1829 Caped Bust Half Dime

saysitall

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2008
Sioux City, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Well, I finally found a rare coin! It's n 1829 Capped bust Half Dime in really good condition.
I took my Minelab XS down about two blocks from where I live to a big field where an old drive-in movie used to be when I was a kid. Before that there was a very old Interstate race track.
It's pretty tough searching because the grass is only cut high and there are a lot of stiff weed stems to deal with. Anyway, I was searching along when I got a really good "Silver" signal. It was only about 2 - 3 inches deep (not counting the tall grass/weeds). When I dug it up, I could tell it was silver, but only much smaller then a dime.
When I wiped the dirt off, I could tell it was old, but I didn't have my reading glasses with me (left them in the truck), so I couldn't make out the date. When I got back to the truck and put my glasses on....boy was I surprised!!!

Attachments

• 1829 Capped Bust Half Dime.jpg
    1829 Capped Bust Half Dime.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 985
Upvote 0

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey,

Dean just told me who you are. Do you remember me? You met me at your park down the street from your home last October. I was with 2 of my detecting buddies visiting from California. We were using those funny looking detectors called Explorers and were pulling coins down to 11", showing you handfuls of Injuns/Barbers/wheats/V's that we found in a heavily detected area ;D. You invited us over to detect your house, along with your neighbor's house, and I ended up finding an Indian Head penny in your backyard.

I had a great year of detecting last year, and this year has been lots of fun too. Wish I had a trip back to Iowa planned. That was so much fun!! So, you're an Explorer user now? Good decision! :thumbsup:

I'm glad you found Treasure Net. It's a great forum...lots of good people and treasure to look at and to share with others.

Congratulations again on your great find. :thumbsup: Hope you have more finds to share with us, Bob.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
Congrats on the great finds and welcome to TNet! That's a great looking half dime. :)

Do you know anything about the race track that used to be there? Was it a mile dirt track that operated in the teens? I'm from Pella, Iowa, and we had a home-town driver that raced there around 1916.

HH,

Dr. Ace

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok ... doesn't get too much better than this - great shape very cool find !

vp

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course a stunning coin, I LOVE it! I hope you hit that field REAL well and put up with the stubble...lol...good luck, hope there's more coins from that era there, HH!

OP
OP
S

saysitall

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2008
Sioux City, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Wow....thanks everyone for the nice comments and encouragement.
Captn_SE: Yes I remeber you well. I couldn't believe the coins you guys were finding up here. Dean is really getting good with his Minelab, and finding a lot of old coins. As for me....Well, I just got lucky. Dean has been trying to help me improve using the Minelab which I really appreciate.
Someone asked how long I have been hunting.....the answer is on and off since the mid seventies.
Dr. Ace: The racetrack I mentioned was actully the Interstate Fair and Raceway and dates back to the very early 1900's. Guess it was a really big deal back then drawing 10,000 people a day. Later a drive-in movie was built over part of it. It's really tough hunting but I have pulled out several silvers including a couple of Mercury dimes, a Morgan quarter, and of course the Half Dime.
The Minelab is far and away better then what we used back then. We had to pretty much dig every signal, put the trash in a pouch, and then dump it in the garbage can when we left so we didn't have to dig it up again on the next trip.
Once again.....thanks for all the nice comments.....guess I'll need to post more in the future <grin>.

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin in incredible condition! Wow... I seriously have dreams of pulling coins like that. Great find!

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh, that Bust looks like it was minted yesterday. Nice and something to be proud of. :icon_sunny:

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
ONE OF THE BEST 1829 THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN.GREAT FIND.THAT IS IN SO GOOD SHAPE ANY COLLECTOR WOULD PUT THAT IN THEIR COLLECTION.AGAIN NICE FIND---WISHED IT WAS ME HA-HA-HA

fortbball9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread