1842 O Dime- Blazing Detail- Persitance Pays Off

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Took advantage of the gorgeous weather over the week end to do some digging on a site that has not given up many finds in the past but the quality of those finds certainly made up for the lack of quantity.
Met up with my fellow Canefield Bandit Buckleboy who always inspires me to get out and hunt..........even when I have a hang over from a previous nights shenanigans:tongue3:. We spent half the day doing row after cane field row with not much to show for it but a few musket balls, flat buttons and the occasional pottery shard that are all good signs of the possibility of greater finds.
By about 11 o'clock we lacked much to show for our efforts so we took a nice break for lunch for some good food and discussion about where to try our luck in the afternoon. We finally decided we would return to the place we had been all day, persevere! I walked down a row no longer than fifty or so yards, got a nice high signal and looked down to center my coil on that beep. I locked my eyes on what looked like half of a coin sticking out of the side of a row! Louisiana has recently had quite a bit of rain that obviously had washed the dirt away from about 2/3rds of the coin. I called BB over, he always provides the camera and we always share in the excitement of good finds. Upon taking pictures we immediately noticed the date on the dime, 1842! But did it have an O mint mark like most of the seated coins we dig here? You bet it did! After slowly removing it from it's long time tomb and going to the truck to rinse it with some water I discovered the pleasing O on the reverse.
I am amazed at the almost uncirculated detail of this dime! I cant help but think it was dropped the day it left the bank. It's even more amazing that it escaped any plow damage in it's 173 years in the ground.
Lesson learned- always stay positive and persistent even when the finds are thin. HH- Shanegalang- The Canefield Bandits

Attachments

• 1842O1.JPG
    1842O1.JPG
    950 KB · Views: 163
  • 1842O2.JPG
    1842O2.JPG
    860.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2187.JPG
    IMG_2187.JPG
    856.8 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_2188.JPG
    IMG_2188.JPG
    920 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2185.JPG
    IMG_2185.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Upvote 35
OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome coin and an awesome site, I have yet to find a site where there are any great finds just laying on the surface. A place like that is a time saving location, especially when digging plugs is optional. :thumbsup: Still looking for my 1st "O" mint mark.
Farm fields that are rowed up, after a good rain where there was a structure.

BavariaJeff

May 20, 2015
Seoul, Korea
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Seated dime. It looks like it was lost shortly after it was minted

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread