RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, there is this place that my mom and I used to watch and dog-sit at when the owners (my moms friends from work) were away, and we did this there for about 4 year until they moved. This was before I started metal detecting. Now that I am a detectorist, I have been trying to get my mom to ask if Bob and I could hunt the yard. I first asked the August before last, but my mom finally brought it up, and they said yes. (Earlier, I said they moved, but they still own the house, so the permission is legit)

I told Bob about it a couple days ago, and today was the perfect opportunity to go. He was very excited, as I was, since we had been waiting to get on this site for so long. I had slept over the night before after 14 hours or so of Bigfoot hunting, so after he got back from church, we got ready, packed up, and headed out.

What we were planning to do when we got there was to knock on the door to tell the renters who we were, why we were there, and that we had permission from the owners. But, they were not home, so we did not have to worry about that. We started in the back yard/field, but we soon found out that the field was covered with fill dirt (although Bob managed to get two buttons, and a partial toy gun, while I got a dime and a Capri Sun pouch.) Not getting much, Bob wanted to leave, but I wanted to go to the front yard. He was hesitant because no one was home, but I had a good feeling.

Things started out slow, but we eventually started hitting stuff. Bob found an 1889-S Seated dime, and I had a cap of some sort. He then went off to the other side, and I stuck close to the tree belt. I finally got a good signal, but I was having trouble getting through the roots with my digger, so I called Bob over to help me dig. It was hard to locate, but then suddenly this old copper bracelet popped out of the ground. I was surprised, and was instantly reminded of the trade bracelet that made the banner on here. Found by Breezie, if memory serves me right. Although there are differences, I can still be hopeful ^_^(any information would be much appreciated). We continued hunting, and I got another signal, and found the brooch, and put it my pouch. I started heading towards a different part of the yard, and I found the lid to a 3 Merry Widows tin. If you don't know what this is, you're probably too young :P.

I caught up with Bob, and he asked about leaving. I said just 10 more minutes and we could leave. I had a feeling that there was one last good thing to be found. After about 10 minutes, I get a solid reading, as Bob is heading back to the truck. He asks me if I am ready to go, and I say after I dig this last signal. Unfortunately, this specific spot was roots upon roots. I was able to break through most of them, but I needed Bob's shovel to get through the rest. So I called him over to help me one last time, and he is able to open up the hole a bit more. So he goes to put his gear in the truck, and I remove some more dirt. I put my pinpointer in the hole, and I finally reached it. I reach in and I see what looks like something large, so I grab it and try to take it out with all my strength, and it popped right out. Next thing I know, I have a complete colonial show buckle in my hand. I sit there shocked for a moment, and then I went to show Bob. He was as surprised as I was, and he labeled it the "find of the day". I have never dug such a buckle before, and I was finally able to cross it off of my list. After we left there, we stopped to get a drink, then we headed to another spot closer to home, where I found a shoe buckle fragment and a piece of lead, and Bob found ANOTHER seated dime(1854)! A couple of months ago, Bob was complaining to his friend that he had never found a seated dime before in 20 years of detecting. Now he has three. But I can't complain, because I found my seated half a couple of months ago.

Overall, this day was a success, and I was happy with the results:D

Thanks for reading and happy hunting!

-Anthony

(PS sorry for the poor quality pics I had to take them with my iPod. If TreasureNet hadn't just come out with their app, I wouldn't be able to post any pictures! So yay!)

(PSS the last picture is an aerial shot of the property [the one with in the middle with the pool])

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds. keep digging that spot

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buckle :thumbsup:

DownEastDetectorist

Aug 31, 2011
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't mean to be a spoil sport but the owner of a rental property doesn't have the legal right to authorize people to metal detect the property without the permission of the renters. If you rent a house you retain control of the property defined in the lease with exception for repairs and maintenance and the occasional inspection. Just something to think about. Nice finds though :) HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread