Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1840-1860 era Antique Photo Portrait- Restortation COMPLETE! - 6 March

Captn_SE said:
I always use non-iodized salt and lemon juice as the electrolyte for electrolysis of my silver. Have you found your 3-1 water/ammonia solution more effective or about the same?

Congrats again,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Dan

I wanted to try an match what the Conservators did to restore the Dag's on the Princeton University website and they did what they called "Electrocleaning" using Distilled Water and Ammonium Hydroxide. Of course they never gave the ratio amounts, so that was just a gamble on my part, educated gamble though, since the 3 to 1 was basically what I used on the soak to get rid of the copper corrosion.

As far as using what we consider the standard electrolyte for doing coins, iron, etc, well, I sure would not have even thought of it, especially since a large portion of what I had to restore was copper and the thin plating was the silver and some mercury.

I believe salt might have been a disaster, with the copper and silver both being on the same plate, but not sure, anyway, I just tried to do as the conservator did with the Princeton Dags...... :)

Don

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Re: 1840-1860 era Antique Photo Portrait- Restoration COMPLETE! - 6 March

This post deserves to be back up top! Keep the passion high, buddy bud budster! ;) :D

Kirk

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome job Don, very nice! HH, Mike

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

Nice work. That power supply is a bit scary. LOL
Normal method is a variable supply, and most likely pin point electrolysis.

Very useful experiment and information with great results.

titan

Jun 29, 2007
northwest tn.
Detector(s) used
MXT

this has been the most interesting post i have seen in awhile, i can't wait to check on the status of the next step as you go along!!Great job , please keep us informed as you go! BANNER FOR SURE ;D

logbuilder

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500

I'm also new to this site, and I must stand squarely in the same corner as Metalfinder.
I'm awaiting delivery on my first MD,next week.
Don, you are a true inspiration to someone just entering this field.
I commend you on a job well done. ;)

Mike.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am researching on this rainy day in South Jersey some possible surnames for the individual, using land record names that I have found. I am trying to determine an age so I can sort of line up possiblities based on when they were born, matching the age of the man in the photo.

Assuming the photo is from 1855-1860 range, I believe the individual should have been born in the late 1820's to no later than 1840, with early to mid 1830's being the prime target dates. My primary guess is that he is in his early 20's?

Any thoughts on this age estimate?

Don

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Life expetancy at that time was 38 - 40 years old.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Don, that's a great find and a great job restoring the photo yourself. I swore I replied to your post originally and went through over 150 replies to it to make sure, and I found I didn't put in my 2 cents worth..so here it is..this is, in my opinion, the most interesting post I've ever seen here on TNet since I've been a part of it. A wonderful find Don, and when you've enjoyed a post and learned something besides, that makes it all the more worthwhile to see.

Thanks for taking the time to educate all of us and share in your discovery.

Nat

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

That's pretty amazing but did you have to use a mercury dime? :o LOL.

I am just wondering now if there is any chance using a silver dime in that method could put a date back on a coin where the date was worn off. I seriously doubt it but wouldn't it be great. I bet there are a lot of dateless Type I Standing Liberty quarters this would be tried on.

HH

joe

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Umm great results there Don, you have taken chances and won.... that is what it is about.... I think that maybe I have found your man today?

bobing.gif

God bless
Peter

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

That's just - You did one incredible, fantastic job of restoration on that picture. It's just fabulous.

I'm so glad you shared the adventure with the rest of TNet! It was like seeing this fellow rise from the past and stand in front of us, clear eyed. Wow.

Thanks
Nan

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Don in SJ said:
I am researching on this rainy day in South Jersey some possible surnames for the individual, using land record names that I have found. I am trying to determine an age so I can sort of line up possiblities based on when they were born, matching the age of the man in the photo.

Assuming the photo is from 1855-1860 range, I believe the individual should have been born in the late 1820's to no later than 1840, with early to mid 1830's being the prime target dates. My primary guess is that he is in his early 20's?

Any thoughts on this age estimate?

Don

I'd probably say early to mid-20s, maybe.

Once you find names for the property, you could possibly check for marriages at that property (newspaper, census) as he's really dressed nicely. He's even got his starched collar on, and a black tie. Unless he only dressed up for the picture itself.

Best to you, if anybody can find out who, it's probably you!

Nan

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

You photo is really improving. Nice find.
Congratulations.

Ray S

Attachments

• Old photo 3a.JPG
    Old photo 3a.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 2,275

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

good luck on the search, your local historic society might have records of traveling photographers that came through the area. We have some old family photos from probably the 1870's-80's that were taken by one, and apparently he did quite a bit of work in the area. Of course it was in a rural area in the middle of Illinois, and his presence made the local paper back then. I think he charged something like 25 cents a photo? I can't remember right off.

It's strange to think of what a big deal it was then to have your picture taken, people would put on their sunday best, and hold a pose for quite a long time to get it done. I've seen the photographers stands that they used to keep peoples heads from moving and blurring the image, and it looks like an uncomfortable prospect to say the least. At any rate you have a very nice image of someone who probably spent all morning getting dressed up and who probably spent a good chunk of his wages to have it done. I hope you can put a name to him.

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Don ... congratulations on a unique find, a great restoration, and a well deserved spot on the banner ~ Jimmy

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250

:) :) :)CONGRATS ON MAKING THE BANNER!!!! :) :) :)

This post has grabbed my attention and I can't wait to see how it all ends.
Nice work so far. Your doing a great job. Keep it up

acedigger

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Is it my imagination or is there some writing or printing at about 8 o'clock?

HH

- joe

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I went back this morning to the area where I found the old photo and took a couple pictures of the site, I again checked very thoroughly and no other diggable readings, just like the previous trips. The only artifact to come from this area was the photo!. Lots of iron hits but nothing that could be dug. I proceeded on further down the road after taking these photos to a known homestead and got a couple of relics, which I will post later, I might need help in IDing both of them. Hint, one is a heart with and eagle with shield on it, but still researching before I post later. :)

Don

Attachments

• IMG_0018 (2).JPG
    IMG_0018 (2).JPG
    165 KB · Views: 2,206
  • IMG_0021 (2).JPG
    IMG_0021 (2).JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 2,194

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions: