Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Took me about an hour to figure this one out. Thought you had a good 1 for a second. Sheldon-31.....Very common. Sorry Monte, but it is what it is. Still a great find though. Lots of detail! Can someone confirm S-31 also?.......Thanks Hogge

Hogge, what is a good coin site to determin the variety? All I have is the United States Coins red book dated 2009, thanks for the help!

Don

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice
icon_thumleft.gif
Congratulations
icon_thumright.gif

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to "Coinfacts.com". But sometimes they do not have varieties pictured. There is another site with a private collection but the name escapes me. I also have "Breens Encyclopedia. Yours was sort of a challenge with all the varieties. Also, received a "like" from Don in SJ, so I guess I got it right.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cooool ! Congrats :hello2:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to "Coinfacts.com". But sometimes they do not have varieties pictured. There is another site with a private collection but the name escapes me. I also have "Breens Encyclopedia. Yours was sort of a challenge with all the varieties. Also, received a "like" from Don in SJ, so I guess I got it right.

Coinfacts not too good from the free portion for US coins anymore, but if you do not get a book, which is not easy to find and pay a decent price, this is the site you can use to at least compare photos by variety with whatever you find. The books actually tell you the features to look for, which is the all important time saver in attritubing, which is still a challenge to do with the books on many varieties.......
Save this link in your favorite file: Large Cents

Nice details left on your coin, just wish the corrosion was less, but we can't have it all, but sure would like to. :)

Don

CREEKGEEK

Oct 18, 2012
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Explorer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like head of 1794. Just found my first about a month ago. Here u can compare the two:

20130303_034805.jpg

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An absolutely stunning coin.