Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to Charleston to visit my sister this weekend as a late Christmas. Carolina Tom(also known as Coin Kicker) called and said him and Todd Lipe both of the Charlotte Silver Mafia were going down also. Tom asked if I could find us a place to all hunt together on Sunday. I found a place and was there at sunrise on Sunday morning. They wouldn't be at site for a couple hours so I started hunting. 30 minutes later I pulled this Tag out. I called CT/CK and sent him a picture. Come to find out they were an hour away and stopped for gas and hunting an old school. Well I think they made it to the site in record time. I stopped hunting after calling Tom hoping they would find something good. We all drove up to site about the sametime.I finally got to meet Todd. And he is a super guy to hunt with too. I dug a Large Cent and some clad. Tom got a signal and kicked it with his foot but didn't dig it. About 15 minutes later I walked by his kick mark.and got a signal. Up.pops another Large Cent. I tried to explain to Tom unlike up in Charlotte you can't kick the coins out of the ground. We didn't find much else except for a cannonball fragment.But it wasn't from lack of effort. The first pic is like it came out of ground and I'm slowly trying to clean it.

IMG_20160112_161032.jpg IMG_20160112_162818.jpg IMG_20160112_062618.jpg IMG_20160112_163011.jpg

As a side note this piece of history would be lost by the end of summer as construction on some buildings are starting soon

Last edited:
Upvote 101
OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck TBD. Wish I could make it tomorrow. Thanks again for the invite... I hope you dig another tag, a Fist-full of LC's, or that elusive C.S.A buckle.

Last edited:

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible piece of history!

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, That is one of those things I have almost no hope to find up here ,but I consider it one of the holy grails of metal detecting. Absolutely beautiful condition and full of compelling history. Superb. :notworthy:

kurtstuben

Apr 19, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tyler, I've been hearing about this for over a week from Carolina Tom and finally made it a point to come see...congratulations, what an interesting find!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the stuff that keeps me going wow again!!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one awesome piece of history! Congrats on finding it and making Banner! Well deserved!
Tom is happy for Ya! The world is good!

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tyler, I've been hearing about this for over a week from Carolina Tom and finally made it a point to come see...congratulations, what an interesting find!

Thanks Kurt. You should have been with me and Todd Lipe this weekend. He killed it with his finds

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one awesome piece of history! Congrats on finding it and making Banner! Well deserved!
Tom is happy for Ya! The world is good!

Thanks MBB. I think the world of CT but love to bust his chops

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wooooowww, just beautifull pieces of history, unfortunately our US Government prefer those pieces of history lay under a new building for ever, that seem a civilian destroying the american History, at least that's what they said, there is some very old home close to my grand kid's school, and the are cleaning any old houses meaning dumping it, leaving just empty yards to come on with new buildings, and i keep my garrett ace/250 in my truck most of the time, so, one day i saw the fence open, and desired to walk in to the empty corner yard, i walked out of my truck, let my garrett rest on the side of my truck, and without knowing my wife was so scared haha, withing 2 minutes we had an undercover unit with 2 under cover officers asking me to leave, didn;t even had time to grab my plastic scoophaha, i know most of you might say i should ask for permission before trying to walk to that open fence empty yard, but i do ask for permission some were else before, and don't even get an answer, well you know the end of the history, i had to leave, this make me remind that one of the very firts american coins called disme instead of Dime, not dime but disme or dizme, was found by accident on a old building from the 17th hnds if i'm not wrong, lucky some one found it before these buildings were destroyed, but is is very sad tha our government prefer to build building on top of the american history, that letting some one find it and make possible for american's to see it, and retrieve from the soil. were it might be lost forever. some of you might disagree with my thoughts but that's the reality. at least is what i think.

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning find! Congratulations! I would double over if I found that beauty. Such an interesting, tangible connection to our storied past. Wow...

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning find! Congratulations! I would double over if I found that beauty. Such an interesting, tangible connection to our storied past. Wow...

Thanks Fugio I can't double over and Shake at the sametime. Hope you got a look at VMIairpwr07 Slave Tag. Beautiful piece too. Take time to look if you haven't seen it already.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly believe that more of these do not show up on hunts is because they were highly guarded and protected by the person wearing it.
As a slave losing your tag could be devastating to your physical well being under most circumstances. Replacing the tag would cost their owner money and well… We watch history channel.

Could you imagine being a slave and having to go to your owner and tell him you lost his tax stamp? Not me brother. I am glad all of that is past history.
Very Very Cool find indeed!!

It looks much better on the IPad than my cheap phone lol. That is one piece of our history that ( like someone else said ) you'd think would show up more often on hunts. It looks copper? Or is it brass? Congrats on something Vino hasn't found yet lol.

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly believe that more of these do not show up on hunts is because they were highly guarded and protected by the person wearing it.
As a slave losing your tag could be devastating to your physical well being under most circumstances. Replacing the tag would cost their owner money and well… We watch history channel.

Could you imagine being a slave and having to go to your owner and tell him you lost his tax stamp? Not me brother. I am glad all of that is past history.
Very Very Cool find indeed!!

Yes there was a fine for losing and replacing Tags. Like things were not bad enough. History channel is good but hard to tell things in a hour or less. Nothing beats research and the real thing.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a killer find. I've dug a few old dog tags but never one for a human.
Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread