1800 Draped Bust Dime!!!!!!!!!!!!

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Hello all.......I cannot believe what I found tonight!!!!!.........well, let me back up 3 years to let you know how I ended up swinging a loop where I did after work tonight......my brother works with a guy who happens to own about 500 acres of hay fields (all neatly divided by old stone walls) in Western Mass. (The Beautiful Berkshires)

He learned of our hobby and said (3 years ago) to help yourself to checking out my fields anytime you want and we hit the fields hard for the first year with only a Buffalo nickel to show for our efforts. The next year (2007) I took a friend of mine out into the very middle of one field and completely out of the blue we found 3 Large Cents within about 10 feet of each other (1801,1803 Draped Bust and a really nice 1787 NJ Copper)........and so we POUNDED that one particular field for the rest of that summer and NOTHING else. I mean literally coming home with clean hands.

I did not even hit these fields at all last year and then last week, lacking for a new place to go, I decided to back to the "Large Cent Field"........this time something caught my eye near the edge of the field.......it was 4 square field stones, in the shape of a square (maybe a 20x20 shack, house, cabin, who knows?......and this "foundation" was about 200 feet from where the Large Cents came from.......so I start focusing on this area and I immediately get an 1906 Indian Head at about 4 inches and then 5 feet from that I get a quarter signal (+87 on my XLT) also at 4 inches and I was THRILLED to pull out an 1918-s Standing Liberty Quarter........it's been a REALLY slow year for me and this was only my 6th silver all year........so yes, I was VERY HAPPY!

Was thinking about that spot all week and finally got a chance to go back tonight and grid out a larger area, moving away from the 4 stones, getting closer to the spot where the large cents came from........with clean hands and daylight going away fast I was really just roaming around a little, getting ready to head home when I get a +74/+75 reading and when I checked the depth it was coming up around 5 inches.........hmmmm......that's a deep Wheat Cent I thought and dug my plug..................it fell right out of the very bottom of my plug into my hands.........thought I had Spanish silver at first until I saw "Liberty"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........knew exactly what it was and with trembling hands and knees somehow drove home..........This is my very best find of my life and I am sooooo happy to be able to share it with you all!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a couple questions and please feel free to chime in with any grade and/or value you may think.......I am thinking Fine but that is really just a guess.........and does anyone see something odd with the "18" in the date......maybe a re-cut die?.........also, are Draped Bust Dimes attributed like other coins? I'm very curious if someone can put a rarity or variety number on this.........thank you all for reading this and looking at the pics, may you all stumble across something like this very soon.

HH all!

Greg
(yes, I'm going back to that field in the morning :-)

Attachments

• 1800 reversedirty.JPG
    1800 reversedirty.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 4,845
  • 1800drapedbustobv2.JPG
    1800drapedbustobv2.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 4,832
  • 1800drapedbustobv3 .JPG
    1800drapedbustobv3 .JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 4,784
  • 1800drapedbustobv.JPG
    1800drapedbustobv.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 4,743
  • 1800drapedbustobvclean.JPG
    1800drapedbustobvclean.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 4,827
  • 1800reversedirty.JPG
    1800reversedirty.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 4,749
  • 1800reverseclean.JPG
    1800reverseclean.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 4,738
Upvote 19

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I am confident that this piece will go banner soon. I have played with the pic and added a close up of the 1798 dime. I can't find any printed references to a re-worked die variant of 1800 over 1798 (they did not mint 1799). It would be very difficult to do and evidence would surely be seen. I guess that the raised defects are from die wear. One thing is for certain, it's a coin that everyone dreams about finding.

Attachments

• compare.JPG
    compare.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 3,178

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find.I dream of finding one of thous every time I go out digging.....for me that would be like finding the holy grail ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
1235CE

1235CE

May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
creeper71 said:
Don there is a 7 there an the tip of the 1 under the 1 that you see... I tried to copy your photo you had an circle the areas that I'm referring too..but the dang photos are lost in my PC somewhere an I'm very irritated cause I can't find them to show you... but they are there.... it is not a die mark.. if it is one heck of a quiescence that it looks like a 7 an a 1

Thank you for your efforts Creeper........I agree with you completely..........die cutting was very primitive back in the day and this just honestly looks like a number of errors that were attempted to be fixed with filing down of the die and re-cutting some digits......again, not saying I have anything extra special here but new varieties have to be found by somebody.....right?

OP
OP
1235CE

1235CE

May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
hogge said:
creeper71 said:
Don there is a 7 there an the tip of the 1 under the 1 that you see... I tried to copy your photo you had an circle the areas that I'm referring too..but the dang photos are lost in my PC somewhere an I'm very irritated cause I can't find them to show you... but they are there.... it is not a die mark.. if it is one heck of a quiescence that it looks like a 7 an a 1
ALSO....Look at the first"0"...It appears there is some number underneath it. (Looks like a"7") to me. The stem of the number is pretty clear running through the opening of the first"0". And the top of the number is just above the "0". Does anyone else see this?

Hogge, I thought the same thing (the stem of "7" through the first "0")..............until I saw Evolutions etch-a-sketch (lol) drawing of the "9" within the "0"..........makes a whole lot more sense if we are leaning towards an 1800 over 1798..........and the stem would still be similar........

OP
OP
1235CE

1235CE

May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Evolution said:
I think I see the remnants of a 9 under the first 0. I also see something under the 8 but its not too clear to my eyes. Great find!!!!! :headbang:

Thank you Evolution for the time you spent with the drawing...........I'm sorry Don, I always see that you help people on here a lot with their questions but I think you may be mistaken this time .........not going to pull any punches here but that is a "high 9" under the first "0" all day long..........and some of tomorrow.

Don, one thing you mentioned is that does have me puzzled.........you say that there are 2 known reverses but both reverses share the same obverse die.........if that is true that would mean that 1 single obverse die lasted for all 21,760 coins.......but I find some Mint State examples of the 1800 on-line that don't have my "date problems"........wouldn't all 1800 dimes have the same date as me?........just trying to learn as I go here........

OP
OP
1235CE

1235CE

May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Again, thank you all for your kind word and help, I really appreciate it!!!!........went back to the field again tonight and came up with 2 more old buttons (man, they look like large cents coming out of the hole sometimes......lol).........I'm sorry, no new pics of buckles and such today, just really whipped and ready for bed.....I'll post the pics tomorrow........

Well, looks like no 1st banner for me this time but I'll keep trying............and if no banner, I'm guessing it's because I didn't find it before, during or after a hurricane, it didn't come with a clarity rating from a jeweler and I can't crush corn meal in a stone bowl with it. ::)

and that rant is not going to help me either...... :D

Goodnight folks, happy hunting!

Greg

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Let's get this out of the way...BANNER!!!!

Just Beautiful!! ENVY has just showed up her ugly head here, btw.

I guess of all my favorite US coins, these early ones are my favorites, including the Flowing Hair types.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I see remnants of the top circle of the 8 in 1798, circled in blue. They moved the whole 1800 to the right, but the remnant of the top circle of the 8 in the re-worked die is still in the original 1798 position. Very interesting.

Attachments

• compare2.JPG
    compare2.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 3,067

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Congratulations on making the banner. It is well deserved. I was going to have a fit it I didn't see it up top. WTG! I'd go hit that site again and again.... There's gotta be a quarter there to match the dime LOL!

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
man that is way cool !! i mean that gets the blood pumping big time ive found some old dimes but about 50 years newer. congrats. willy.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had a doubt that it would make it! Yes Greg your assumption on a "New" die variety follows a logical path. I think it could POSSIBLY,( I use this loosely), be a new die variety. It could have been a 1798 - Filled in and Recut obverse die, that they tried for a few strikes and then discarded, and this particular coin found it's way into circulation. :dontknow: You have to remember too, the Philadelphia Mint was in it's infantcy then. All I know is, for whatever reason, there ARE errors in this coin. I would take it to an EXPERT, not some SCHMUCK in Pittsfield. There are actually a couple people I know of. 1 is Northeast Numismatics in Concord Ma. I would send pics first and see what he says. There have been several new die varieties of Connecticuts discovered in recent years, (not to mention others), so it's not out of the relm of possibility at all. BUT, there are ALOT of questions and research that would have be done to actually confirm this assumption. Is yours a JR-1 or Jr-2 reverse die? It appears to me, the beak touches the 12 star but can't quite make it out. It makes sense to me that if it was a 1798 obverse die, they used the earlier, (or first), reverse die also. :icon_scratch: :dontknow: Trust me, and I'm NO EXPERT BUT, if you have a new die variety, and a numisist confirms it, He'll be as excited as you will for getting credit for the discovery. Don can also help you, as he has many contacts in the coin world. He is probably the best one on here. X-Terra- is also very knowledgeable.... CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS COIN IN THE METAL!!! I'll talk to ya later. INCREDIBLE Bud! Todd :notworthy:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that sure is one beautifuler looking coin. You also got my banner vote.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Congrats on a well-deserved banner, Greg! :headbang:

Keep hitting that field hard. There are more coppers and relics to find...and maybe another early American silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions