Deputized at Dawn at the Soccer Complex

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Sheesh.. just realized that it's actually the second day of this month now.. this post is about "Today's Finds" for September the first... technically.."yesterday" now. <rolling eyes> I must be getting slower all the time. That and it's been a busy busy day all round, what with it being.. or WAS.. a holiday and all the festivities involved.
My day (yesterday now) started off not so bright and early. Up before sunrise after a surprisingly good nights sleep, and off to the soccer complex that's turning into a gold mine.. er.. "CLAD MINE". I actually pulled into the gravel parking lot at the park just as the sun was burning its way over the tree tops across the field that I was going to hunt that morning.

9-1-08 001dawn1.jpg 9-1-08 002dawn2.jpg

There was still dew on the grass and the air was a bit cool. The ground beneath the dewy grass was still rather dry even with the rain we got in this area a week ago. Not that dry dirt slowed me down any though. I was hitting targets and pulling out coins every other step it seemed. Of course not every target was a coin, there were all the usual suspects popping up out of the dirt .. can slaw, pull tabs, nails, grommets, screws, and a few other odds and ends. I found a couple of screw in cleats from someones (different someones) soccer cleats.

9-1-08 013cleats.jpg

Not everything was found under the grass in the dirt either. Most of the coins I found were actually dug up, but not all of them. Among some of the other stuff that were surface finds was this little baby duck.. a "gibbit" from someones shoe (Crocs?)

9-1-08 014gibbit.jpg

Poor little guy was dry as a bone.. and dusty. <grin> Dusty was a recurring condition today..er.. yesterday. Most everything I recovered was dirty and dusty. Some things were even squashed, beaten or battered. Some coins were even mangled. I found one quarter that looked as though it had been hit by a lawn mower and another looked as if someone had tried to turn it into a bowl.. a very small one at that... Seen here with another Kennedy Half that I found today.. this one is of 1977 vintage.. *sigh*.. no silver today.

9-1-08 009bentquarters.jpg

Lots and LOTS of quarters.. and dimes.. one lone Half.. and a couple of nickles, one was a 1959 <shrug> and some pennies.. memorial cents all. Almost as many pennies as quarters.. ok, that doesn't sound like much actually, but when you have 45 pennies and it's not as many as the number of quarters.. well.. <grin>

Here's the whole pile of everything.. clad, junk, goodies, and surprises.

9-1-08 003pile.jpg

I knew I had raked it in this morning.. er.. <rolling eyes> YESTERDAY morning.. but I didn't know how much exactly till I got it home and sorted everything out. WHOA! a LOT of Quarters!!! 50!, 36 dimes, 1 Kennedy Half, 2 nickles and 45 memorial cents.. for a total of...

9-1-08 007clad.jpg

$17.15 in clad.. a VERY good day in my book! Granted, I hunted that one soccer field, and took about three hours and twenty or so minutes to do it, but time flies when you are having fun! <grin> Got to love a hobby that pays you to have fun!

Coins weren't the only things I found of course, but one coin was unique even if it wasn't legal tender. I've found variations of these things before here on the fields at the soccer complex, but this is the first one that was designated as property of an official..

Refs2.JPG

I hope this picture turns out ok.. I've been playing around with paint for windows to combine some pics to save space on these posts..

An official coin is one thing.. but other tokens of authority were found today as well.. damn.. I mean yesterday <rolling eyes> Well, not really a token per se, more like a shield... a STAR actually. As in a badge!

stars2.JPG

I was deputized by the dirt! I'm thinking that it is a higher end "toy" badge and not a Real honest to goodness badge that may have been lost by some Barney Fife of a law enforcement officer. I thought it was pretty cool though.
There were a couple of new repo's collected from the dirt today as well.. YESTERDAY.. sheesh!.. Two more vehicles for "Fro's Used Cars", although you might categorize these two as "modifides" or "customized" rides. Anyone out there remember a guy named Lee Majors? You know.. Colonel Steve Austin.. the Astronaut that got turned into hamburger then was reborn as "The Six Million Dollar Man"? Well he went on to make even a bigger splash when he starred in his next tv series.. "The Fall Guy". "splash"? or "flop"? Maybe it was "STOMP" by the looks of his car..er.. truck here. But then, this racy little Mazda XR7 must have gotten the stomp too... they both look to have been "lowered"..

cars.JPG

Here's the "Other stuff" I found today.. all sorted out from the initial pile..

9-1-08 010stuff.jpg

And one other find, perhaps the best for the day, was this cute blond gal that I picked up at the Teamsters' United Way Labor Day Picnic this afternoon.. er.. yesterday afternoon.. <laughing> Of course she is my better half.

9-1-08 004.jpg

NOW THAT IS A KEEPER! It's always a treasure to see her smiling.

And with that happy note, another installment of "How to turn a short story into an epic novel" comes to a close. <grin> Perhaps I can get back out to the soccer complex tomorrow and hunt yet another soccer field and keep this streak going. WooHoo! But then again.. after being up this late tonight, going on 1:30 AM at this moment, I probably won't be getting up with the dawn in the morning. Oh well. Catch as catch can, right? Happy Hunting Everyone!

*yawn*

Frodov

Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Frod, ya got yourself a few gallons of gas there buddy.. Nice finds for sure.. I have never found that much clad.. Congrats big time ... :thumbsup:

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
How did you make her smile so big? :D Did you give her a sexy, Frodov smile 1st and a sexy, Frodov wink 2nd? :wink: :D

Thanks for the story, Frodov! :thumbsup:

Kirk

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a lot of clad- great job!

HH
-GC

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Yep, she is definitely a keeper! I am sure she feels the same way about you. I was oh so very glad to get a chance to read another of your posts and see what all you brought home this time! Congrats on a fantabulous day!!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Frodov said:
And with that happy note, another installment of "How to turn a short story into an epic novel" comes to a close. <grin>

LOL! LOL! ;D

Holy cow! That's a lot of clad!!!

Nice hunt & story!

Congrats Frodov! :wink:

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you had a heck of day..17 bucks in clad an all the other things...WTG :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Fro. You are teraing up the soccer fields. hope the wife enjoyed it too.

SKD

Lucky boy

Jul 21, 2007
Houston Tx.
Detector(s) used
ACE250x2/Bounty Hunter 101/RadioShack
Man, that is a lot of clad :o, I have been saving mine in an old 1 gallon glass cider jug that is sitting on my fireplace ;D quaters, nickles and dimes only (conversation piece):wink: it's over $150.00 that I've found with my 250 in 6 months (saving for a whites) the pennies I throw in an old cigar box :thumbsup:....Great job....keep her smiling, makes people wonder what you all are doing :D

james

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Over 17 bucks! I'd take that for a nice day of walking, bending and digging. You seem to hit all those places pretty hard when you decide to detect them. That's a nice cash haul in my book. Congratulations !!

JRich

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Lucky boy said:
Man, that is a lot of clad :o, I have been saving mine in an old 1 gallon glass cider jug that is sitting on my fireplace ;D quaters, nickles and dimes only (conversation piece):wink: it's over $150.00 that I've found with my 250 in 6 months (saving for a whites) the pennies I throw in an old cigar box :thumbsup:....Great job....keep her smiling, makes people wonder what you all are doing :D

james

I too used to save all my found coins, first in a mason jar, then as that overflowed, my wife jokingly bought me a small "treasure chest" to put my treasure in. I still have that little chest (shoe box size) and it holds my treasures found metal detecting, if somewhat temporarily. As for the coins, I keep wheaties, real silver, and the tokens and odd foriegn coins still, but all the modern clad is only held long enough to be rolled, then it goes to a bank bag that gets taken to.. well.. the bank. <grin> Usually just before we go on vacation or when the thing is so full I can't zip it closed anymore. I've had to put the other treasures into other containers as well, I've categorized and separated several piles or bags of stuff over the last year and a half or so that I've been metal detecting. I've got a bag of keys and locks, a bag of bullets and shell casings, a bag for cheap costume jewelry, one for dog tags (find lots of those for some reason).. I've got a bag of nothing but tokens and foreign coins.. well you get the picture. I've got a whole BUCKET of toys and cars.. (ref Fro's Used Cars http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,161747.0.html)
I still keep the "treasure" chest though, it's as you described, a conversation piece as much as a still functioning part of my metal detecting hobby. Of course, most people outside of this hobby don't often share the same wonder at the "crap" we find. <laughing> Oh well, to each his own. I'm having a ball!

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

R

RUDY2003

Super Dooper Pile of coin Fro!!!

Great hunt.

Keep safe...

Keith

Dirt Dobber

Jun 24, 2008
Midlands of S.Carolina
Detector(s) used
R/S Discovery(BH IV) cousin
Fro ! What a day! I never had it so good. Great going. You know you are forceing me to go to my local soccer complex. Its only 10 or 12 years old so I never have hunted there . I believe thats about to change. LOL D.D.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Dirt Dobber said:
Fro ! What a day! I never had it so good. Great going. You know you are forceing me to go to my local soccer complex. Its only 10 or 12 years old so I never have hunted there . I believe thats about to change. LOL D.D.

DUDE!!!!!! Only 10 or 12 years old???? DAMNIT MAN! GET IN THERE! That soccer complex of yours is probably LOADED! This complex that I've been hunting recently is at most maybe 5 or 6 years old.. maybe less. Your fields have had AGES to collect coins and goodies waiting for you to come find them. GET IN THERE! <grin> Two or three bits of advice though... go when other people aren't using the fields.. early mornings are best. Early because in the summer months it's cooler too. Two.. wear gloves.. can slaw and broken glass as well as all manor of other sharp objects can get your tender digits otherwise. Three.. take along something to drink, a small cooler in your car with some water or soft drinks.. oh.. and a towel or rag and some hand cleaner to clean up after all that digging. <laughing> Now you know why I have a truck.. more room for all that gear. Most importantly.. dig EVERYTHING! Pull tabs are a given, but sometimes what you might think is just another pull tab will be something a little more interesting.. <grin>

Happy Hunting my friend!

Frodov

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG. I'm waiting for the Summer heat to go down a notch or two before I start hitting , "my" soccer field again. I have gotten tons of clad out of it. I don't know if I will ever finish it. They can play 10 soccer games at one time on it, it's huge.

Lucky boy

Jul 21, 2007
Houston Tx.
Detector(s) used
ACE250x2/Bounty Hunter 101/RadioShack
Frodov said:
Lucky boy said:

james

I too used to save all my found coins, first in a mason jar, then as that overflowed, my wife jokingly bought me a small "treasure chest" to put my treasure in. I still have that little chest (shoe box size) and it holds my treasures found metal detecting, if somewhat temporarily. As for the coins, I keep wheaties, real silver, and the tokens and odd foriegn coins still, but all the modern clad is only held long enough to be rolled, then it goes to a bank bag that gets taken to.. well.. the bank. <grin> Usually just before we go on vacation or when the thing is so full I can't zip it closed anymore. I've had to put the other treasures into other containers as well, I've categorized and separated several piles or bags of stuff over the last year and a half or so that I've been metal detecting. I've got a bag of keys and locks, a bag of bullets and shell casings, a bag for cheap costume jewelry, one for dog tags (find lots of those for some reason).. I've got a bag of nothing but tokens and foreign coins.. well you get the picture. I've got a whole BUCKET of toys and cars.. (ref Fro's Used Cars http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,161747.0.html)
I still keep the "treasure" chest though, it's as you described, a conversation piece as much as a still functioning part of my metal detecting hobby. Of course, most people outside of this hobby don't often share the same wonder at the "crap" we find. <laughing> Oh well, to each his own. I'm having a ball!

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

sounds like you been doing it for a while, I too have acquired miscellaneous objects and the sad part is that it was found in tot lots :icon_scratch: , I have found crack pipes .44caliber slugs and stepped on on alot of broken glass....and I am hip to the WTH is that, or you do what!....hahaha....it is hilarious but when you explain the excitement and joy of digging they often invite theirselves on the next trip ??? and then they are hooked :D that's the funniest....as soon as I learn how to down size my pics I will start posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread