that year and mintage began at the Guatemala mint before word of the death arrived. Instead of preparing new dies, the new king's ordinal, IV, was punched over the old one. The bust is still Charles III though.

The piece is rather scarce, that's why it is not priced in Krause. I have seen about 5 or six examples, the latest was a nice midgrade example that sold for $150 in early July at a Spanish auction. The hole is a problem, greatly reducing the value, but the countermark is interesting. I have not been able to find exactly what the countermark is, and that could be very positive in regards to value. If the countermark proves to be rare, coupled with a low denomination, scarce host coin, it could be worth a little something. But I can't ultimately tell without doing more research on the mark.

I hope that helps; thanks for sharing.
Doug

I also just had contact from a counterstamped coin collector who would be interested in the coin, he considers a coin that is now counterstamped more a token than a coin for collections, but anyway, if you are interested in talking to him, I could give you his addy privately.

There is not a big demand for Spanish silver, especially Half Real coinage, so value will never be anything near other coins with low mintage.

Don

I agree. There's no question it's a very cool detecting find and if mine would be among my favorite Spanish silver, but the reality is.... There's not enough demand to drive the price even considering it is a scarce coin, plus the hole and stamp are negatives in a coin collector's eye. That leaves the token buyers but is a non starter for them if it can't be ID'ed, and there is MANY unattributed stamped coins/tokens out there. So it's quite ironic that what makes this find so neat actually hurts it too because in a way it's in a collector's no man's land. I think as the coin is posted today with what's known (in this case not known) about the stamp, the segment of collectors who would probably have the most interest is us, the diggers! ID the stamp and things could greatly change but that's how I see it now.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:
Neil! I did that leg work last year, I contacted a Half Real buyer/seller(currently working on a reference for the Bust varieties) and here was his reply that I posted in your original post:

Hi Don

Thanks for writing with the interesting coin.

It is a Guatemala 1/2 real from 1789 a transitional year. The old kind Charles III died that year and mintage began at the Guatemala mint before word of the death arrived. Instead of preparing new dies, the new king's ordinal, IV, was punched over the old one. The bust is still Charles III though.

The piece is rather scarce, that's why it is not priced in Krause. I have seen about 5 or six examples, the latest was a nice midgrade example that sold for $150 in early July at a Spanish auction. The hole is a problem, greatly reducing the value, but the countermark is interesting. I have not been able to find exactly what the countermark is, and that could be very positive in regards to value. If the countermark proves to be rare, coupled with a low denomination, scarce host coin, it could be worth a little something. But I can't ultimately tell without doing more research on the mark.

I hope that helps; thanks for sharing.
Doug

I also just had contact from a counterstamped coin collector who would be interested in the coin, he considers a coin that is now counterstamped more a token than a coin for collections, but anyway, if you are interested in talking to him, I could give you his addy privately.

There is not a big demand for Spanish silver, especially Half Real coinage, so value will never be anything near other coins with low mintage.

Don

I agree. There's no question it's a very cool detecting find and if mine would be among my favorite Spanish silver, but the reality is.... There's not enough demand to drive the price even considering it is a scarce coin, plus the hole and stamp are negatives in a coin collector's eye. That leaves the token buyers but is a non starter for them if it can't be ID'ed, and there is MANY unattributed stamped coins/tokens out there. So it's quite ironic that what makes this find so neat actually hurts it too because in a way it's in a collector's no man's land. I think as the coin is posted today with what's known (in this case not known) about the stamp, the segment of collectors who would probably have the most interest is us, the diggers! ID the stamp and things could greatly change but that's how I see it now.

Thanks for the input, IP, and thanks to both you and Don who were a big help last summer getting the initial ID on the coin!

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Just a guess but i think the coin has been in the ------well In 1541, St. Ignatius of Loyola adopted IHS as his seal as General of the military Society of Jesus. It is still central to the emblem of this Roman Catholic Jesuit order........

Attachments

• ihs.jpg
    ihs.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1,167

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RELICDUDE07 said:
Just a guess but i think the coin has been in the ------well In 1541, St. Ignatius of Loyola adopted IHS as his seal as General of the military Society of Jesus. It is still central to the emblem of this Roman Catholic Jesuit order........

You know I would definitely follow that lead considering there doesn't really seem to be anywhere else to go at this point. I actually owned a French Douzain that had an IHS countermark. It was too small to be the same as here, but could have been others.

This is similar to what I had.

Attachments

• thumb01985.jpg
    thumb01985.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,113

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
RELICDUDE07 said:

You know I would definitely follow that lead considering there doesn't really seem to be anywhere else to go at this point. I actually owned a French Douzain that had an IHS countermark. It was too small to be the same as here, but could have been others.

This is similar to what I had.

Could also possibly be the mark of a Montreal silversmith. ( Fur-trade era.)

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A closer look...

010.JPG

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 1,030
OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
XPress2 said:
Wow... That is some luck you had...

It is kind of funny that although my buddies dig a lot more coins than I do, mine more often tend to be scarce varieties...Repunched dates, rotated dies and other oddities!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
A closer look...

WOW - that 'S' is a snake with its tongue sticking out - wonder what that means??

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
Get it verified so you can get on the banner. :tongue3:
I think you have an extraordinary find there sir.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
CRUSADER said:
A closer look...

WOW - that 'S' is a snake with its tongue sticking out - wonder what that means??

Hmmmm. An interesting observation. I will need to get out my loupe to see if this is just a random scratch, but you appear to be on to something!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
A closer look...

Hmmmm. An interesting observation. I will need to get out my loupe to see if this is just a random scratch, but you appear to be on to something!

Its all there, the eye,mouth & raised tongue (no scratch) winding up to the top right corner.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
A closer look...

I very much doubt it's a Snake's head. The eye is obviously discoloration, the mouth is likely a cut, and the "tongue" goes up and down, which doesn't make sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread