1816 1/2 Real

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Attachments

• compare.jpg
    compare.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 350
OP
OP
D

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
Captn_SE said:
I see somewhat of a resemblance of the bust of your coin, George, with the 2 Reale one, but certainly not an exact match....Maybe the 1/2 Real bust would be different. ???

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan ,

Gee Dan , I don't think there would be that much difference being it's the same mint and all , unless mine was
made by a drunken apprentice .You never know though .I'm really anxious to gaze upon an 1816 1/2 Real from that mint . Thanks again to you and all the guys for helping me out with this . I'm really enjoying our detective work here !!

H H ,
George

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's probably a genuine issue.

I have an auction book from Spain and it has a listing for an 1812 8 Reale from the Zacatecas mint and is quite crude compared to the other coins. I translated the description and it comes out as, "loose minting in this type of emission" I am guessing that means crude / oddly struck, therefore taking away some of the mystery from the 1816, they were just made that way. Great find and it was fun!

PS... The 8 reale is priced at 450 Euros! ...and it isn't anything special to look at. You might have a little value in that coin.

(By the Way.. I didn't read any of the above until I posted if I seem like I'm repeating previous thoughts. I do now think it's a "real" real)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Several years ago, coins of this type (1/2 real "Zs" dated between 1813 and 1819 were valued at between 30% to 60% of the comparable coin dated either 1811 or 1812. And those dated either 1820 or 1821 were valued at slightly less than the 1831-1819 series.

If those value ratios still hold true today, you still have a valuable coin based on IP's findings.
Don.......

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I read on the internet yesterday was that the Rebel's took over the Z mint for a period of time during the war, perhaps that might explain the crudeness of the 1816, just a thought. I still think the only way we will know for sure is from legimate photos. I did find a few photos of Z minted 8 Reales and the lettering and numbers were not crude in appearance at all, but pretty hard to compare an 8 Reale with a Half Real. :)

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread