1854 half dime - seated liberty

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all,
This is the second half dime this year, but from another place as first. This one is in better shape and is soaking in water and soap. Hope to see the whole picture soon. Will send the result photo to this forum when the slow soak has completed. Do not see a mint mark yet.

Found at a home place that i have been hunting for 6 weeks. Got some Civil war things there and later things and not many coins. I was expecting a silver one eventually and here it is. Oddly, it took me 20 trips hunting this place to get this coin and it was the same for the first one. Twenty trips there may be overboard, but good places to hunt are not numerous around here. Thanks for viewing this. More to come. I am hoping. IMAG1635.jpg AT pro signal was 92 on the HD, but a nasty nail came out of the hole first. Took a minute to find the tiny coin.

I am adding two photos after some hesitant cleaning. It did improve, but not enough. IMAG1664.jpg IMAG1666.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 26

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the half dime. :occasion14: That coin still eludes my coil. I'd be super stoked if I dug it.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great recovery........congratulations!! Looking forward to the cleaner version..........
Glad I'm not the only one who re-hunts parcels multiple times.........persistence and patience pays off!!

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cant wait to see the cleaned up version. awesome find!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. All I have now are sites Ive been to countless times. Some probably close to 100 times. Hope to find some new ground next year. Keep hitting it till its silent

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the 1854 Half Dime! Good thing you didn't give up on that site after hunt #19. :icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the half dime recovery, your hard work payed off! :occasion14:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG, All
That HD looks to be in Nice Shape , Hope that is not Iron on it's Face & Just Dirt, either way if it is iron stain it will just be a little harder to get it the way u might want it or I would like it.

I only have found 2 half Dimes (from the same Site & one was holed) & that was almost 3 years ago so 2 in one year ..Heck yeah..
Sounds like yr becoming to know your machine like Family.
Please do show when clean.
Davers

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An 1854 with arrows - great find sir. Yup, give that baby a nice soak and hopefully it will clean up nice. Congrats!

John

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the half dime they are just as elusive as the trime sometimes hard to locate even after digging. Nice job

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you found a Half Dime after 20 trips, I'd be making a 21rst trip ! Congrats on a nice coin.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak in lemon juice should help.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a very tough coin to find- Congrats! Hope it cleans up well for you.

-- Jeff --

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the very elusive Half Dime.
Twenty trips per 1/2 dime is something I would be more than willing to do. There are a lot of areas in NYC that I have hit more than 20 times. You did good.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are links to your two possibilities, the O mint is a low mintage and the value is about 25 bucks more. Distilled water would draw some of the minerals away. A quick 10 second zap of electrolysis would knock off a tremendous amount of crud. I, if I find something like your half dime, prefer to lick my coins and blot them on my shirt. Lol, nice find I know your excitement.

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explor...873-pscid-27/1854-arrows-h10c-ms-coinid-14358

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explor...3-pscid-27/1854-o-arrows-h10c-ms-coinid-14359

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all,
This is the second half dime this year, but from another place as first. This one is in better shape and is soaking in water and soap. Hope to see the whole picture soon. Will send the result photo to this forum when the slow soak has completed. Do not see a mint mark yet.

Found at a home place that i have been hunting for 6 weeks. Got some Civil war things there and later things and not many coins. I was expecting a silver one eventually and here it is. Oddly, it took me 20 trips hunting this place to get this coin and it was the same for the first one. Twenty trips there may be overboard, but good places to hunt are not numerous around here. Thanks for viewing this. More to come. I am hoping. View attachment 1387824 AT pro signal was 92 on the HD, but a nasty nail came out of the hole first. Took a minute to find the tiny coin.
Nice half dime. I hunt alot of my good sites 20+ times too, lol. We just dont have alot of readily available old sites to choose from in my area.
Matter of fact last weekend i went to one of my good old sites for the 20+ time and dug my #4 half dime from that site 1849-0.
It was the 7th half dime, not including the 2 spanish half reals that came from that site.
I guarantee there is more at my site and yours. Might not be an epic day every hunt, but if you keep hammering that site, more finds will come.
You might want to look into the aluminum foil, hot water, baking soda technique if you cannot remove that crust. That might loosen it up.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread