1864 RE-Election medallion

rebelfirefighter07

Jul 29, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
A drawer to a 90 yr old sewing machine got dropped in the floor last night and dumped its contents in the floor. It was full of old buttons and needles and all that. Putting it all back I found what I first thought was a coin until I looked at it closer. Its an 1864 re-election campaign button/medallion! On one side it says "For President 1864" and the other side says "For Vice President 1864". The center Ferrotype images of Lincoln and Johnson are missing, other than that this thing is in really nice condition. I say online one had sold with the images still in it for $900. No idea what it would be worth without the images. Curious though. From what I gather the ones from 1864 ae alot more rare than the ones from 1860. I can't get my camera working but I will try and get a picture put up as soon as I can. Here is a picture of one with the ferrotype still in it I found online.
abraham-lincoln-ferrotype.jpg

Besides the medallion I also found 3 arrow heads, some old buckles, lady's pin made of blue glass with the imprint of a face (very pretty), and a rubber button. Haven't been in the other drawers yet. They are all full of buttons and no telling what else.

Andy Witt

Abraham Lincoln Ferrotype Campaign Medallion Button

Upvote 0

arrowhead82

Dec 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that's awesome!

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so you never looked in the drawer before (?)........I was walking around a demolished house last summer...found a squashed sewing machine in the back...found the drawer..lots of buttons...dumped it all in a can and went home.......later investigation revealed a sterling 1933 Worlds Fair ring mixed in......probably a good place to check from now on(!)

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow wow wow WOW!

Of course, Ford's Theater deprived us of that election so MORE wow...

Did I say WOW?

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE FIND !!!!!!!!:occasion14:

OP
OP
rebelfirefighter07

rebelfirefighter07

Jul 29, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
The drawers hadn't been opened in many many years. I haven't had achance to go through any of the others yet. Only the one with the madallion in it. Looking forward to hear what anybody knows about this thing though. I've only been able to find a couple online.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! anytime you can just open a drawer and recover a find such as that.....
Then your cooking with gAS!!!!...Congrats................HH

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
coin master pro,,,Garrett at pro,,, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your killing me here...just go open up the other drawers...i'll help ya...

OP
OP
rebelfirefighter07

rebelfirefighter07

Jul 29, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
I won't be off work again till Wednesday so it will be atleast then before I can go back and start going through the others.

BixbyTreasure

Mar 8, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for this post. I am going back to a house in the woods that the land is trying hard to reclaim. It just tells me I need to keep my eyes peeled. :)

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really did dig that exact same 1864 Lincoln compaign article several years ago. Mine also does not have the photos in the center. It was real dark, but I could read For President 1864 on front and For vice President on the back. I only wish I could scan it over to you all. I HAVE BEEN DETECTING SINCE 1984, AND HAVE FOUND TONS OF NICE COINS AND JEWELRY. A member named Mike Steel [The Bandit] will tell you this is the truth. Ken

OP
OP
rebelfirefighter07

rebelfirefighter07

Jul 29, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Like I said earlier it is perfect besides missing the pictures. Were you able to find much information on your? a value? So far I havent ran into anyone with much information on it but everyone believes its a fantastic find.

OP
OP
rebelfirefighter07

rebelfirefighter07

Jul 29, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1864 re-election update

Finally, here are some pictures of the medallion and of the blue glass pin. They are both alot cleaner and clearer than what they appear in the pictures. I can't find a pin like this any where so I know nothing about its age. It was with the election medallion in the drawer.

Attachments

• election button.jpg
    election button.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 99
  • election button2.jpg
    election button2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 105

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread