1820, 1883 & 1900s house finds

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
1820, 1883 & 1900's house finds

Catching up a bit here....

There is a house that I pass on the way to work that has been abandoned for at least a year.

Coreysplace2.jpg

If you let your home go the city will get after you. I saw the “pink slip” posted on the front door and that is how I got the owner's adress. I offered to cut the grass in order to be able to detect. A no brainer the guy told me yes!

Columbiardtamed.jpg

I had high hopes for the place but after two hours of mowing and another hour of detecting all I had was a few wheat pennies. Nate and I came back at a later date and hit it good. Too much fill. Third time back I did find a little pocket spill from the early 70's:

70spocketspill.jpg

I think it is my first Silver Canadian King George Quarter.

Rest of the stuff from the house(I might go back one more time):

Columbiardfinds.jpg

Another cool find was this Quarter made into a necklace. I found it at a local high school.
RRschoolfinds.jpg

So a couple weeks ago Don calls me at work: “I've worked frikin 30 days in a row!” he complains. “But tomorrow I'm taking the day off and going detecting.” “Good” I say, “I'm in!” An hour later he calls to tell me he got permission to hunt this 1820's home that has been in the Ichabod (fictitious name) family for 8 generations.

Pioneerhome1820.jpg

Donat1820home.jpg

We both had high expectations but it turned out to be a big disappointment. We found out from the owner as our field observations had told us that it all had been bulldozed and filled in. An hour into the hunt Don declares “This sucks!”. No denials from me but I wanted to give it more time. Don reluctantly agreed while scheming plan B. Don didn't really have plan B as this place would have taken all day had it panned out.
The Bogus finds:
1820homefinds.jpg

So plan B took some time to hatch but we ended up at a home built in 1883. Don knew the guy and he was real friendly and enjoyed watching us hunt and see our finds. Again there was only one small area out front that was “original”.
TOmwatchingDondig.jpg

The whole back yard was “redone”.
1883homeback.jpg

We made a few good finds so the day wasn't a waste. Also, we do plan on going back to the 1820's home and hunting the fields in the fall. The silver rosie was from a different hunt out in Sandusky.

Silver.jpg

SilverReverse.jpg

HH all and Enjoy the Warmth.

Bob

Upvote 0

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
Re: 1820, 1883 & 1900's house finds

Hey at least you found some silver to make up for mowing the guys grass. I don`t think it was enough (that grass was high) I`d be back to hit that a few more times. Nice finds regardless.WTG. Jeff

Marius

Jun 24, 2008
California
Detector(s) used
minelab x-terra 70

I really like when pple add good pictures to their story.
And i like when guys team up and do history research,not always it will esy to find good stuff but u finished with many good coins and lots of fun. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That grass cutting seemed like alot of work there Bob,nice job too!!At least the silver was good to Ya,and the quarter necklace is pretty sweet,alot of time went into making that it seem's.Congrat's on the find's :thumbsup:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good hunting! Is the cut quarter by chance silver?
Carl

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That cut quarter is very cool, yea I would say that a lot of time went into making it. Luckily its not all bent and broken. In this one occasion, I would take that clad quarter over a silver one. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Thanks guys.

civilman1 said:
That grass cutting seemed like alot of work there Bob,nice job too!!At least the silver was good to Ya,and the quarter necklace is pretty sweet,alot of time went into making that it seem's.Congrat's on the find's :thumbsup:

Joe,
It was a lot of work. I had to go over it twice in spots. :P I did it a second time also a week or so later. I had a couple people stop by and tell me it was an "eyesore". So I guess I am also doing the community a favor. ;D

curbdiggercarl57 said:
Good hunting! Is the cut quarter by chance silver?
Carl

No, the quarter is mostly copper content (nickel/copper). If it were silver I doubt it would be in one piece.

Bob

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

Silver sounds like a good day too me!!! Great job! :) That pocket knife looks like a keeper too. I would not call that a bad find.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neat post and pics Bob. Crazy what we go through to score a site to hunt isn't it? ;D
At least you were rewarded with some silver.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Cool post. Nice digs and the reward was silver and a great time. :) jgas

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great pics, Bob. Thanks for mowing that lawn, a big difference from the eyesore. I think the cutout quarter was a neat find, been years since I've seen the metal horse cookie cutter...another neat find.

:wink: RR

silvergirl

Jul 12, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
prizm IV and MXT

:thumbsup:Good job every step of the way. Now you know what was there. Nice finds. It would of been a bummer if you came up empty handed. This is a great hobby. H.H. Silvergirl

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bob,
You are a great guy for mowing that lawn for the owner. Sorry it didn't pan out as planned.
Any time you want to mow my lawn and dig you are welcome. :wink:
Some nice silver, but the cut out quarter jewelry piece was a very unique find. :thumbsup:
I would have been drooling over that 2nd place. It looks like a detectorists dream spot. You never know.
Heck, I went with a guy once to a 1910 farmhouse and he dug an 1854 LC. Oh yeah, that was yesterday. :tongue3:
Take care Buddy. We have your room ready for your winter hunt down here in NC. You get to sleep with Sud's. ::)
-Doug-

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

ModernMiner said:
Bob,
You are a great guy for mowing that lawn for the owner. Sorry it didn't pan out as planned.
Any time you want to mow my lawn and dig you are welcome. :wink:
Some nice silver, but the cut out quarter jewelry piece was a very unique find. :thumbsup:
I would have been drooling over that 2nd place. It looks like a detectorists dream spot. You never know.
Heck, I went with a guy once to a 1910 farmhouse and he dug an 1854 LC. Oh yeah, that was yesterday. :tongue3:
Take care Buddy. We have your room ready for your winter hunt down here in NC. You get to sleep with Sud's. ::)
-Doug-

Doug,
Just reserve February for me. :wink: When you coming up to the Mirage pad? We have lots of wheat pennies and if you miss suds you can sleep with Max. You won't have to worry about rolling over him in the middle of the night. ;D :D

The 1820's home still has promise. Usually even if a place has been reworked you can find some place on the property that is close to original. The most original parts were out front where we were getting crazy interference from the power lines and the cornfield which was obviously with corn.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Mirage,

I love reading your posts, I especially like the pictures. I'm trying to find more houses to detect myself but it's getting harder and harder to get permission! Keep it up!

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread