1792 Half Disme/200-250 known to exist

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Since it is such a spectacular find and lots of people are interested in more info, I figured a seperate posting is warranted to make sure it's very visible to all. See link below. Talk about not only a fantastic find, but think about the odds!!!!! Of the 1500, how many were ever lost in the ground? Probably just a few. Then you take the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of square miles of land mass where those few coins could conceivably be and it's almost an impossibility that one would ever be found. Does anyone know of a detectorist finding this coin before Marc in VA?

http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory/signal/coins/sg011406-coins.htm

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes one was found And in Best Finds of W&E a couple years ago.

This one Found in N.J.

Attachments

• pic46343.jpg
    pic46343.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 322

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
TERRIFIC!!! Remember-NO EBAY! If you sell,only at a legitimate high-end auction house that will advertise it and it's history to the right kind of people.Congratulations and I wish you more goodluck!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would expect this coin to go for 30k or more at a well advertised auction because of it's rarity and the provenance related to it.See how it grades first though.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Yes one was found And in Best Finds of W&E a couple years ago.

This one Found in N.J.
I like that photo Jeff! :D
The one Jeff is showing was found in 2004 and fetched over 20 grand at auction, that photo was taken by me, felt privileged just to hold a coin like that and then photograph it for the finder and for W&E magazine.

Here is the auction writeup on the one found in NJ
http://www.anrcoins.com/lotdetail.aspx?lrid=AN00010094

Also, I heard of one being found in NE Pennsylvania, but that I never confirmed.

The photo of Marc's is not clear enough to say, and since he has not posted the reverse, it is possible it is worn a bit and not quite a top dollar coin, so therefore I will trade him my 1793 Half Cent for that measly ole half disme. ;)

Don in SJ

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
I like that photo Jeff! :D

I thought You'd get a Smile out of thatDon :)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
it really is the best find i have ever seen on the forum.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Heritage would be an excellent choice as well. As a matter of fact, they have handled a dozen auctions of this extremely rare variety within the past four years, including a proof-like example sold for $1,322,500.00 earlier this year.

http://coins.heritageauctions.com/

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that link, are they saying that out of those coins that are known to exist, thats how many they have found, but some could still be in the ground?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread