Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Good evening everyone. This morning I was able to get out for a bit after finishing a few errands. I wasn't to excited or feeling it(lucky) but, I went anyway. Found an iron patch and it all started lol.... Just target after target and NO trash! This evening when I started looking at the finds I noticed one of them seemed different. I mean it felt thicker then the other three I found. As I was delicately cleaning it I noticed the chain. The one side looks good but, the other will be a challenge. In the three hours I was there these are my finds.

Thanks for looking,
Don

I added these two photos to show the slow and little progress I've made with the detail of this coin! Just taking my time. There is a coin shop close by any thoughts?

Thanks,
Don

Attachments

• IMG_1939.JPG
    IMG_1939.JPG
    498.6 KB · Views: 1,032
  • IMG_1944.JPG
    IMG_1944.JPG
    715.3 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_1941.JPG
    IMG_1941.JPG
    828.4 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_1942.JPG
    IMG_1942.JPG
    983 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_1940.JPG
    IMG_1940.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 502
  • IMG_1943.JPG
    IMG_1943.JPG
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    806.5 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_1952.JPG
    IMG_1952.JPG
    709.8 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Upvote 85

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You certainly walked onto some hallowed ground there mate. Spectacular Chain Coin find. I never heard of it until you found this one! Damn! That's a nice coin! Like other have said be careful with the cleaning. I would probably hire a professional service to restore and grade this special coin. Truly amazing and the other finds must feel like orphans begging in the street for attention in light of this rare coin. Well done.:icon_salut:

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chain Cent !!! Holy S$@# ! Man that must be a Banner find! I’ll put my vote in.

Congrats and HH

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DREAM COIN! And dream find! BANNER!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm dying to see this thing after a super careful cleanup. I have a feeling this rare Chain cent is going to be a stunner. That's something I'm not sure I've ever seen posted. To find that coin in good condition is what dreams are made of. So happy for you man. Miss seeing you on hete

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speechless------WOW------:occasion14:---:notworthy:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to "The Chain Gang " !

Found mine , Thank you God , ironically a 1793 Half Cent a year later to the same place , close to the the same hole .

Proud of that one as well .... enough of I , me , mine .

So much for being very humble this mourning , lol .

A DREAM FIND , the rarity and significance of the can hardly be overstated.

The Chain Cent pieces claim the title of ,

THE Holy Grail ~ of Early US Large Cents

CMDiamonddawg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone should remember this post when they are lacking motivation! :occasion14:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sad to see this incredibly rare early coin just slipping down the page. It blows me away that something this rare and hard to find doesn't get the attention it deserves. Sad sad sad

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the copper that everyone is looking to find. Banner Vote is cast! I'd be soaking that in mineral oil to protect it from exposure to the air after its long dirt nap (my humble opinion). Congrats on an amazing coin recovery.

OP
OP
70monte68

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
I'm dying to see this thing after a super careful cleanup. I have a feeling this rare Chain cent is going to be a stunner. That's something I'm not sure I've ever seen posted. To find that coin in good condition is what dreams are made of. So happy for you man. Miss seeing you on hete[/QUOTE

Ahab, I must admit I'm a little nervous with cleaning this one up. I'm just taking my time with it. Thank you for the kind words, I still frequent our site mostly looking to see what has been unearthed. I still go out every weekend and dig just my finds have become just the norm mostly toasted coppers, musket balls and lots and lots of buttons. I just plane stumbled on to this spot.

Thanks again my friend!

Last edited:
OP
OP
70monte68

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Thank you all for the kind words!! I am still taking my time with this the obverse? side may be a challenge

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm dying to see this thing after a super careful cleanup. I have a feeling this rare Chain cent is going to be a stunner. That's something I'm not sure I've ever seen posted. To find that coin in good condition is what dreams are made of. So happy for you man. Miss seeing you on hete[/QUOTE

Ahab, I must admit I'm a little nervous with cleaning this one up. I'm just taking my time with it. Thank you for the kind words, I still frequent our site mostly looking to see what has been unearthed. I still go out every weekend and dig just my finds have become just the norm mostly toasted coppers, musket balls and lots and lots of buttons. I just plane stumbled on to this spot.

Thanks again my friend!

Yes take your time my friend. You can never go back on a find like that. I haven’t been posting either. I’ve been putting in about 70 hours a week. But I may try to sift this week if weather allows. Those stumbled on sites are often the best by far. The two coins I’ve seen from this one are tops of most lists.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to see that pop out of the ground, congrats!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the Holy Grail finds on everyone's Bucket List. Congrats on the incredible find and good luck with your cleaning and preservation efforts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions