paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried out two new permissions this weekend; one on Friday and one on Saturday. Both were promising houses dating back to the early 1800's and one had never been hunted before. Both had targets to find, but it was surprisingly standard fare. Mason jar lids, suspenders clip, tons of wheat pennies/clad, but little to no silver and not so much as an IHP. I did find a nice sterling ring at the Saturday permission but it was less than an inch down and still tangled in the sod layer so I assumed it was recently lost by the owner and went to return it. Surprisingly enough it was actually from the 50's and she had never seen it before, but loved how it looked and it actually fit so I gifted it to her in thanks. It really was a nice ring so I'm glad it will get worn again. Should have snapped a photo of it though.:tongue3:

So on Sunday I decided to go to proven ground and went back to the yard where I had found my first silver half. Enough time had passed where the grass would be all healed and it also poured here Friday and Saturday so I figured the ground would be wet. Not so much, but I had a much better day anyways.

DSC00987.JPG DSC00988.JPG DSC00990.JPG

Very first target was a silver quarter, three targets later was the second. By the end I had found $1.00 in silver quarters, a bunch of wheat pennies, and not a single dime. Go figure. I also found an 1817 large cent in great condition, but it rang a very weird consistent 86-87 on the AT Pro and was only 2" down. I'm wondering if the dry ground was why it didn't ring in the low 90's like they usually do.

DSC00993.JPG

This copper mesh coin purse was the coolest relic, but sadly did not have any coins in it.

DSC00991.JPG DSC00996.JPG DSC00997.JPG DSC00998.JPG DSC00999.JPG DSC01000.JPG

Lots of other interesting relics including a 1936 Orphan Annie decoder! There was also the tiniest ox knob I've found to date, and a a fairly intact oil wick holder from 1890. The carved bone button was inside a random piece of iron and I only found it when I was cleaning out the dirt. The last piece looks like silver, but it could just be plated. Any ideas on what it is?

DSC00994.JPG DSC00995.JPG

This yard has been great and I definitely want to go back when the ground is wet. So far I've found nearly $3 in silver as well as now three LCs, but no barber coinage which seems strange so I'll keep hunting it until I find where it's hiding.

Upvote 16

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found one of those before, circa 1920s-30s mechanical pencil. Usually triple plate sterling but they can also be solid silver if they are higher end.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver dollar.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome bunch of finds, I seem to give most of my ring finds away, especially when they try them on and they fit but my wife gets first shot at them.

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello paleomaxx. Wow!! Now that is a good hunt. Thanks for the post and Good Luck out there. C9

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking hunt with really good digs. That purse is really cool, too bad it wasn't full of standers and walkers...next time!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Paleomaxx..You had some mighty fine hunting. Four silver quarters in one hunt is fantastic. That would make my month. But add a beautiful large cent to the mix....double wow. I dug a 1820 large cent the other day , and it rang up as a solid " 81". Its interesting how very similar coins can have very different VDI's. Congratulations and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread