1861 Springfield trigger, 1867 Paris Exhibition medallion?

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out to the spot I hunted the other day and found the 1832 half dime. The 1861 springfield trigger should display nicely in the civil war cabinet and it was a first find as far as any gun parts from the war. The bullet was dug about 5 feet from the 1832 half dime that was dug a couple days ago so I would like to think that the same soldier dropped that coin with the bullet, no so sure about that but I guess its possible. The lock and key were found in separate locations on the property but appear to date from the same era.

The most interesting find was the copper medallion with silver plating on the back. When I first dug it I was thinking it was a some sort of lid or trash but after looking at it a little closer I could make out a little detail on the back. The photos will show what the back looked like before I unfolded the plate. I have never dug an item with a date from the civil war and I was a little let down to see the date 1867! I was like dang only two years off. After cleaning the back more writing was revealed. The back has a small crown at the top and directly under that looks to be the numbers/letters "18K" but I can't quite make out the last letter or number. Under that area the words "Paris Exhibition" can be seen and just below that is the date "1867". I can see that there may have been some more writing towards the bottom but cant figure out what it is. Does anyone know what this may have been. From what I understand medals were awarded to companies and/or products for the most recent inventions. This may be some sort of commemorative medallion but not sure. The front may have had some sort of writing or design but the front is rather toasted. An info is appreciated on the mystery piece!

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 99
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 87
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 10

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I wouldn't fret about not finding any coins, they'll turn up...u made up for it with all the awesome finds..very interesting, little pieces of history...ddf

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm guessing that could be a cover from the back of a pocket watch?
Nice finds!

Iowa Dale

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm guessing that could be a cover from the back of a pocket watch?
Nice finds!

Iowa Dale
Now that la.FurTrade pointed it out I can visualize it. Nice hunt! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread