1821 CAPPED BUST Dime.

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Talked to a friend of mine yesterday. He told me an interesting story about a man asking him if he found anything good while he was detecting. They asked each other what was the best thing you have found. The man told him about 8 months ago he was detecting a grass strip between the curb and sidewalk and found a $10 dollar gold coin.

I decided to try curbside detecting today. I started off finding some clad, mostly pennies. Found a key and other typical things. Then I found an interesting pump thingy. Then I got a reading of 11-42 on the etrac. I decided not to dig it, because I was getting tired of digging pennies. Then I dug a tin can next to it. I swung my coil over the 11-42 signal again and walked away, then thought I better dig it. I went back and dug it. pulled the plug, then pinpointed the hole. Dug a clump of dirt out and saw the shield in the middle of the eagle. I thought it was a shield nickle or two cent piece. Then realized what it was. I put it in my pouch and began to obsess about it. I took it out and put some water on it and saw the date. I packed up my things and headed home. This is a dream find for me.
Any suggestions on how to show more detail on it or should I leave it as is?
Thanks for looking. :wink:

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 873
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 871
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 862
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 864
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 855
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 857
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 857
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 852
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 863
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 868
Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Just checked James F. Ruddy's Photograde, and from what I can see from your photos, your coin would grade somewhere around Fine to Very Fine.

There's so much difference in price between the grades I think we need to see more detailed photos of the coin taken in natural light if possible.

Just checked PCGS price guide, and you DEFINATELY want to take the best pictures you can of this coin showing the highest details.

Also looks like you missed a really really rare 1822 Capped Bust Dime by just a year too early.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd leave it as is, it looks terrific and is in Incredible shape.....yeah, that's definitely a Keeper :headbang:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the Capped Bust Dime Garabaldi! :hello2:

Smart thinking to detect the 'strips'! :thumbsup:

Dave

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting the Capped Bust Dime. It always is worth looking to see if what you find might be a rare variety for that year, since despite the year having high mintage in comparison to other years, there are usually quite a few varieties, and there are collectors who collect by variety and a rare one demands a higher premium than a common variety. So despite it not being one of the rare years, I looked up and for 1821, there appears to be 10 varieties of which one is a Rarity 7 and one a Rarity 4 and the rest basically Rarity 3 and most Rarity 2 (Common).

I am not 100% sure but it appears your dime is a JR-8 variety Rarity 2, the only other possibility is a JR-9 variety but that also is a Rarity 2.

I use the photos from this website to see if I can attribute and it has for the most part been a useful tool in doing so without purchasing a book on Bust coinage.

http://rob.com/russ/collection/2042.html (this link for the JR-8 variety)

http://rob.com/russ/collection/ (Think this one shows the entire collection)

Don

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not clean it beyond soap and water, no rubbing. I have learned the hard way. It is too easy to ruin a coin's value if it is altered/tarnished in any way whatsoever. Never try electrolysis either, I ruined a couple of valuable coins that way......my big mistake on an 1802 large cent.

OP
OP
Garabaldi

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tuberale said:
Just checked James F. Ruddy's Photograde, and from what I can see from your photos, your coin would grade somewhere around Fine to Very Fine.

There's so much difference in price between the grades I think we need to see more detailed photos of the coin taken in natural light if possible.

Just checked PCGS price guide, and you DEFINATELY want to take the best pictures you can of this coin showing the highest details.

Also looks like you missed a really really rare 1822 Capped Bust Dime by just a year too early.
Took a couple more images. Thanks for the info.
Don in SJ said:
Congrats on getting the Capped Bust Dime. It always is worth looking to see if what you find might be a rare variety for that year, since despite the year having high mintage in comparison to other years, there are usually quite a few varieties, and there are collectors who collect by variety and a rare one demands a higher premium than a common variety. So despite it not being one of the rare years, I looked up and for 1821, there appears to be 10 varieties of which one is a Rarity 7 and one a Rarity 4 and the rest basically Rarity 3 and most Rarity 2 (Common).

I am not 100% sure but it appears your dime is a JR-8 variety Rarity 2, the only other possibility is a JR-9 variety but that also is a Rarity 2.

I use the photos from this website to see if I can attribute and it has for the most part been a useful tool in doing so without purchasing a book on Bust coinage.

http://rob.com/russ/collection/2042.html (this link for the JR-8 variety)

http://rob.com/russ/collection/ (Think this one shows the entire collection)

Don
Great info Don. I had not idea they has so many variations. :icon_thumleft:
Thanks all for the comments. I am going to leave it as is. :wink:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 424
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 422
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 432

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a nice dime.
I wouldnt touch it. It's perfect just the way it is.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Thanks for the additional pics, Garibaldi. I'm convinced I'm not good enough to grade this coin now. The problem is in the details.

Liberty has about 75% of the hair visible, including individual strands IMO. But the feathers on the eagle's neck reverse are nearly complete, indicating a near AU coin, even though only 75% of the eagle's wing feathers appear to be complete. At a bare minimum, the coin would rate a F-12. I believe that the average of details on the coin warrants an VF-25 or VF30 grading, but that could just be me. And that's before subtracting for whatever damage the coin sustained under Liberty's bust obverse. A handsome coin in any case. Well worth collecting, and priceless for its history to you.

OP
OP
Garabaldi

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tuberale said:
Thanks for the additional pics, Garibaldi. I'm convinced I'm not good enough to grade this coin now. The problem is in the details.

Liberty has about 75% of the hair visible, including individual strands IMO. But the feathers on the eagle's neck reverse are nearly complete, indicating a near AU coin, even though only 75% of the eagle's wing feathers appear to be complete. At a bare minimum, the coin would rate a F-12. I believe that the average of details on the coin warrants an VF-25 or VF30 grading, but that could just be me. And that's before subtracting for whatever damage the coin sustained under Liberty's bust obverse. A handsome coin in any case. Well worth collecting, and priceless for its history to you.
Thank you for your time spent and effort in responding to this post. Above and beyond my friend.
Its a Very Fine coin in my eyes. ;D Dream find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread