Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Coiltech 15", Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0988.JPG IMG_0997.JPG IMG_0998.JPG

Today I found my 40th silver coin for the year, which is all time because this is my first year detecting. This past week has been pretty good to me. Today my friend and I checked out an old school that has been hunted a lot over the years. Neither of us can believe it, because he found 3 silver dimes while I found 2 silver dimes and an 1851 large cent. Earlier this week we were at that same school and each of us found a silver half. His was a 1941s Walking Liberty and mine a 1962 Franklin. I have also been hitting this old park that I have been all summer and still get silver out of it. This past week I have 4 silver dimes from it. The large cent is actually my 6th American this year. I have two Draped Busts (one might be an 1806, can't tell the other), 1 1813 Classic Head (pictured below), 1 Coronet (can't tell the date yet), 1 1851 Braided Hair, and the other I don't think anyone can tell what it is. The 1851 needs soaked in something to clean it up some. I'll figure it out later. The 1813 is in pretty rough shape.

IMG_0982.JPG
I got this this spring and didn't know it was a large cent until later. I was just learning how to dig holes and gouged the front.

Everything found with my E-Trac! Except for my friends finds, a CTX-3030. Minelab!

Upvote 7

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well. your screen name says it all, a great haul on a great day.

Last edited:

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow does your Etrac just suck the good coins out of the ground lol? Sweet finds!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very good finds, actually freakin fantastic finds! congrats!!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, really nice!

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't worry about the corrosion on the LC. Many of them just come out that way...hard to survive 150+ yrs in the dirt. A large copper is a large copper! Great set of finds!

John

OP
OP
G

Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about the corrosion on the LC. Many of them just come out that way...hard to survive 150+ yrs in the dirt. A large copper is a large copper! Great set of finds!

John

It is tough to survive 150 years in the ground for copper. The 1851 is the best of the LC's I have so far. Even wheat pennies get beat up bad in the ground. It's like the LC's having so much copper in them allows them to survive. I'm still waiting to find the really old silver coins in the ground. Someday...

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a lots of silver !!! The Larges are always a fun find no matter the condition for me, were you using the E-Trac?

NorthShoreRich

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2014
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum [courtesy of a friend] on loan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great finds! A large cent is on my bucket list but like you I'm just getting started.

Keep that luck rolling!

OP
OP
G

Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a lots of silver !!! The Larges are always a fun find no matter the condition for me, were you using the E-Trac?

I was using my E-Trac. My friend was using a CTX-3030. We have compared both detectors for signals on deep and iffy targets, and they are both about equal in my opinion. The CTX has a lot more whistles and bells that make it a nice detector. As far as my E-Trac, it picks up targets in trashy areas and also deep targets great. The deepest Large Cent I found was between 11 and 12 inches deep. It was a solid steady signal that I kept rechecking because after 9 inches into the hole the pin pointer wasn't picking up the target. The 1851 wasn't too deep, maybe 7 inches. It was screaming at me. I can not believe no one hadn't picked it yet.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was using my E-Trac. My friend was using a CTX-3030. We have compared both detectors for signals on deep and iffy targets, and they are both about equal in my opinion. The CTX has a lot more whistles and bells that make it a nice detector. As far as my E-Trac, it picks up targets in trashy areas and also deep targets great. The deepest Large Cent I found was between 11 and 12 inches deep. It was a solid steady signal that I kept rechecking because after 9 inches into the hole the pin pointer wasn't picking up the target. The 1851 wasn't too deep, maybe 7 inches. It was screaming at me. I can not believe no one hadn't picked it yet.

Cool on the E-Trac getting the goodies =) On the half-dollars what are they reading for you out in the wilds? Do they sound off good or do they sound iffy? I don't believe that my E-Trac has found any halves yet, I think it is possible to discriminate them out maybe, with wrong settings.

OP
OP
G

Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool on the E-Trac getting the goodies =) On the half-dollars what are they reading for you out in the wilds? Do they sound off good or do they sound iffy? I don't believe that my E-Trac has found any halves yet, I think it is possible to discriminate them out maybe, with wrong settings.

I use two tone ferrous (TTF) on my E-Trac with a wide open screen, no discrimination. In other words, high and low tones, high for 18 and above on the ferrous side and low for 19 and below. When I hear and high tone, even a chirp in the middle of low tones, I go over the target slowly to see what numbers come up and how strong the sound is. The silver half came across like a pop can does. I was getting numbers on the ferrous side from 3 to 11, with the conductivity numbers anywhere from 45 to 49. When I'm on a pop can, if I pull my detector away I'll still get the readings a foot above the ground. Whenever I am on silver, the readings seem to be all over the place in a good way. I also use recovery quick and recovery deep. Clad halves come up come about 12-47. I had a mercury dime read 17-45 very scratchy and would only read in one direction. There weren't any other targets anywhere close to it.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Really nice finds. Congrats!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you are certainly having a great first year of detecting! Nice finds so far. Needless to say you have the bug!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread