1859 Sharps Pistal...WWII P.O.W. spoon...coyote kill

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was 2 miles back in the woods detecting along an old trail and got a solid hit. Out popped this 1859 Sharps pistal. It's only half a gun, the 4 barrels are missing. My oldest relic so far. I stopped at a WWII Prisoner of War camp and only detected for a short time as there were too many nails. I did find a soup spoon. On the way out, I came across a fresh coyote kill from the night before. 162_0455.JPG 162_0456.JPG 162_0457.JPG 162_0459.JPG 162_0453.JPG 162_0454.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0008.JPG

Upvote 31

flashyace

Sep 26, 2013
southern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
There's really no need to post disgusting images of dead animals here. This is suppose to be a family friendly site, isn't it? What do dead animals have to do with treasure hunting?

It’s part of the cycle. I have been chased and treed by the animals. There is nothing wrong with his pictures he posted just showing what they are capable of

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds, if you could only get them to tell you their stories especially that POW spoon.

Congratulations on some very cool finds!

3FBCCF83-A20C-44E0-848F-9336188A5484.jpeg

Blkcloud

Apr 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't like what you see on here go to the next post.. my kids actually kill animals and skin them and eat them..and they are all girls..

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not offended and I don't find it disgusting....I enjoyed your post because you described a full picture of your day in the woods. Dead animals in the woods is totally kid friendly. They love that stuff.

Looking forward to your next post. Nature at its best pics included :)

PS... That's a very cool pistol!

Very well put wildcarrot.
And very cool find there pa plateau hiker. That pistol frame would have given me goosebumps to pull up from the ground.

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woah that gun is saweeet......i have always wanted to find a gun......definite bucket list for me......the more weird and old the better......that ones super unique and old. Thanks for the post.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't like what you see on here go to the next post.. my kids actually kill animals and skin them and eat them..and they are all girls..
Imagine that! :laughing7: Same kind of people complain about guns and anything else that doesn't suit "them". You know the type. :crybaby2:

Nice find on the gun. Here is a photo of one for those who may not know what it looks like.... https://www.aaawt.com/html/firearms/f719.html

Pistol,%20Pepperbox,%20Four%20Shot,%20C.%20Sharps%20and%20Company,%2022%20caliber_facing%20left_865-6.jpg

OP
OP
pa plateau hiker

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to go deep into the woods and find some relics.
My only concern in the Pennsylvania Wilds Country is rattle snakes. You will know if you are too close to them but you just never know.

I think you are too far north in Port Allegany to encounter rattlesnakes, but I have heard they are heading your direction in recent years.

OP
OP
pa plateau hiker

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds, if you could only get them to tell you their stories especially that POW spoon.

Congratulations on some very cool finds!

View attachment 1554261

This is a well documented and written about POW camp. A local man became friends with one of the prisoners. After the war, when the German went back home he invited the local man to his wedding.

OP
OP
pa plateau hiker

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was thinking about that. There must be hundreds of Tnet members who hunt and fish. The animals must be processed afterwards.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a TREASURE hunting website, not a HUNTING website. Maybe you guys are having difficulty grasping that fact...

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I would be very afraid if my daughters liked to kill and skin animals. Ever hear of Jeffrey Dahmer? That's how he started out as a child...

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As parents we think that shielding our children will last forever. We can’t always be with them we can only hope that we instilled some great values in them that can carry them into the rest of their lives as our parents and our parents parents have done for generations long after we are gone.

Read this:

The Lesson of the Butterfly

By Paulo Coelho

A man spent hours watching a butterfly struggling to emerge from its cocoon. It managed to make a small hole, but its body was too large to get through it. After a long struggle, it appeared to be exhausted and remained absolutely still.

The man decided to help the butterfly and, with a pair of scissors, he cut open the cocoon, thus releasing the butterfly. However, the butterfly’s body was very small and wrinkled and its wings were all crumpled.

The man continued to watch, hoping that, at any moment, the butterfly would open its wings and fly away. Nothing happened; in fact, the butterfly spent the rest of its brief life dragging around its shrunken body and shrivelled wings, incapable of flight.

What the man – out of kindness and his eagerness to help – had failed to understand was that the tight cocoon and the efforts that the butterfly had to make in order to squeeze out of that tiny hole were Nature’s way of training the butterfly and of strengthening its wings.

Sometimes, a little extra effort is precisely what prepares us for the next obstacle to be faced. Anyone who refuses to make that effort, or gets the wrong sort of help, is left unprepared to fight the next battle and never manages to fly off to their destiny.

6B684D0B-73B3-4898-A8BD-4132DB96A577.jpeg

I enjoyed this post. We see many things while we are out metal detecting. Thank you for your post.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I would be very afraid if my daughters liked to kill and skin animals. Ever hear of Jeffrey Dahmer? That's how he started out as a child...

Wow-That's a bit of a reach don't you think? And by the way you are correct that this is not a hunting site, but it is also not an ANTI hunting site. Leave your political views out of it, and don't be so quick to criticize.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coyote was in the mood for some ribs

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ever hear of Daniel Boone? Glad some of us didn't live before the Wal-Mart age where we can buy our food already killed skinned and wrapped neatly In plastic.

OP
OP
pa plateau hiker

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I jokingly told my wife I should have brought some of the meat home from the coyote kill as I didn't get a deer last season. Heck, I've picked up roadkill before, hate to waste good venison.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a TREASURE hunting website, not a HUNTING website. Maybe you guys are having difficulty grasping that fact...
Tim are you being a snowflake again? If you don't like what you see, move on. (I believe this is not the first you have been offended) This is a public forum and very closely moderated But not everything here appeals to me either.....and I move on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread