Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2008
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Miinelab CTX-3030, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Explorer II, Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a place near Baton Rouge this weekend looking for some civil war stuff and had a great time. Its taken over 4 years to get permission to hunt the land. And they have LOTS of land. We arrived and had checked out maps of the area and where several thousand northern and southern troops had camped and crossed their land. I had visions of stuff everywhere but that will take some time to find all the right places. We started and quickly hit several places trying to find something that would give us a clue. The first day nothing too much was found. The second day the landowner told me there had been a railroad just across the road from their house a zillion years ago and I ought to check that out. So with the day topping out at 95 degrees and the humidity the same, I started down the edge of the field. Not much was showing up, some iron stuff that I couldn't identify so I kept it up. I started to notice some handhand bricks scattered about near two huge old trees and I thought there may be something around here afterall. I got straight across from the house and had a signal that showed iron but it had something else in there with it. I dug my hole and ran my Uniprobe in the dirt, got a signal and pulled out a small piece of iron. I ran it back in the hole again and sure enough another signal rang out. I pulled what I found out of the dirt and it was coin size. Coins were the fartherest thing I thought I would find but cleaning off a little dirt I saw the date 1852 and my wife could have heard my holler 250 miles away. I was floored! I spent 8 hard hot hours that day until I couldn't dig any more. I'm sure everyone knows how that feels when its blistering hot and you've sweated out your body weight twice in one day. I finished the day out with a couple of interesting things but nothing like I had hoped to. Nevertheless, that one coin made the trip worth while!!

The good thing about the trip is we have permission to return. They were great people and they haven't given permission to anyone before to hunt so we were the first. This area will produce so many great finds once we narrow down all the places, I can't wait to go back again. Life is good !!!

Thanks for looking!
Steve

Attachments

• DSC02974_edited-1.JPG
    DSC02974_edited-1.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 773
  • DSC02987.JPG
    DSC02987.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 779
  • DSC02982.JPG
    DSC02982.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 778
  • DSC02983.JPG
    DSC02983.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 760
Upvote 0

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I could just picture your face when you saw the 1852 on the large cent. Man i bet you were shocked! Very nice job! :)

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Anyday you find a LC is a great day!!!
Congrats on your first..........and there will be many more!!

Dale

OP
OP
Juanmoretime

Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2008
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments and thank you RickyP....its been along time coming brother!!!

Steve ;D :thumbsup:

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Persistance really paid off,Steve.That's a great coin! I hope you can get back there.I think a 2002 coin is the oldest I've ever found in the last 30yrs.Yep,I was finding them then too.All kidding aside,you made a great recovery!Hope you make the CTH,and bring the coin with you.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

I love those old coppers. I bet you'll strike more there in the future.

HH Jer

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peroxide that puppy, it should come out looking real nice. Way to go!
CurbdiggerCarl

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now my question to you is why you didn't stop and get me????? I live 1 and a half hours away from Baton Rouge, la... If you need another Mding buddy look me up. Nice finds.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know what it is about a LC....Every body want's to find one and when you do,the feeling is awesome....First LC!!!! I'm still looking for one with a Date on it :-\ Great Job and Congrat's :thumbsup:

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:crybaby2: :crybaby2: :BangHead: I wanna find a LC!!!!! :( :( Bring it up to the Hunt I want to at least touch a LC. :tongue3:
Congrats for finding one. WTG

Burdie

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
That is the crappiest coin I have ever seen posted you should be really really ashamed of yourself for putting that one here. ::) ::) ::) ::)

OK I am SO jealous of that INCREDIBLE find!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

YOU rock. IF you bring it to KS can I touch the coin too???

(you know I was just kidding above right????)

OP
OP
Juanmoretime

Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2008
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mastereagle,

I'll let you and Warsawdaddy, Burdie and whoever else put in your pocket and then pretend to find it! How's that for a deal. You can only guess how thrilled I was to see that date on it. It is corroded pretty bad but I don't care cause it's my first. It was absolutely the last thing I expected to find where I was. Lord only knows the person that lost it....being where it came from, it probably was from a Union soldier who was in that area. I sure would like to thank him for having a hole in his pocket!!!

Hope to see ya'll at the CTH.

As an afterthought, peroxide was used to clean it and believe me, it was the WRONG thing to have done. It was corroded through the whole coin and I should have just cleaned it with water and left it alone. Oh well, I learned something about really corroded coins for the future.

Thanks,
Steve ;D

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first large cent. :thumbsup: May it be the first of many. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread