1860s IHP spill!

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
This is my oldest IHP spill, and only the second time I have got 5 IHPs in one hole. They were in a hunted area in heavy iron. I got the 1867 (my best one ever) first. It was a very iffy signal and I almost didn't dig it. When it came out, I rechecked the hole and surrounding area very carefully. It was very trashy and there were a lot of broken, popping signals. I went on for about 5 feet and was getting nothing, so I turned around and worked my way back toward the plug. Just before I got to the plug, I got another iffy signal that was better than when I rechecked the hole. I cut another plug right against the first one, went in with the pinpointer and pulled out a nail. Went back in and got the 1865 with the hole in it. Went back in and pulled out a couple more pieces of nail, then got a strong signal on the pinpointer right where the 1865 had been. Went in with my finger and pulled the 1868 out. Stuck the pointer back in and there was still a stong signal in that same spot. Stuck my finger back in and pulled out the 1860 fatty from the exact same spot. Those three had been stacked on top of each other (which is why the 1868 doesn't have a green patina). Dug everything out of that hole, including a T shaped piece of flat iron an inch tall. Filled up the holes and rechecked the area. I still had a signal a couple inches to the side of the last plug, but it was hitting low for an Indian. Might be another fatty, I thought. I cut a third plug adjacent to the other two and sure enough, out came another 1860 fatty. In the course of pulling every signal out of that last hole, I got more nails and another heavier piece of iron the size of a 1" pipe cap. That Deus II is amazing at weeding the signals out of the iron! My brother said he had gone over that spot with several different detectors and could never hear the Indians in the junk. I almost missed them myself. He got a seated half dime last year a few feet from where these were. This was an empty lot where an old house used to be in the downtown area of a small town. The goodies were near a large tree stump in the corner of the lot not far from the sidewalks where the dozers could not grade, but it was still very trashy.

20240415_205604.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 59

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY NICE :) Great looking Indian heads :) you did good as usual :)

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my oldest IHP spill, and only the second time I have got 5 IHPs in one hole. They were in a hunted area in heavy iron. I got the 1867 (my best one ever) first. It was a very iffy signal and I almost didn't dig it. When it came out, I rechecked the hole and surrounding area very carefully. It was very trashy and there were a lot of broken, popping signals. I went on for about 5 feet and was getting nothing, so I turned around and worked my way back toward the plug. Just before I got to the plug, I got another iffy signal that was better than when I rechecked the hole. I cut another plug right against the first one, went in with the pinpointer and pulled out a nail. Went back in and got the 1865 with the hole in it. Went back in and pulled out a couple more pieces of nail, then got a strong signal on the pinpointer right where the 1865 had been. Went in with my finger and pulled the 1868 out. Stuck the pointer back in and there was still a stong signal in that same spot. Stuck my finger back in and pulled out the 1860 fatty from the exact same spot. Those three had been stacked on top of each other (which is why the 1868 doesn't have a green patina). Dug everything out of that hole, including a T shaped piece of flat iron an inch tall. Filled up the holes and rechecked the area. I still had a signal a couple inches to the side of the last plug, but it was hitting low for an Indian. Might be another fatty, I thought. I cut a third plug adjacent to the other two and sure enough, out came another 1860 fatty. In the course of pulling every signal out of that last hole, I got more nails and another heavier piece of iron the size of a 1" pipe cap. That Deus II is amazing at weeding the signals out of the iron! My brother said he had gone over that spot with several different detectors and could never hear the Indians in the junk. I almost missed them myself. He got a seated half dime last year a few feet from where these were. This was an empty lot where an old house used to be in the downtown area of a small town. The goodies were near a large tree stump in the corner of the lot not far from the sidewalks where the dozers could not grade, but it was still very trashy.

View attachment 2143801
Very nice! The '67 is gorgeous!

PBS

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you use your Andre pencils on them ?

OP
OP
lrgoodger

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
That ‘67 is in amazing condition. I guess I’ve never seen a near uncirculated IHP before. When new, it’s a much nicer coin than I realized. Great finds!
You must not have seen this post.

OP
OP
lrgoodger

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Did you use your Andre pencils on them ?
Yes, lightly. I could not clean up the 1868 because it had no patina and even light rubbing was resulting in clean copper, as you can see on the date and the word 'UNITED'. I wanted to get that chunky stuff off, but I would have wound up with a shiny copper coin. The 1868 is actually in better shape (being the newest coin in the spill) than the 1867 which you can tell by the stronger diamonds on the ribbon.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2143801
wow, super cool spill, great saves for sure

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some great looking pennies. You are way more skilled with the Andres pencils than me, as you did a great job with the restoration; they look fantastic, especially that 1867. Congrats!

OP
OP
lrgoodger

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nice spill recovery....you are the Indian Cent king I must say. You find lots!
Yeah, I get lucky. I posted on March 13 that I was up to 15 IHPs for this year already and wondered if 50 would be a reasonable goal here in Michigan for the year. Last year I only got 13 all year. Well, I guess 50 was more than reasonable because I am up to 44 already and it isn't even May yet! My brother got the Indian today (I took him with me today to my latest site), a gorgeous 1888. I got a Mercury dime. His Indian was better than my best 1888, so I offered to trade him the Merc for it and he accepted. The 1888 now resides in my IHP folder.

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2143801
Wow. Awesome..congrats!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2143801
Really beautiful finds! Your tenacity paid off well. Great patina!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread