Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you find it encased in a plastic slab, lol? That LC is as perfect as you could want! Great old copper find!

OP
OP
W

Wardster

Dec 21, 2006
Kingston, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I was suprised by how good a shape it was in myself. My father in law was with me when I found it (he's a member of the historical society) and we couldn't believe how good it looked after running it under water before we left. it looks like it was dropped in the 1850's based on how good it looks, but who knows. What's funny is that I found a small coin spill of wheat pennies from the early 1900's less than twenty feet from where I found this large cent and they are in much worse shape.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably the nicest LC I've ever seen. Congratulations.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably the nicest LC I've ever seen. Congratulations.

Definitely the nicest I've ever seen that was pulled from the ground. Well done, Wardster. :icon_thumright:

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!! I tried contacting my local historical society and offered to do some detecting for them, but they weren't interested. Be sure to share some picture of your display once you get it!!

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice coin, must be sandy soil.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm gealous.

Don't know why but large cents are favorites of mine and I have yet to find one. Found what I thought was one and was greatly disappointed when it turned out to just be a discolored 50¢ piece (silver Kennedy). I'm just not right I suppose.

Nov 19, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wardster, how did you clean that? I found a 1847 that I believe will be in almost as great of shape as yours if I get more of the dirt off. I am just afraid to do it. I am worried that the detail will be gone.

LC Resized.png

20141102_163057.jpg

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has the nicest detail I've seen for a dug largecent in long time, she's a looker!!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was suprised by how good a shape it was in myself. My father in law was with me when I found it (he's a member of the historical society) and we couldn't believe how good it looked after running it under water before we left. it looks like it was dropped in the 1850's based on how good it looks, but who knows. What's funny is that I found a small coin spill of wheat pennies from the early 1900's less than twenty feet from where I found this large cent and they are in much worse shape.

I have noticed from my finds, sometimes I don't think it always the soil. Certain dates on coins hold up better than others. I believe the metal might of been a little bit better than other dates. Two things with the nearby Wheats, the soil could be different just a few feet away and maybe the mix for bronze is a little different?
Great save, great strike, early on that one. Great find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions