david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Followed a lead given to me by a hiker when I was at a old school site a few weeks ago about a cellar site farther back in the woods. Directions were skimpy and I was generally just wandering around looking. Ended up on what appeared to be a old wagon trail and eventually seen deer running out ahead of me. While not uncommon, old homesites in the woods around here seem to end up as preferred bedding areas for deer. Went a little farther and seen the daffodils. Fairly large cellar hole and a area of several acres that had been reverting to woods for quite some time. Setup and started hunting. Had only been hunting for about half a hour, when I got a great high tone at the base of a tree. Just a couple of inches down popped out this 1842 Seated Dime. Very worn and holed through the head, but its only my second Seated coin, and my first dime. Was back there for several more hours, but otherwise than a few common relics, I found nothing of value. Nothing of value metal detecting, that is. Went to dig one target and was looking at some grey morels. Ended up putting about 20 of them in my hoodie pouch.

Would probably have stayed longer, but wind was whipping and I heard limbs falling in the woods, so I left. Pretty sure I'll hit it again next winter.

2016_04030056.JPG 2016_04030057.JPG

Upvote 16

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great early seat!!!! The wind was DEF blowin fierce yesterday! Watch out for the widowmakers!!! Luv the Hoosier stuff... CONGRATZ...

OP
OP
D

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great early seat!!!! The wind was DEF blowin fierce yesterday! Watch out for the widowmakers!!! Luv the Hoosier stuff... CONGRATZ...

Ain't no doubt. Heard on the radio on my way back home that there were a few wind advisories for nearby counties. Not sure how mine didn't get one.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Seated Dime.
We have a wind advisory in effect today.
I guess I'll be looking UP, while swinging the coil, lol

frostdigger

Jan 1, 2013
Col. Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350, Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT gold, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the seated dime and a tasty snack.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I would be checking that place regularly for morels for the next few weeks! The seated was a nice find too!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, some would prefer the mushrooms to the silver. Nice one!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, congratulations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions