18 Cents in 4 Hours. Good Deed & a New Long Awaited Permission. Ill take it!!!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
18 Cents in 4 Hours. Good Deed & a New Long Awaited Permission. I'll take it!!!!

I headed out determined to find a new Permission this morning around 10 am. There are 2 houses close by that I have been eyeing. I was in the mood to cold knock if necessary. No cars in the driveway at the 1st property. :BangHead: I continued North and just over the tracks on the left is an old house. I have been by this house hundreds of times and no one is ever home. Today I noticed a car in the driveway. :hello2: I pulled in and noticed a young man raking. He set the rake down when I got out of the van and we walked towards each other. He is in his late 20's. I asked if he needed some free help, I can rake or pick up branches. He looks at me and sees this "old man" and declines my offer chuckling. :icon_thumleft: We introduced ourselves and then I let him know that I have been going by this property almost daily hoping to catch someone home (ever since March). He tells me he has been in NJ, he installed sports tracks at schools and has been working on the East coast for most of the year. I let him know his house is in the 1874 map and offer to show him. I asked if I could have permission to hunt his property as I pulled out the map and point out his house. What are you looking for when you detect? I let him know I was hoping to find some pre 1964 silver coins and maybe an old Indian Head penny, or maybe an old buried non functioning pocket watch to add to my collection (I have about a dozen at the house). We shot the sh_t for a few more minutes and he tells me "sure if I can hold off until later this week" :headbang: The outhouse still stands, but it is on the neighbors property. ( I think I can get permission to hunt around it though). I was so stoked that he granted permission, I decided to go back to Jim's house on Barker Street and burn some energy. I raked leaves for about 2.5 hours. Jim has heart problems and I thought it was the least I could do since I have been hunting his virgin property. I only dug $0.18. One 1889 IHP, 9 wheats (1919 x 2, 37, 40 x 2, 44, 47D, & 48. I also dug 3 old keys, an old broach,, and 4 other artifacts. Only dug 4 modern clad an nickle and 3 memorials.. I'll take it.

1889 IHP

20151114_173305.jpg

All Today's Digs

20151114_173226.jpg

I was granted a sweet permission, did a good deed for the day, and still detected for a few hours. What else could one ask for??

As always, hope ya'll got out and swung the coil :metaldetector: today.

Thanks for reading, hope I wasn't too long winded.

GL & HH

Upvote 41

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like an awesome day LD! Congratulations on the long awaited permission and the wheat pennies. The skeleton keys are very cool!

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's how permissions go...help them out; it is their property. Nice finds. I love those keys. Skeleton keys are becoming more collectible each day.

aj

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know what will happen asking permissions! 3 years ago I asked some elderly gentleman
If I could help them move some wood they were struggling with. I was digging bottles didnt find any but found some amazing good frinds. These guys have adopted me as their "son". They are priceless compared to any treasures. They ended up supplying me with more than enough antiques to start my antique store. Love the hunt and everything that comes with it. Nie keys! Happy hunting!!

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good on ya' for the good deed and the permission. The IH Penny's seem to like you, congrats on the old keys as well, a welcomed find any day.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We raked up 24 loader buckets of leaves off the yard last year-ya interested? :laughing7:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a true ambassador for he hobby, Loco. Just don't tell the property owners your nickname is "Loco," they might think you are some kind of Central American drug cartel hitman... great hunt too, I like all of those little skeleton keys! Sub 8-)

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're the man for doing that deed and good returns for it! I also like the keys. On my bucket list and you got three, kill n me! Lol!

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all who posted, I try to write about issues that might assist a newbie or green member, especially when it comes to getting permissions. I was a cub scout, a boy scout and then volunteered and wore the Army uniform for 27 years. I pride myself on selfless service and try to treat others as I would like to be treated. Helping out seniors is just part of my continuing selfless service. I rather donate my time rather than my money, it makes it more personal. I hope more people take time to do this. What a better place our country will be if more took time to be neighborly. As for helping you rake leaves pepperj, I must decline, I am certain you have pounded your property and if you count leaves in bucket loads, you seem to be well equipped to perform this annual requirement. I am still raking leaves on tarps and dragging them to the curb. I have 2 blisters from yesterday, thankfully they heal quickly.

Last edited:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking collection of keys!!!! So many wheat pennies this year is driving us crazy as well!!! At least ya pulled an Injun!!!! :icon_thumleft:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer day Loco! Congrats on the new permission, nice hunt and IH, but the good deed is definitely the best. It's too bad more people don't take up the offers for help. Giving someone a hand for a couple hours is a great feeling.

DW Dirt Whisperer

Jan 11, 2014
El Paso Texas
Detector(s) used
2 Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the help. love them keys. i have so many different types of keys lol. I have a good plan for all the keys but it will time some time for me to make it. great finds

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice keys and Indian Head Cent. Digging any of those is always a quick pick-me-up!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you L.D. I have been getting VERY lazy in this last year. I just haven't felt like researching nor looking for new permissions.
I do OK in the places I frequent but I'm just not putting much effort into finding a "new" place. A shame too, at one time I used to be pretty devastating in doing research.

Anyway, this ain't about me it's about your success. Glad to hear of it and hopes for many excellent saves to come.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now thats a cool looking .18 cents if ya ask me :icon_thumright: I'll trade ya .18 of my cents i found today for yours! :laughing7: congrats on the finds :occasion14:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a bird statue thingy just like that and mine had a big hole in it too. What do you think they were used for? Are those clock keys? Great good deed on helping out Loco, karma will do you well for a good deed my friend.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a bird statue thingy just like that and mine had a big hole in it too. What do you think they were used for? Are those clock keys? Great good deed on helping out Loco, karma will do you well for a good deed my friend.

From my research it appears to be an Antique Cast Toy Bird Whistle

il_fullxfull_710115609_s8lc.jpg

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool! That whistle is really neat! Those keys are cool too! Might be to a cabinet (or cabinets) or maybe a china cabinet?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread