1861 Diary and 1860 Eagle Pencil

CoolFrayers

Oct 24, 2006
Bloomsburg, Pa
I recently was given an 1861 diary. In the diary is an Eagle No2 pencil stamped "patented April 3rd, 1860" Any info would be appreciated. Is it worth anything?
I imagine the diary, even though it is in GREAT shape is not worth much. It is cool though, tells of the mans travels. 10 miles here, 9 there. But, I was surprised the pencil survived.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it says where he stopped, what he did, etc., you should CERTAINLY take the time to read it first (I know writings of that era can be tough to decipher)--it would be WELL worth your time! There could potentially be a WEALTH of sites in there! If he gives details about where the houses and taverns were, you could take a few years and retrace his steps with your detector, visiting site after site.

-Buckleboy

OP
OP
CoolFrayers

CoolFrayers

Oct 24, 2006
Bloomsburg, Pa
It seems as if he was just a traveling man. Whether by choice, or not, it is unclear.
It states people that he met, places that he stayed. It sounds as if he were alone because of how he desribes staying with people- "Had a good steak with", stuff like that.
Very interesting read.

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
CoolFrayers said:
I recently was given an 1861 diary. In the diary is an Eagle No2 pencil stamped "patented April 3rd, 1860" Any info would be appreciated. Is it worth anything?
I imagine the diary, even though it is in GREAT shape is not worth much. It is cool though, tells of the mans travels. 10 miles here, 9 there. But, I was surprised the pencil survived.

I recently found and sold a 19th century handwritten travel diary for $241.00 on ebay. The author went across country on a train. A variety of factors can influence the value. The people and places mentioned, railroads, steamships, or other interesting descriptions, and if you have good information on the author himsslef. Descendaants will be interested. Do a little research if you can to see if the man was in the civil war or whatever. Of course, if the author can be established ot be someone famous or related to someone famous, you have a value increase.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Can you tell us the mans name? Alot of family reseachers are looking for personal memories like that. Even the route he traveled,where he stopped,etc can be important to a reseacher.....nice job on the pencil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread