1864 Indian Head - Possible Civil War Camp

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The longer I relic hunt, the more I realize how important research is. My huntin' partner discovered an old road bed in central Virginia which saw a lot of CW traffic. It was also a road dating to colonial days. We recently did a recon hunt there but just had a couple of hours. After hunting the road bed for a while, but not finding anything of interest, I wandered off to the side and soon found a brass candlestick holder. Within the same 5 foot area I also found what I think is a gun tool (will post pics after cleaned) some iron scissor handles, and a period civilian button. Very close by, my partner found some iron kettle pieces. Then, about 30 feet from where I found these items, I found this 1864 Indian Head and another coin (appears to be copper, but really toasted). I'm thinking we may have stumbled upon a camp (either civilian or military) or, at the very least, an old home site. But by then it was getting hot, the ground was very dry and hard so we packed it in with plans to go back in the fall. Thanks for looking.

1864_IH.jpg

Upvote 5

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always nice to see your posts my friend. Good luck in the cooler months , Abe

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice find! Now that's going back in time. :)

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds promising for sure. How did you all stumble onto the old road? I stumble on a few from time to time as well, but they always turn out to be logging roads. Even so, I always manage a few iron finds on them. Did you all find any thing at all on the road itself?

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Always nice to see your posts my friend. Good luck in the cooler months , Abe

Thanks Ahab - same to you buddy.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds promising for sure. How did you all stumble onto the old road? I stumble on a few from time to time as well, but they always turn out to be logging roads. Even so, I always manage a few iron finds on them. Did you all find any thing at all on the road itself?

I believe a lady my friend attends church with told him about it. He then confirmed it on an old map. Landowners most often know of these old road beds and many of them are very close to new highways. I discovered another one earlier this year that Stonewall Jackson's Army used. It, like this one, is just a few feet off the current road - a major highway. I hope to hunt it this fall too.

Nothing in the road bed. It's cut very deep - probably 10+ feet below the grade of the adjacent ground. And it's on a slope, so over the years its filled with sediment, leaves etc. That doesn't mean there's nothing there, but with the heat and dry ground, it just wasn't the right time to hunt it. Camps along these old roads are also common.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sounds like you have it figured out, good luck on future hunts

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Richard. Those CW era coins always have a special meaning. :thumbsup:
-MM-

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats Richard. Those CW era coins always have a special meaning. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Yes they do. Given the history of the area, very possibly dropped by a CW soldier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread