1842 O Dime- Blazing Detail- Persitance Pays Off

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Took advantage of the gorgeous weather over the week end to do some digging on a site that has not given up many finds in the past but the quality of those finds certainly made up for the lack of quantity.
Met up with my fellow Canefield Bandit Buckleboy who always inspires me to get out and hunt..........even when I have a hang over from a previous nights shenanigans:tongue3:. We spent half the day doing row after cane field row with not much to show for it but a few musket balls, flat buttons and the occasional pottery shard that are all good signs of the possibility of greater finds.
By about 11 o'clock we lacked much to show for our efforts so we took a nice break for lunch for some good food and discussion about where to try our luck in the afternoon. We finally decided we would return to the place we had been all day, persevere! I walked down a row no longer than fifty or so yards, got a nice high signal and looked down to center my coil on that beep. I locked my eyes on what looked like half of a coin sticking out of the side of a row! Louisiana has recently had quite a bit of rain that obviously had washed the dirt away from about 2/3rds of the coin. I called BB over, he always provides the camera and we always share in the excitement of good finds. Upon taking pictures we immediately noticed the date on the dime, 1842! But did it have an O mint mark like most of the seated coins we dig here? You bet it did! After slowly removing it from it's long time tomb and going to the truck to rinse it with some water I discovered the pleasing O on the reverse.
I am amazed at the almost uncirculated detail of this dime! I cant help but think it was dropped the day it left the bank. It's even more amazing that it escaped any plow damage in it's 173 years in the ground.
Lesson learned- always stay positive and persistent even when the finds are thin. HH- Shanegalang- The Canefield Bandits

Attachments

• 1842O1.JPG
    1842O1.JPG
    950 KB · Views: 163
  • 1842O2.JPG
    1842O2.JPG
    860.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2187.JPG
    IMG_2187.JPG
    856.8 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_2188.JPG
    IMG_2188.JPG
    920 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2185.JPG
    IMG_2185.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Upvote 35

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Seated Lady. :thumbsup:. Shes a Beaut!
That pottery chard is pretty cool too.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible condition on that Seated dime! Just don't see them come up like that very often. Congrats Shane!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you got one of the best coins of the year there! I think I have only dug one dime, ever that was as close to uncirculated as that one. Wish they all came out looking that nice.

Lets go do it again this Friday! :headbang:

-Buck

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome coin and an awesome site, I have yet to find a site where there are any great finds just laying on the surface. A place like that is a time saving location, especially when digging plugs is optional. :thumbsup: Still looking for my 1st "O" mint mark.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
No bloody way!! That's incredible detail. Great find and yes, persistence pays!

Cheers

Steve

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the nicest silvers I've seen you guys pull from those cane fields.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice seated dime, congrats .

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin's a beaut! Congrats! Also, on the close up, I think the face on the pottery resembles George Washington. Had to throw that in!

Last edited:

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is an awesome find, congrats! I also really like the pottery piece with what appears to have Washington's face on it. I'd hole that to be worn as a necklace for sure!

Washington.jpg

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That is a great coin and an "O" mint to boot!

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome find, congrats! I also really like the pottery piece with what appears to have Washington's face on it. I'd hole that to be worn as a necklace for sure!

View attachment 1236930

I have seen ppl wrap them in silver like a coin bazzel for a necklaces, yes it dose look to be GW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread