1837 dime types

ToyMan

Jul 25, 2005
I found these two dimes on Seminole War fort sites in Florida. I have hunted many fort sites in Florida and these are the only dimes I found. Pretty good shape after being in the ground for so long. The bust type was in a pasture (Ft. Walker near Gainesville) and was about 10" deep so the cattle urine did not affect it. The seated type was found in a pine tree stand (Ft. Fulton near St. Augustine) so the brown loomy sand did not affect it. I would say that both were dropped shortly after the soldiers received them as pay. Not knowing any better at the time, I cleaned with some baking soda and a soft brush. Hard to tell that they were cleaned after 25 years.

Attachments

• 1837 dimes obverse.jpg
    1837 dimes obverse.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 311
  • 1837 dimes reverse.jpg
    1837 dimes reverse.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 1837 dimes obverse.jpg
    1837 dimes obverse.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 308
  • 1837 dimes reverse.jpg
    1837 dimes reverse.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 314

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
You'd have to send them to ANACS for grading. They would give them a net grade after deducting for the cleaning. All the other grading services would send them back ungraded because they won't grade cleaned coins. And you would loose the money you paid for the service.

USCG ASM

Greenie
Oct 6, 2006
Its amazing how detailed the graders are, I found a 1910 barber half in an area that had a hotel and went out of business in 1910. (my best find)
With the exception of mud the barber was in excellent condition, but because I used a toothbrush and some warm water, It made swirl marks on the coin and was picked up by the grader. I've never been more disappointed.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The disclaimer: I'm sorry to take such a hard-nosed stance in responding to items in this column as well as the "cleaning and preservation" one. As a coin collector since I was a child, I have to say that cleaned coins like the ones above just break my heart.

So here's something I remember as a general rule when I recover silver coins: The higher grade the silver coin is

A. The more damage you'll do to its mirror-like surfaces by cleaning it, and

B. The more monetary value will be deducted from its price tag as a result.

I never "field clean" any of my silver coins. Ample time to do that at home. Always with hard running water and at most a light going-over very gently with a camel's hair (extremely soft) make-up brush to coax any remaining dirt off. Those beauties in the original post at the top were worth well over $1000 each before the cleaning. Hard to tell without examining them closely how much value was lost by the process. Just a word of caution for everyone. We are the saviors, caretakers, and in some cases sellers of the historical items we've recovered. We are responsible for their survival and preservation for future generations. I've seen way to many "field cleaned" silver coins here. Hopefully we'll get the word out to everyone not to take the risk. Charter members, I'd love to see treasurenet take an official stance against field cleaning silver coins. For a site with so many wonderful possibilities as far as education, I think it could only help the situation. At this point it is obvious that we as an online community are not educating as much as we could be.

-Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread