1837 Hard Times Token plus a badge - military?

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out to a few different sites with Hans R Dirty today and while the targets weren't jumping out at me I got a few goodies worth keeping. Also got my fair share of exercise!
1837 Hard Times Token, reads "I Follow in the steps of my illustrious predecessor" on one side and "Executive Experiment, 1837 Fiscal agent" on the other. Pretty neat find for me!
001.JPG
003.JPG
Also got this piece of badge that looks Victorian, and possibly military. There's a wreath and the letter K. Any ideas?
005.JPG
006.JPG
Also found a couple axe heads(the nice older one was broken) and other odds and ends. You can see some of the selection in Hans' post!
007.JPG

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that hard times token is cool. great find... congrats :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet token!!!! MR TUFF

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging from the eyelet on the back of it, I'd say it is a cloak fastener or closure device. You might want to turn your research in that direction.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleElf said:
Judging from the eyelet on the back of it, I'd say it is a cloak fastener or closure device. You might want to turn your research in that direction.

Best Wishes,

Buckles
The eyelet had one of the hooks attached, and given the design/length of the attachment hooks a fastener wouldn't really make sense, but always a possiblity since it is broken. The wreath around a central motif is a common pre WWI badge design, which is where that thinking comes from. Without the rest of it or a lucky bit of research I probably won't get an answer. Hopefully get back and find the other half at some point!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its part of a cap badge, probably British/Canadian. Found many similar, do a quick search for Military Cap Badges.

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Its part of a cap badge, probably British/Canadian. Found many similar, do a quick search for Military Cap Badges.
I've been trying, can't find anything that has that K in it however. Keep searching I guess! ;D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunthicks said:
CRUSADER said:
I've been trying, can't find anything that has that K in it however. Keep searching I guess! ;D

The wreath is one of the most common elements of a Cap Badge. Clearly you need a Regiment name ending in a 'K', but its not one I have in the collection & there are thousands of them. Good luck :icon_thumright:

dandan

Feb 24, 2006
I dug the same token here in NY and was told by the learned that it was an Andrew Jackson(?) presidential token representing the treasury on the turtles back the turtle beind the incumbent, and the donkey running being jackson. these are the only pics I could dig up right now.

Attachments

• DSCN1124.JPG
    DSCN1124.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,535
  • DSCN1124.JPG
    DSCN1124.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,541
  • DSCN1124.JPG
    DSCN1124.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,530

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I also dug the same Hard Times token last year on Long Island,the only one I've ever dug.

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
BuckleElf said:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

i agree it looks like a cloak clasp from the eyelette most of the cap badges over here were held on by wired hooks

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful Token. A hard times token is on my wish list for sure!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So who hasn't dug one of those! ;D

Attachments

• htt1.jpg
    htt1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,008
  • htt2.jpg
    htt2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,012

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leddel said:
BuckleElf said:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

i agree it looks like a cloak clasp from the eyelette most of the cap badges over here were held on by wired hooks
I could should you over 100 cap badges with this type of loop & some are Canadian. They had a matching loop at the other side & a split pin to hold them after the loops were pushed throw the holes in the beret.

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
CRUSADER said:
leddel said:
BuckleElf said:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

I could should you over 100 cap badges with this type of loop & some are Canadian.

that won't be necessary Crusader , just show the one in question is all :tongue3:

ossi

Nov 3, 2011
Pannonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO INTERNATIONAL (Nel hunter)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions