1800s House

trueblue40

Greenie
Sep 21, 2006
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Prism IV
1800's House

I've discovered an area that has a house built in the 1800's near a river. Supposedly there were about 6 other house's there at one time, but they are long since gone. I got permission from the caretaker to do some detecting on the property, but first time out only found junk. It seems like this area would have alot of potential. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to look for in terrain to see if I can locate where these other house once where. Any help would be appreciated.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Re: 1800's House

I think maybe the answer would be in the "junk" your finding. Old nails, especially the square ones, Cast iron parts, old kitchen items, bricks, stove pipes, and things like this and your close to the actual structure site. After awhile analyzing your junk will tell you when, and who lived there. Children, adult men, and adult women discard different items. This "detective work" is alot of the fun of the search. Show us some pictures when you've been back.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Look for depressions in the ground such as cellar holes, etc. Look for foundations. If the place is plowed, look for pieces of brick, pottery, etc. Other than that, find old maps of the area, and try to find one that gives the house locations, or at least how they were grouped. If they were in a straight line or a U-shaped configuration, for example, that would tell you more about how to work the site. Depending on when the houses were torn down, talk to old-timers or anyone who might remember where the houses stood. In fact, talk to the oldest folks in the community. You might get information about many other potential sites that way!!! Let them tell their stories, and take notes (we never remember everything, even if we think we won't forget...) Look in the historical society or archives for old photographs of the area. You might save lots of hunting time by doing this. Keep digging there. You'll find some keepers eventually!

OP
OP
T

trueblue40

Greenie
Sep 21, 2006
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Prism IV

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I will post pics when I go back and hopefully find something. ;D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Let us know what you find, trueblue! Either post on this thread or post a link to a thread in another forum.

Best of Luck,

Buckleboy

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

Look for any larger trees around the front of the house or the back of the house. Maybe some good items were cached near the trees.
HH !!!!!

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab

BuckleBoy said:
Look for depressions in the ground such as cellar holes, etc. Look for foundations. If the place is plowed, look for pieces of brick, pottery, etc.

Buckleboy has that info right! One other thing is if its open fields look for rises in the field. Areas that are a little higher than other parts of the field. Back then folks would build their houses on the high ground.

OP
OP
T

trueblue40

Greenie
Sep 21, 2006
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Prism IV

Well I haven't made it back out to the old house yet, work and weather not cooperating. I did play around in my back yard yesterday and found this brass humming bird. At least it was good practice. ;D

Attachments

• back yard 2-11-07_edited.jpg
    back yard 2-11-07_edited.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 877

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

TB 40: Welcome to the Net! Your Bird find may be a good sign that the yard hasn't been hunted before! Good Luck!

HH Joe

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome & HH Fossis......................... ;D

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Wishing you the best of luck, anything you dig up from an old site is interesting and a clue. And alot of the time you have to dig up the junk to get to the good stuff ;)

OP
OP
T

trueblue40

Greenie
Sep 21, 2006
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Prism IV

I finally made it back yesterday. Didn't find munch but here is a pic of what I did find. The dime is a 1969, teh sppon has sterling stamped on it and the three way pipe has patent 1902 stamped on it. I searched the woods around the house and the river bank. I will be going again, I would believe there is much more to find. ;D

Attachments

• misc found.jpg
    misc found.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 797

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Yes river banks are foten good, woman washed their clothes their, and/or took water from it. They might even have taken a fast 'bath' in teh water in hot days, or been sitting under big trees. Wells are somehting to check as well.
Look where it would have been easy to loose stuff. Old dirt roads might be a nice place to check out as well..

R

redstarr

I live in an 1800's house, and when I was researching my house, I used the Sanborn Fire Maps. These might help you out,too. They were made by a fire insurance company, so they show really detailed views of alot of the homes. Like on mine, it showed all the rooms of the house and the porches and out buildings and everything. Might show that kind of stuff for your site,too. Worth looking up. I was able to access them on line through my husbands's university library ID, but if you can't get ahold of them on line, the ones in my area are available at the country records office, might be available there in your area,too.

OP
OP
T

trueblue40

Greenie
Sep 21, 2006
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Prism IV

Thanks for the info. But I'm not sure I can find anything on this house. It's the last one standing out of 6 others. It is also kinda in an out of the way place. I've been trying to search to find any maps that might show where the other houses were. Some information I have gotten said there was a post office on the river that serviced the area. I haven't been able to find any information on that either. Will keep on searching though. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread