1820, 1883 & 1900s house finds

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
1820, 1883 & 1900's house finds

Catching up a bit here....

There is a house that I pass on the way to work that has been abandoned for at least a year.

Coreysplace2.jpg

If you let your home go the city will get after you. I saw the “pink slip” posted on the front door and that is how I got the owner's adress. I offered to cut the grass in order to be able to detect. A no brainer the guy told me yes!

Columbiardtamed.jpg

I had high hopes for the place but after two hours of mowing and another hour of detecting all I had was a few wheat pennies. Nate and I came back at a later date and hit it good. Too much fill. Third time back I did find a little pocket spill from the early 70's:

70spocketspill.jpg

I think it is my first Silver Canadian King George Quarter.

Rest of the stuff from the house(I might go back one more time):

Columbiardfinds.jpg

Another cool find was this Quarter made into a necklace. I found it at a local high school.
RRschoolfinds.jpg

So a couple weeks ago Don calls me at work: “I've worked frikin 30 days in a row!” he complains. “But tomorrow I'm taking the day off and going detecting.” “Good” I say, “I'm in!” An hour later he calls to tell me he got permission to hunt this 1820's home that has been in the Ichabod (fictitious name) family for 8 generations.

Pioneerhome1820.jpg

Donat1820home.jpg

We both had high expectations but it turned out to be a big disappointment. We found out from the owner as our field observations had told us that it all had been bulldozed and filled in. An hour into the hunt Don declares “This sucks!”. No denials from me but I wanted to give it more time. Don reluctantly agreed while scheming plan B. Don didn't really have plan B as this place would have taken all day had it panned out.
The Bogus finds:
1820homefinds.jpg

So plan B took some time to hatch but we ended up at a home built in 1883. Don knew the guy and he was real friendly and enjoyed watching us hunt and see our finds. Again there was only one small area out front that was “original”.
TOmwatchingDondig.jpg

The whole back yard was “redone”.
1883homeback.jpg

We made a few good finds so the day wasn't a waste. Also, we do plan on going back to the 1820's home and hunting the fields in the fall. The silver rosie was from a different hunt out in Sandusky.

Silver.jpg

SilverReverse.jpg

HH all and Enjoy the Warmth.

Bob

Upvote 0

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: 1820, 1883 & 1900's house finds

Bob, you know you have to follow through on your instincts; sometimes it pans out, sometimes not! That silver Canadian is nice!

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Hey Bob, sorry this site did not live up to your expectations but that's the way it works. I see some nice silvers were found though so not a bad time after all. I like that quarter made into a necklace. I once found a quarter pounded into a ring believe it or not. By looking at the pics of this house I see that you are very good at cutting grass. LOL. You should hire yourself out to make some extra bucks to fund the gas for your next detecting trips :wink:
Chris

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

nice hunts, love the pics

congrats

vp

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Thanks for all the compliments.

I drove by the "abandoned" house today on my way into work after being on vacation for a week(last cut on the 10th). I looks like someone cleared some of the vines, tall weeds, plywood and such around the house. But they did not cut the grass - I guess they are leaving that to me! ::) :D This will be the third time to mow it. Maybe also my last.....

The carved out eagle is a very nice find. It's funny how an item doesn't have to be necessarily old to be such a cool find.

bookfisher said:
Why not try hunting that huge field that's visible behind the brick house?

There is corn in all the fields surrounding the house and it is very dense. We will hunt that area in the fall when the crops are down....

Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Hey Bob, sorry this site did not live up to your expectations but that's the way it works. I see some nice silvers were found though so not a bad time after all. I like that quarter made into a necklace. I once found a quarter pounded into a ring believe it or not. By looking at the pics of this house I see that you are very good at cutting grass. LOL. You should hire yourself out to make some extra bucks to fund the gas for your next detecting trips :wink:
Chris

The first time I started cutting the grass the neighbor came over and wanted to know if I was the owner. Said he had cut the grass twice in May and was hoping he could get paid for it. I told him I'd let the owner know but he's got a better deal going now. :wink: :D

Bob

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Too much fill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't ya just hate when that happens! :-\ Great idea finding the owner though! :thumbsup: I'd go back again too, just in case.

You ended up with some nice keepers from those hunts, Bob! :thumbsup:

Nana :)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice job on getting permission, made for a good hunt and finds! HH, Mike