1847 site

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one ever proved there were any Maps made by Travis, Paper, Stone or Slides, All I ever seen or heard was hearsay on the subject.

Babymick1

I didn't say Travis MADE the map in question, Mick.......or that Travis had or made slides. Travis had maps that were handed down from his grandfather "Pegleg". He also, along with his uncle Robert, consulted or partnered with other LDM searchers....including Garman.
Garman took photos, some of which were processed as slides. He included some of what he had photographed in his books, along with his analysis of what those maps represented. So my query is......was Garman able to get a photo of one or more of the "Pegleg" maps used by Travis, Robert and Phil Leasman ?
If so, could this particular Garman map actually be a copy of, or based on a photo of either the "ground" map or the "barn" map ?

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Copied from a photo (slide) of one of Travis Tumlinson's maps ?
Just a guess.......

Let's see Wayne. You have a map but don't know the area. Garman knew the area but did not have the map. He teams up with the men with the map and off they go. Some things are not for public consumption. We don't want to tilt our stoners do we Wayne. Sometimes things stare you in the face but you have blinders on and just can't see the light.
As always Wayne nothing gets past you. Does it.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill , this map is reproduction of Garmin search area and what he believed was right in his own theory .

In this map we can see Garmin had used four symbols from the stone Trail map and one from the Horse stone map .
The symbol " 3 " from the Horse and Trail maps , is for " two buttes " or " two boulders " .
The dagger is to indicate a direction ( and nothing else ) in the map . In the stone Trail map shows how the Trail goes from the bottom to the top . If the dagger would pointed down , then the Trail would goes from the top to the bottom .

Now what is wrong interpreted in this map :
- The trail has a different shape/route . The real trail has the shape which is depicted in the stone trail map , and anything else is out of the map's concept .
- The heart points to the east . Because in the stone Trail map the heart points to the right , that don't means there is the east . Is wrong to take as north the upper side of a map if there is not a sign/arrow that shows that .

I believe it shows the "1847" site I posted earlier. It was chiseled into the rock with a knife? Get it? The Heart means ORO so you have the heart, knife and 1847 Petroglyph! If so the map is a "Mirror Image" and north is south and south is north and so on. Many early Dutchman Hunters knew of this Glyph and knew of the meaning of "1847" and of course ORO. The trail in reverse lays out right from the glyph and, Guess what?

It ends at the Massacre Grounds!

Travis inspired Fake Rock Glyph News?

I think it could be a 1847 stone glyph map pretending to be a movie?

Next show at 10.

Last edited:

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe it shows the "1847" site I posted earlier. It was chiseled into the rock with a knife? Get it? The Heart means ORO so you have the heart, knife and 1847 Petroglyph! If so the map is a "Mirror Image" and north is south and south is north and so on. Many early Dutchman Hunters knew of this Glyph and knew of the meaning of "1847" and of course ORO. The trail in reverse lays out right from the glyph and, Guess what?

Next show at 10.

The knife is Battleship Mountain..

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Let's see Wayne. You have a map but don't know the area. Garman knew the area but did not have the map. He teams up with the men with the map and off they go. Some things are not for public consumption. We don't want to tilt our stoners do we Wayne. Sometimes things stare you in the face but you have blinders on and just can't see the light.
As always Wayne nothing gets past you. Does it.

But I do know the area, Garman did not know the area, A slight miscalculation on his part. But I don't think so, Just a smoke screen aleast till you bought in to it. Nevertheless good luck

babymick1

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Next show at 10.

Bill , IMO the ORO is just ORO and the heart is something else .

The heart means love and hate . Is the place where the bad and the good join . A symbol of where two different powers join : the good which is a spiral that its route emits , and the bad which its spiral that its route absorbe . Is a symbol of the two snakes which face each other to keep the balance between bad and good .
The heart means feelings which can make you happy or can hurt you . Is the energy which give life to everything on this planet .

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinons only,not any proven fact, the heart represents the Heart of Jeasus, also the Mayens and Aztecs revered the heart as part of their culture. The good would be a treasure,the bad a death trap. If true the heart weighed in the area of 50lbs, that means to me,the Heart,may have a latch or ketch that opens it up like a chinese box,and the heart stone then slides open to reveal other clues that helps decode its true meaning. Just from some of the photos I have seen of the heart,some of the smaller numbers to me like in the loop of the #8 would be akin to way-points. Its possible their is a niche someware that the heart fits into and unlocks another key. I don"t believe the original heart was destroyed,just re-buried./No proof on my part,just my own thoughts.

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
At the risk of being cryptic 1847 is also an elevation difference. :icon_pirat:

I am pretty sure it's a Jesuit elevation map not a treasure. :tongue3:

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I know where we are headed in a few weeks. If there is nothing there I will post it. If there is something there... I'll post that too. 1847 does work out as an elevation change in Vara from the site I am interested in to the bottom. Of course I am not sure there were accurate altimeters at the time or even barometric measurements... But it is interesting that it works out to roughly 1847 Vara....

Lucky Baldwin

Nov 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where we are headed in a few weeks. If there is nothing there I will post it. If there is something there... I'll post that too. 1847 does work out as an elevation change in Vara from the site I am interested in to the bottom. Of course I am not sure there were accurate altimeters at the time or even barometric measurements... But it is interesting that it works out to roughly 1847 Vara....

A guy named 'Torricelli' invented the barometer in 1643. I know Whitney started surveying the Sierras in 1860 and made some pretty accurate elevation measurements.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

River, Which "Vara" would that be? There are many versions of the vara. How many feet and inches in todays measure system are you using? Just curious as I've used many and they don't seem to work very well!

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
River, Which "Vara" would that be? There are many versions of the vara. How many feet and inches in todays measure system are you using? Just curious as I've used many and they don't seem to work very well!

I was using 33 on whim or just a commonly used idea. It fit. Of course everything fits out there if ya want it to.

*edited*: 33 inches to the unit of measure.

Last edited:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using 33 on whim or just a commonly used idea. It fit. Of course everything fits out there if ya want it to.

*edited*: 33 inches to the unit of measure.

Try 32.9 inches. I know it's only about a quarter inch less than 33". Over the course of vara times three or four, which was common for triangulation directional location, it can make a big difference. That's the Castilian "Vara".

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try 32.9 inches. I know it's only about a quarter inch less than 33". Over the course of vara times three or four, which was common for triangulation directional location, it can make a big difference. That's the Castilian "Vara".

I believe that the vara they used back in the 18th century , has nothing to do with the today standard unit . From my research in the field , decoding distances in varas , i came to the result how they had used as vara a long pace/step .
In a case where there were two different sections on a map meassured in varas , in the first section which was the longest , the vara was about 28'' , and in the second the vara was about 35" . So , maybe the second measurement was done by a taller guy .

Last edited:

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that the vara they used back in the 18th century , has nothing to do with the today standard unit . From my research in the field , decoding distances in varas , i came to the result how they had used as vara a long pace/step .
In a case where there were two different sections on a map meassured in varas , in the first section which was the longest , the vara was about 28'' , and in the second the vara was about 35" . So , maybe the second measurement was done by a taller guy .

That's what I think too. Basically the same as a stepped off yard. Quick and dirty measurement.

Lucky Baldwin

Nov 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A long pace/step makes sense. That way of measuring distance has been used forever. Maybe the standard vera was developed to settle land disputes. Either that or the king started hiring tax collectors that were all the same height.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread