1850 House on 2 acres in NC.........Anyone up for a hunt?

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy,

Today I got permission from the owner to detect on his property. It is 2 acres, mostly wooded, with a house at the front of the property. I checked the tax records and the house was built in 1850. He just bought the property a couple months ago and said it was overgrown around the house but he had someone "knock it down" for him. I stopped by today to glance at the property. The house is quite run down and definitely old. I can take 2-3 people with me at one time. The location is where the NE tip of Lincoln county meets Catawba county.

I am BRAND NEW to metal detecting. I have a machine that I do not really know how to work. So some pointers would be greatly appreciated on site.

If interested let me know.

Jay

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Jay,
What a great find and offer as well. Anyone close will jump on this opportunity. I would make it clear to other hunters that this site is off limits to them unless your there and to keep it secret. I would take a string trimmer ( weed eater) and/or brush cutter. Spend some time clearing out some spots and raking it clean if possible? Also around old farm houses there will be a ton of iron from repairs on the house to trash. Buy a wide magnet used to clean up construction sites and garage floors and drag it around to clean up as much iron as you can before using your detector. Post back your treasures!

beth71070

Nov 3, 2013
Stokesdale NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70 and Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am checking the distance from our house to Newton (We live in Stokesdale) if its not to far then hubby ( Shen13 ) and I would LOVE to take advantage of your generous offer!!! THANK YOU! And in the event we cant then I wish you the best with your hunt and PLEASE post pics of your finds and tell us all about it!!!:happy2:

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sad to say the 1850 house is a bust. I visited it once by myself and once with an experienced hunter. Found nothing but trash both times. Never found a coin new or old. He said because it is on a busier street lot of MDers ride by and see it and sneak in to hunt it. Oh well, you never know till you try.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Don't give up yet. Hunt all the places that don't look good to hunt. Forget about that old sidewalk. Forget about that big Oak tree. Hunt next to the old Rose bush or next to that old fence. How about that open area? That could be where they played ball? I know I haven't seen it but you get the drift....

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sad to say the 1850 house is a bust. I visited it once by myself and once with an experienced hunter. Found nothing but trash both times. Never found a coin new or old. He said because it is on a busier street lot of MDers ride by and see it and sneak in to hunt it. Oh well, you never know till you try.

GET BACK OUT THERE!!!! It isn't a sure thing, but you never know. Go back and image how you'd live back then. Walk the site and imagine where the clothes line would be, where the outhouse would be. There may be a few coins somewhere around there. You also have to remember that NC was a poor agricultural area and a lot of bartering was also done. Don't expect to find silver dollars, but Indian heads, nickels and silver dimes may pop up.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Dwight S and khouse. If at all possible hit the place some more. I'm kinda new to this... I found my first two silver dimes last weekend. We had hit this spot for about 8 hours before we found silver (it is an old house and surrounding yard). We found clad and wheaties, but no silver. Certainly you ought to be able to find a wheatie or an indian. If you see a bunch of holes, where others have been digging, then the place might have been picked over... but surely you can find a treasure or two left. Good luck!

GranvilleATPro

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 acres is a lot to cover in two outings to come conclusion there is nothing. A house that old should produce something worth walking away from. Places like that make me more determined to find something. I wouldn't give up on it by a long shot.

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll try to describe this place a little. The property is perhaps 80 feet wide x however deep to make up the 2 acres. The front of the house sits at most 30 feet from the street so very close. Shortly before we hunted the property it was completely enclosed in small (1" to 2") tree saplings. The owner paid a guy to bush hog around the house but it appears he used a chain saw. So the "cleared" yard area around the house has small cut off trees sticking up out of the ground and are about 3"-4" tall. So right there you lose 3-4" of detecting depth as you're not swinging at ground level. The house has a very small back yard. Behind that is all woods. I am thinking with some looking I could find some dump sites and do some digging. But both Smittyman and I feel the property was originally much wider who knows they may have been located on adjacent lots now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread