Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This big worn out beauty is the absolute LAST thing I expected to see at the bottom of the hole.

FINALLY after 35 years I have my FIRST seated Half dollar. Yep...I know...it's worn out...but I couldn't care less.

I had called my bro... the Yeti....but he had some family stuff to do and couldn't come with me.

When I got done with my mowing....I contacted Darrell (SwampThing) so we could do some hunting.

Luckily my brother had mowed most of dad's lots this time...so in 3 hours I was done. :icon_thumleft:

We went to Darrell's cabin site and the grass was mashed down from all the farm equipment in use.

We hunted nearly 3 hours before I got a hit worth investigating. It ended up being the 1890 Injun from 9". :headbang:

About 1 hour later I got my second...and last hit for the day.

I was hoping for a silver 3 cent piece as I don't believe I have ever found one of those. I remember reading somebody's post about how theirs hit...and it was similar to what this one was doing....kind of riding down the far right edge of the smartfind screen.

I called over "Heavy D" :laughing7: ...and he agreed it was a strange hit...but did have a silver "warble" to it.

We got down about 7" and hit a big root. I then dug a little tunnel underneath it so I could run the probe.

At about 9" the probe sounded off...but it was a little broken up with the tone. :icon_scratch:

We carefully dug around the root so we could get the hole larger. We are out in the middle of nowhere...so a messy hole ain't gonna' hurt nothin' :laughing9:

There was one little part of the root that was stubborn ??? ...so I gave it one quick push with the Predator digger... but it slipped off the root and smacked off of something hard in the hole 8) ...UH OH! ???

I then caught the edge of a big rim peeping out from under the root :icon_thumleft: .....so I immediately knew it wasn't a 3 cent piece. I saw it was slightly on edge. Not straight on edge...but enough so that it made the probe sound funny over it. I also then realized that I had nicked it DEEP with the Predator digger!

I was thinking seated quarter because Darrell and I have pulled some 2 centers..seated...half dimes..bust dimes..and more from here.

"Heavy D" ;D tried to stick his big mitt in the hole...but I popped him on the knuckles with the Predator :laughing9: and said..."Let me have the honors on this one bro"

I scraped around the dirt and then realized it wasn't a quarter rim...it was BIGGER still. :headbang:

I snatched it out of the hole and then started trembling because I knew it was a half.

The dirt was caked on it pretty good and I didn't want to rub it...but then the excitement got the best of me.
I gave it a rub so much of the crusty dirt came off and I could see the BIG outline of a SEATED LADY! :hello2:

Holy crap....a coin I never thought I'd find!

Darrell and I have hit this spot MANY times over the last couple of years...but if you are patient enough to understand you might dig only one or two coins in 4 hours...if ANY...then there is always hope of it coughing up a keeper.

When I got home I rubbed it a little more to get some more of the dirt crud to crumble off of it..and I then saw where I had clearly nicked it..and nicked it quite well I might add 8) ...right along the bottom between the F and D...and all the way to the bottom rim! In fact it's not a scratch...it's a deep gouge...but I can't help it...the predator stabbed it good when it slipped off the root. ::) OH WELL...It's MINE...I DUG it...and it's my first seated half EVER! :icon_thumleft:

Darrell got what we think is another 2 center for him...but it looks more like a greenish, rusty slug right now...so he has it soaking in oil.

Anyway...thanks for sharing this with me...and good luck on your next hunt.

Attachments

• coins240.jpg
    coins240.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,373
  • coins241.jpg
    coins241.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,361
  • coins242.jpg
    coins242.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 1,358
  • coins243.jpg
    coins243.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,366
  • coins244.jpg
    coins244.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,357
  • coins245.jpg
    coins245.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,355
  • coins246.jpg
    coins246.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,342
Upvote 0

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: wtg sweet coin

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW Dude ~ very nice! That's cool ~ my only Seated Half is an 1876 also! CONGRAT'S!!

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Nice find bryce!!!!! ya beat me by one year ,, I dug one seated half,,1877 ,,,,about 12 or 13 years ago,, they are hard to come by!!!!

Real happy for ya ,,,, their still out there but very rare..

SWING AHEAD BRYCE!!! :headbang:

ARTHUR

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck yeah! :headbang: I've got only two of 'em in almost 2 decades.

I may have to change my avatar. Some EXCELLENT finds posted on the forum today!

Cheers,

Buckles

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
great dig on the seated half! What are your tricks to getting coins at 9"+ ie what settings do you alter that make the biggest difference?

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Bryce on the 1876 Seated Half!! :hello2:
I know the feeling of elevated heart rate,
sweaty palms and "cotton mouth" as I had
them all when I found my 1866-s Seated Half
earlier this year. The little nick isn't that bad
but I know that you feel bad.....but S*#t happens
when you are digging in dry dirt. At least you can
cross that one off your "wanted" list. :thumbsup:
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Very nice...hopin I don't have to wait 35 years! :tongue3: Just to clarify, you got yourself a "centennial" coin there!! :icon_thumright:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice, the little nick could have been a major gash, just the luck of the draw.

I always carry around a nice folding saber toothed wood saw when in root country, these things cut through small/medium roots like butter, well worth the $15 or so investment.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You da man Bryce! CONGRATS on your first seated half. :occasion14: :occasion18: :headbang:
Great story too. :icon_thumleft:
If it took you 35 years to find one, I have a looooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go. :(
Way to go buddy,
MM

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My hat's off to ya Bryce......Sweet recovery and well deserved :headbang:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome seated half congrats I need one of those to go with my 1876 seated quarter.

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A BIG Congratulations on that one silverfreak.......

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
WTG Bryce, Congrats on the seated lady :thumbsup: Big silver is getting harder to find !!!! Have a good one and good luck on your next hunt :thumbsup:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Congrats on your first Seated Half Bryce. I only found 1. 1859 in great shape. I found it right in front of Kirk and Kyle when I was showing them what metal detecting was all about many years ago. I was whooping it up and they thought I was nuts. You hardly nicked it. You did great my friend.
Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread