1795 half dollar

bloo

Nov 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Etrac
I found this 1795 half dollar this past week end. It is the oldest silver coin I have ever found. It was found at an old ghost town only about 2" deep.

I will try to post better pictures.

Believe me I am exited about the find as I have been carrying it around with me from the day it was found.

The coin is a two leaf variety. There are scratches across the face which were not done by me. It is as clean as it is going to get. At least I won't do any thing more to it. It is in a plastic holder to protect it. I believe the coin value may be in the $1,200 range based on condition. The mintage was 299,000 but fewer than 4,000 in any condition are estimated to have survived according to psgs. I have attached larger pictures. If I am able to produce better pictures I will revise my post.

It is the 0-113 variety. I can see the E under the A in states and there is a die lump by the 5 in the date. I believe it might be a 0-113a variety. I will have to have someone look at. The 0-113 is rare. The 0-113A is very rare. The 0-113 has an estimated population of 201 to 500. The 0-113A has an estimated population of 81-200 coins.

Thank you testing 123 for the information.

I forgot to add earlier that it was found on private property with permission from the owner.

I reduced the size of the pictures as suggested. I think they look a lot better.
Thank you all for your comments

Attachments

• halffront.jpg
    halffront.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,495
  • halfback.jpg
    halfback.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,500
Upvote 0
Tell us more about how and where you found it. What part of the country was it found?
I'll vote banner once I hear the story!

:hello2: :icon_thumright: WOW :o !!!!! Big Beautiful Early American Silver !!!!!!!! The find of a lifetime !!!!!!!!!! Congradulations !!!!!!!!!! BANNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Killer.
Only word I can think of.
That, or just amazing.
Carl

This is one "bad" find! Tell us more details of the adventure. Is this a California find? Congrats man.

That is one SWEEEEET find. Congrats. At $1400 a pop I'd dig 2" holes all day :icon_thumright:

I say that's a $600.00 G4 Banner find. I could only dream of finding that.
What state are you in other than bliss.

joeyfresh said:
I think I remember someone on here said they could be valuable. Either way, great coin!
Yes, Valuable.
Especially to the finder. Congrats & tell us about the finding ;D

Absolutely awesome find! I don't have the Overton book in front of me, but it looks like the O-113 variety. One of its attributes is the die lump by the 5 in the date. AND in STATES, the letter A is actually covering up the letter "E" so when someone started making the die, he put STETES originally. Look closely, you should be able to see parts of the E sticking out.

On the obverse, those "scratches" on the face look to be Adjustment marks. These are mint-made and were created when an overweight planchet was "adjusted" by filing away excess silver to get it down to the desired weight.

Definitely banner-worthy!

Find of a lifetime! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Quite a coin! An old friend of mine dug one about 10 years ago and Minelab used it in their adds for quite a while. When a big silver coin appears I think the last thing anyone thinks is it will be 1700s American.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back