1859 Sharps Pistal...WWII P.O.W. spoon...coyote kill

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was 2 miles back in the woods detecting along an old trail and got a solid hit. Out popped this 1859 Sharps pistal. It's only half a gun, the 4 barrels are missing. My oldest relic so far. I stopped at a WWII Prisoner of War camp and only detected for a short time as there were too many nails. I did find a soup spoon. On the way out, I came across a fresh coyote kill from the night before. 162_0455.JPG 162_0456.JPG 162_0457.JPG 162_0459.JPG 162_0453.JPG 162_0454.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0008.JPG

Upvote 31

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coyotes can be dangerous!

When I first bought my house out here in Colorado, I saw 3 coyotes run across my headlight beams as a pack. The were fairly large coyotes and may have come down from the mountains. The mountain coyotes are larger than the plains coyotes and have thicker fur. I can't imagine having to face off with them, especially if I was injured. I think the photo was a good warning to those out there metal detecting.
As for the finds, the pistol is outstanding and I would try to restore it as a memento!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And I would be very afraid if my daughters liked to kill and skin animals. Ever hear of Jeffrey Dahmer? That's how he started out as a child...

Nice save on the pistol, the barrels must be around there in the dirt someplace as well.

FBT how do you really know what he man's daughters age is, they might be in their 40-50-60's and it's a way of life. To put someone's children into the same context as JD isn't right either.
I know of men that have taught their girls to hunt, skin, cook, eat game and they're the best behaved, well mannered, honour roll students.
Rather see a child learn the lay of the land than how to navigate the pages of some FB page.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I would be very afraid if my daughters liked to kill and skin animals. Ever hear of Jeffrey Dahmer? That's how he started out as a child...
That’s MESSED UP comparing someone’s daughter to Jeffrey Dahmer!
A personal attack if I ever saw one.

Derailed a legit post by a member trying to share his treasure hunting experience.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's really no need to post disgusting images of dead animals here. This is suppose to be a family friendly site, isn't it? What do dead animals have to do with treasure hunting?

FBT,

I sent you a pm yesterday morning answering you post report that the pictures did not violate our rules. TreasureNet is also more than just a treasure hunting forum.

If the pictures offend you feel free to not click on the thread. Please move on....

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Kentucky we used to shoot coyotes whenever we seen one back on the farm. They don't mix well with sheep, or cattle either for that matter.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Kentucky we used to shoot coyotes whenever we seen one back on the farm. They don't mix well with sheep, or cattle either for that matter.

In my experience (on West Coast), the cattle ranchers have no problem having coyotes around. When the population increases enough that they begin harassing livestock (which isn't often), they shoot as many as they feel is adequate to thin the population. Otherwise they are happy to have the coyotes out there controlling the rodent populations. They certainly do not shoot every one on sight or try to eliminate them.
I'm sure it is probably different in other places.

It wouldn't surprise me if the offending carcass was a mountain lion kill that a coyote took advantage of.

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a TREASURE hunting website, not a HUNTING website. Maybe you guys are having difficulty grasping that fact...

I'm still not having any "difficulty grasping" the original post. The OP shared a picture of something he found in the woods. He didn't hunt and kill it then post it...How did we get to a "HUNTING" website.

I think the important thing to remember here is please everybody post your stories with your pics....Don't let someone's comments stop you from sharing your hunts. That's Treasure Hunter's job not FBT.....

"Jeffery Dahmer" REALLY?

Junkironkid

Mar 23, 2012
MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find man. It would be cool to find the other pieces. I run into all sorts of critters when I'm hunting or metal detecting. I like to fish hunt squirrels rabbit deer. It's good to know how to do such things in life. Those skills could come in handy one day. We have Coyotes bad around here that do eat the neighborhood pets. I do my part by eliminating them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread