Indian Fire Water Flask

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I picked this flask up at a garage sale a few years ago for $15.00. It appears to be silver although I could never find any makers marks. There is no damage dents ,dings ect...and when removing the cap which took sometime I found it to be half full of whiskey that smelled good enough to drink. Ive tried to research it and have found little on it. I did see a similar one made by gorham but it wasnt exact and one that did look exactly like mine went on ebay for $500.00....Does anyone know the approximate value? age? maker?

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,378

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever find out anything???????? I sure like the looks of it....

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
I'm sorry to say that I haven't had any response regarding to the maker, age or value. This has me thinking that this flask could be rare which might increase the value. I did see a polished flask like this one go on ebay for $500.00 and I'm guessing that could be the approximate value. I contacted two well known silver companys and neither have seen one exactly like this one and both said they would contact me if they came accross some info but I haven't heard from them. I also posted this flask on antique-bottles.net which has many knowledgable people and have had no response there either. I'm sure sooner or later I will find something out about this mystery flask.

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
A flask like this one being listed on ebay and selling for $500.00 gives me a good idea of the value although some people will bid more than what its worth if they like it. I will try to find that eBay listing that I printed out and post it. I think it was listed by a auction house and it was described as silver Indian motif flask with no makers marks. I was told by a antique dealer that the oval shape and cap style date it very early. Possibly late 1800s to early 1900s. I guess if I wanted to sell it I would try harder to research it but this one will probally just get passed down through the family.

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Heres a Unger silver flask that was posted on ebay recently. The indian motif is very similar to the flask I posted. I wish my flask would fetch this price. I also veiwed another one like this one for sale and it listed for $3900.00. Thats some serious bucks. I wonder if my flask possible could be a reproduction that was made to cut in on profits of this Unger flask.

Attachments

• 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 994
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 1,003
OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Side by side pics....Close in detail but not exact. Who copied who?

Attachments

• 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,004
  • 049.JPG
    049.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,083

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, that's really cool and very detailed. Did you ever sell it or find anything more about it?

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
I still have no info on this flask Sara77. I will bring the flask to a local jeweler that might be able to identifiy what it is made of and who knows maybe he has seen one before. Between work and play (indian atrifact hunting, bottle digging, metal detecting, motorcycling, antiquing, fishing , hunting ,hiking and so on I find it hard to make time for a simple trip to the downtown jewelers. Check back in the future and maybe I will have some new info.I've found old buttons, buckles, coins and rusted whatevers and have no problem IDing them on the net. This flask is a real challenge. :icon_scratch:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JG_in_NC said:
That would be something to take to the Antiques Roadshow next time they ae in town.....

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
I was cleaning out a desk and found this ebay listing that I printed out in 2006. This is the only other flask I have seen like the one I own. The item description is very basic and doesn't include maker or age. It does give me a ballpark figure on value.

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 512
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 509
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 491
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG