1830 sterling CROSS ?? i had to look twice

Indyfan73

Nov 5, 2008
INDIANAPOLIS
Detector(s) used
white's to many to list
i found this while hunting a local park in the area that used to be farm land and donated to the city over about 140 years ago and Incorporated into the park itself about 100 years ago.
This was at 7 inch's and VERY VERY Faint, to the point that i was debating on weather or not to dig it. decide i would and out pops this 1 1/2 tall and 1 inch wide Cross. it took a few trys to pin point before digging.

on the very bottom of the From of the cross it dates 1830.
and the images are Very ghostly looking in the face's

Attachments

• img006.jpg
    img006.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 1,661
  • img007.jpg
    img007.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 1,400
Upvote 3

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a Medal of the Immaculate Conception. The date of 1830 is not a literal date, but refers to a vision of the Virgin that occured in 1830 in Paris.

It is also called the Miraculous Medal.

http://www.inhisname.com/ourlady_miraculous.php

Best Wishes,

Buckles

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
You can probably draw some conclusions on the age of this medal from the 'CALL A PRIEST' on the back

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice chunk o silver all the same :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
briankb70 said:
scratcher said:
You can probably draw some conclusions on the age of this medal from the 'CALL A PRIEST' on the back
even the new ones say call a priest
:icon_scratch: I am trying to infer that it was probably made after telephones had been in use for some time and not an early example.

Don't take this the wrong way, what did you think I meant??

harpp

Jul 20, 2006
san jose ca.
Detector(s) used
WHITES CLASSIC 3/ WHITES M 6
heres another example... cool find still...

Attachments

• gold n silver 018 rs.jpg
    gold n silver 018 rs.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 758

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice looking cross man.

Definetly a older piece

HH Jer

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
scratcher said:

LOL. maybe the older ones said "fetch a priest"

Still a great find!

Good call BB

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
While we are on miraculous medals, has anybody else ever found one that has the inscription ending in 'to you' instead of 'to thee'?? The one I have ending in 'to you' looks really old and was found at an early site. It seems like all the modern ones end in 'to thee'. I was wondering if that could help us date these in the future. I remember when researching this quite some time ago that some of the documented earlier items (not neccessarily medals-I can't remember if it was on building walls or what) with this inscription also had 'to you' on them. I know this had to be translated originally, but I never did figure out if there was a fuzzy switchover period or if both endings have been commonly used since 1830. Anybody have anythoughts on this?

It is a great looking find Indy and one of best styles I have seen :icon_thumleft:

fancy panda

Jun 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of these, too!

I know it's been nearly 5 years since this image of the cross was posted, but I actually have an identical one that I found inside a chest from an antique store ages ago, and I'm trying to place a value on it. I can't find any examples anywhere, but the one in the photo is exactly like mine! Did you find any more information on it?

i found this while hunting a local park in the area that used to be farm land and donated to the city over about 140 years ago and Incorporated into the park itself about 100 years ago.
This was at 7 inch's and VERY VERY Faint, to the point that i was debating on weather or not to dig it. decide i would and out pops this 1 1/2 tall and 1 inch wide Cross. it took a few trys to pin point before digging.

on the very bottom of the From of the cross it dates 1830.
and the images are Very ghostly looking in the face's

cologneman

Apr 6, 2015
Northeast Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and XP Deus. Garrett Carrot and MI-6.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It must be old......I dug one recently and right next to it a 1823 large cent as well.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
as both a catholic and religious medal lover -- I can be of help --the 1830 is the date the "miracle" occurred a nun saw a vision of the virgin Mary --there are medals that solely have Mary called "miracle medals" --the 1830 "dating" refers to this event -- now your medal is commonly called a 4 way "cross" medal -- Mary at the bottom -- St Joseph at the left --Jesus at top --and St Christopher on the right --on the front

--the please call a priest on the rear --is for last rites in case of death / dying ..the hearts are the "scared heart" 0f Jesus ---meaning that its from the Jesuit order /sect of the catholic faith..

while crosses of this type are commonly made still --yours looks to be of a bit older styling --and sterling silver is always nice to find --I guess its about say about 1940's vintage or so ...

and the call a priest * is not a phone call but rather --to "obtain one" * --and was used on older medals --pre telephone days ..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread