Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some free time this weekend, so I finished the shadowbox for the owners of the 1804 house I started detecting a few months ago.
This is a great way for some of you to show your appreciation to the owners of the properties you detect at, and it can be done for less than $15.
All you need is a shadowbox ($13.00 at Michael's on sale), some silicone or tacky (flexible type) glue, and about 1 hour of time. I just lay everything out on the black backing, arrange how you like it, then glue each piece in place one at a time. Let it dry over night, and attached the back to the box. Finished!
Let's face it, there is nothing here worth much $, but when grouped together it becomes a piece of art that any property owner would be proud to display.
I don't mind giving up a worn Barber & Merc dime to make someone happy, not to mention the friendship you'll be making, and possible future references to other properties.
Have a good one,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,189
  • MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,194
  • MVC-026S.JPG
    MVC-026S.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,187
  • MVC-027S.JPG
    MVC-027S.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,187
  • MVC-028S.JPG
    MVC-028S.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,176
  • MVC-029S.JPG
    MVC-029S.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,181
  • MVC-030S.JPG
    MVC-030S.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,192
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rtde3 said:
Those are so cool Doug! Well done as always! :thumbsup:

Thanks Rob.
They just look neat on a wall. They draw a persons curiosity & attention to them.
-Doug-

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great idea. I always just give them a pile of stuff and tell them they should frame it with the address. You have done a splendid job and you are a great ambassador for our humble hobby.
TnMountains

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
That is awesome, and I'm sure the homeowner was thrilled with it. Very nice of you to put that together for them.

Jim

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Wow! Great finds. Check out my post. Most of mine came from an old 1850's house.

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Doug,
I use acid free rubber cement for some lighter items.
And it cleans off easily if you ever want to remove an item.

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes indeed that is very cool, I'm sure they are going to love it, well done! :thumbsup: is that everything that you found or do you have some keepers?

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Nice shadow box and some very nice relics inside. I'm sure the owner will be proud of that.
Keep up the good work. You're making us look good. :)
Randy

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a good idea. bet they really liked that.

HH

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
You consistently impress us every time you post, Dug! The finds are secondary to the lasting friendships that are made with the landowners. Your generosity is greatly appreciated by the landowners and the rest of the relic hunting community. :thumbsup:

Kyle

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"BUT WHEN GROUPED TOGETHER"......Still a Class Act Doug :thumbsup:

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Doug.....that nearly brought tears to my eyes. That was such a nice gesture and I know they will get years of enjoyment out of it! Your name will be included in the history of the house......and if the house didn't already have it's own personality, it does now! You made me very proud being a fellow detectorist today. Thanks for sharing the finished product......it turned out beautiful!! WTG buddy!! :thumbsup:

HH,
Moon

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you did an awesome job on that shadow box!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey, Big Guy, congrats on such a great year so far! Awesome display case as well. It shows your character as a detectorist.

Kirk

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
That is a great idea. I always just give them a pile of stuff and tell them they should frame it with the address. You have done a splendid job and you are a great ambassador for our humble hobby.
TnMountains

Thanks TnM.
These are very easy to make and it is wall ready.
-MM-

Kirk PA said:
Hey, Big Guy, congrats on such a great year so far! Awesome display case as well. It shows your character as a detectorist.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk.
I may have reached my detecting peak with that NC buckle, but I'm going to keep trying. :thumbsup:
Say "hello" to those Colonial coins for me. ;D
-Doug-

Moonshadow said:
Doug.....that nearly brought tears to my eyes. That was such a nice gesture and I know they will get years of enjoyment out of it! Your name will be included in the history of the house......and if the house didn't already have it's own personality, it does now! You made me very proud being a fellow detectorist today. Thanks for sharing the finished product......it turned out beautiful!! WTG buddy!! :thumbsup:

HH,
Moon

Thank you very much Moon. :thumbsup:
-MM-

KylePA said:
You consistently impress us every time you post, Dug! The finds are secondary to the lasting friendships that are made with the landowners. Your generosity is greatly appreciated by the landowners and the rest of the relic hunting community. :thumbsup:

Kyle

Thanks Buddy.
Something like this means a lot to me too. These property owners are usually elderly folks, and they love to see some of the relics of the past. Normally they don't remember any of the relics though. ;D
-Dug-

postalgriff said:
yes indeed that is very cool, I'm sure they are going to love it, well done! :thumbsup: is that everything that you found or do you have some keepers?

Postal,
The only thing I kept from this property so far was a nice gilt flower button for my collection. Although I don't find many old silver coins like the Barber dime in the display, it really isn't worth much. It looks better in a display rather than seeing it melted down in the future.
I have a lot more of this place to cover, but am waiting until tick season is gone. ;D
-MM-

THANKS EVERYONE. If you ever have any questions on making one of these, just PM me. They are very easy to make, and will bring joy to the family for many generations.
-MM-

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Decades of valuable historical information about the home inhabitants in one box. Great job Doug-I didn't see any naughty tokens in this box. HH.

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
I have the exact same plan for a place I am currently detecting. Been producing a lot of interesting finds and the place itself is loaded with history hanging on the walls. I figured an Appreciation Shadowbox would fit in very well with the stuff they had.

Yours turned out great! Thanks for sharing that with us all and I would strongly recommend doing it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions