1843 LC, and one of the coolest flat buttons ive ever found!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so last week I hit my campground for the first time and pulled 19 wheats and a silver roosie in 2 hrs, I was chomping at the bit to get back up there since, and today was the day, got the family all loaded up into the vehicle and on our way we went, cooked on the grill, did a little fishing and then on to what I really wanted to do.....detect!, I pull the detector out of the truck and one of the 3 owners shows up and flat out DENIES me the right to detect the property that ive already gotten permission from 1 of the others, so no need to argue, i just put the detector back in the truck and sat and had a couple beers. as i sat there all mad, i thought what the heck, ill try the woods behind the campground, glad i did, i got a 1843 large cent in pretty decent shape, and a large flat button that has a bullet hole right through it, i thought, how cool is that, i cant say ive ever seen one like that before!!, plus 7 of the most unfortunate wheat cents i have ever dug. So even though i made some good finds, im more frustrated that a good spot was taken away from me just like that, man this is tough this year between no permissions and hard to get permissions, makes a guy wonder. Thanks for looking and hh!!!! 20150530_203406.jpg 20150530_203519.jpg 20150530_205534.jpg f2.jpg f.jpg

Upvote 13

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. Those wheat cents will clean up well in warm peroxide. Looks like the woods produced for you. Never seen a dandy button that was shot like that--looks like someone was playing "wild west." You might want to get back in touch with the guy that gave you permission.

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice, Sometimes you have to think outside the box. I've found coins out in the middle of nowhere.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool button for sure! What a story it could tell! Who knows, maybe you were meant to find that for a reason.
Nice alternate plan and nice save!

Too many bosses ruin the permission pie! Hope you get back on the property soon.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your permission, nice finds. Go get in the water, I have been telling you that for a year now, ha lol

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Those wheat cents will clean up well in warm peroxide. Looks like the woods produced for you. Never seen a dandy button that was shot like that--looks like someone was playing "wild west." You might want to get back in touch with the guy that gave you permission.
Thanks erik, I thought about contacting the person who said yes, but honestly its not worth the effort, besides I don't want to get my father in law in hot water with the new owners, no biggie I guess on to the next!

Nice, Sometimes you have to think outside the box. I've found coins out in the middle of nowhere.
thanks YG, its the 2nd time Ive found a LC in the woods, very neat!
Cool button for sure! What a story it could tell! Who knows, maybe you were meant to find that for a reason.
Nice alternate plan and nice save!

Too many bosses ruin the permission pie! Hope you get back on the property soon.
thanks MS!, too many chiefs and not enough Indians ruin a good spot, oh well, I guess it was too good to be true
Good luck with your permission, nice finds. Go get in the water, I have been telling you that for a year now, ha lol
Oh you bet I will brad, just waiting to warm up a bit, waters still a little chilly

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Chris.
Glad to see you brake ur LC dro

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, love the large cent. Too bad about the permission...some people just like to be difficult.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, love the large cent. Too bad about the permission...some people just like to be difficult.

Thanks JC, my thought is the heck with em, I'll just find another site

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice saves!!

Gotta wonder how that bullet hole got in that button? And that LC, even I can see the detail on that one.
Hope you get that permission granted back. It's a shame when someone shows up with authority and for what ever reason says no. The guy probably has no intentions at all to detect but, just can't see someone else getting what he'll never get?

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that button may have taken a direct hit from a musket ball. A relic of target practice, war, or murder? The mystery is fascinating. If you can measure the hole you can figure the caliber of the bullet, this may help you pinpoint the gun used and the time period. Brown Bess was .75 caliber and would have been a popular gun from 1720-1840. Judging from the smooth curl of the metal at the exist point it's easy to tell that was the result of a relatively slow moving bullet which is consistent with a musket ball. Really like this post, this is a very rare find. In fact, this is the first bullet-holed flat button I believe I've ever seen here.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
1843.Very nice, like that bullet whole button Also!!

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible that your long handled shovels can throw a person off. Might make them think it's a bigger shovel and your digging the crap out of their property from a distance. By time they get to you. They already made their mind up. Maybe starting with more subtle tools in a site like that will make them more comfortable with what your doing. Just a thought. Glad to see you didn't give up and searched the woods. I have been searching for both the large cent and flat button for four seasons now. So I would say you still came out of it on the plus side, and you still have the woods. Great Finds!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry about the permission. I know how excited you were about that one. The button is pretty cool. Lots to ponder there.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Button as a target, or human as the target, sure gets a guy wondering....... Interesting finds and bummer on the permissions. I have a spot that I call Cat Sh.. Mountain. This farmer has a field were I have pulled some nice old coins out. He is also an eccentric loner with about 30 cats. He dumps the litter into a HUGE mound of reeking urine soaked gag reflex inducement. I learned to stay upwind after a rain. I haven't touched that field much because of his crop rotation. But the last couple of times I drove by he eyeballed me. So I am wondering if his permission was short term or what, but I don't want to walk up to his door and find out. My car is always parked visibly, so if he decides to end it, he can easily find me. The field is getting tougher to cough up now anyway. He gave permission and he has my phone number. So I figure that I'm good until he says something.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice saves!!

Gotta wonder how that bullet hole got in that button? And that LC, even I can see the detail on that one.
Hope you get that permission granted back. It's a shame when someone shows up with authority and for what ever reason says no. The guy probably has no intentions at all to detect but, just can't see someone else getting what he'll never get?
Thanks!, that button is a mystery for sure and about the permission, the guy said he has water lines and electrical lines buried everywhere and when I explained that I only go down like 4-5 inches he still wasn't buying it, its not a big deal but this place would've easily padded my silver count for the year

Wow, that button may have taken a direct hit from a musket ball. A relic of target practice, war, or murder? The mystery is fascinating. If you can measure the hole you can figure the caliber of the bullet, this may help you pinpoint the gun used and the time period. Brown Bess was .75 caliber and would have been a popular gun from 1720-1840. Judging from the smooth curl of the metal at the exist point it's easy to tell that was the result of a relatively slow moving bullet which is consistent with a musket ball. Really like this post, this is a very rare find. In fact, this is the first bullet-holed flat button I believe I've ever seen here.
Thanks a lot!, I thought it was pretty darn interesting myself. my mind was doing 360s imagining how that happened. Ill have to measure the hole later and maybe we can pinpoint what type of gun did it

thanks!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible that your long handled shovels can throw a person off. Might make them think it's a bigger shovel and your digging the crap out of their property from a distance. By time they get to you. They already made their mind up. Maybe starting with more subtle tools in a site like that will make them more comfortable with what your doing. Just a thought. Glad to see you didn't give up and searched the woods. I have been searching for both the large cent and flat button for four seasons now. So I would say you still came out of it on the plus side, and you still have the woods. Great Finds!

Oh I never use my t handle at a permission, always the hand digger, I know what youre saying, people would think im searching for Hoffa if they seen the big shovel come out
im done getting all mad about the loss of this permission. On to the next, and you know we are gonna land on a killer site this fall after the harvest, cant wait!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd take the button over a worn LC or a common silver any day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread