May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well looking outside at all this snow's got me discouraged about the next time I'll be able to do my next round of diggin, but at least I got these last finds to tide me over till the next time it melts enough to hit that sweet soil again. Shame I won't be able to go where I found these items again though.

Been going to a spot close to where I work for a while without turning up too much interesting stuff and had figured on it being pretty much spent. Still kept giving it a try when I had time knowing it was going to be bulldozed and turned into a parking lot soon though. Then that fateful day arrived with all the equipment sat out front waiting to destroy my sometimes Mding spot, but as luck would have it they only graded out the ground around the house and covered half of it with gravel after finding out there was asbestoes in the roof inside that would have to be professionally removed before they could tear it down and finish the lot. That meant one last day for me with some freshly turned dirt to try my luck on.

First good hit was dead smack centered under a bulldozer tread mark resulting in these a few feet apart: ww2 badge 1.JPG ww2 badge 2.JPG
First dig was the rifle looking plate. Found it highly amusing at first because just earlier at work we'd been talking about the WVU mascot using his longrifle to kill a bear in the news (not a problem with me) then after turning it over and seeing the sterling stamp made me extremely happy. Wasn't sure what it was at all, but figured maybe some kind of plate off a rifle. Just a few days later My wife and I was watching the Extreme Metal Detecting DVD #3 and seen them dig up something similar. My eyes bulged and I eagerly awaited to see what it was....Turns out to be a World War 2 US Army Expert Infantry Badge.

Here's some random info I found interesting: The musket is adapted from the Infantry insignia of branch and represents the first official U.S. shoulder arm, 1795 model Springfield Arsenal musket. It was adopted as the official Infantry branch insignia in 1924.The EIB is presented for completion of a course of testing designed to demonstrate proficiency in infantry skill, and was awarded to U.S. Army personnel who hold infantry or special forces military specialties.WWII examples are very scarce , mainly awarded to special forces soliders. Wow! Never thought I'd find such a unique find so close to work!

The Buckle in the photo I have no info on other than it's maked French silver plate at one part, and has Giant grip base metal on the inner tongue. Any info welcome, Lol.

Spread out elsewhere I found these koin pack 2.JPG koin pack 1.JPG
Hehe, thought the Koin Pack condom container was some milk bottle lids at first till I pulled it apart and seen the reversed writing inside saying what it was. The other stuff is a Dog tag and Heck if I know what else. The one thing is probabley another kind of buckle I think. Still all and all good finds for me. Now the only bad part is these are deffinitely the last finds there for me. The day after that the house was gone and now the whole lot is covered with gravel...Dag nab it, all i can think about now is what all else I missed there buried now there forever most likely...:BangHead:

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would have been nice to look on the houses foot print, No tell what you lost there..................HH

Woooshaa!

Greenie
Sep 28, 2012
Nice finds, White Akuma. You've got the gist of the EIB but the details are a little off. The EIB is awarded to Infantry Soldiers who demonstrate expertise, not mere proficiency, in Infantry skills. It's not an easy thing and is one of the marks of a Soldier. It's cousin, the Combat Infantry Badge is similar, but has a wreath around the blue field. It's arguably easier to obtain, but survival is a bit trickier.

If the buckle is French and near a condom case, you may have found an old Dogface's mementos of Europe. The condom case is also an Infantryman's mark, FYI.

OP
OP
W

White Akuma

May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, White Akuma. You've got the gist of the EIB but the details are a little off. The EIB is awarded to Infantry Soldiers who demonstrate expertise, not mere proficiency, in Infantry skills. It's not an easy thing and is one of the marks of a Soldier. It's cousin, the Combat Infantry Badge is similar, but has a wreath around the blue field. It's arguably easier to obtain, but survival is a bit trickier.

If the buckle is French and near a condom case, you may have found an old Dogface's mementos of Europe. The condom case is also an Infantryman's mark, FYI.

Huh, never thought about that. Just looked that up about the condom pack and seen it was correct! Company went out of buisness in 1974, but was used alot during WW2. Hehe, now after I can find out more about the silver colored flower designed thingie and the other buckle I might have an interesting grouping for a display case! Thank you a lot!

This was something else I'd found in the same lot at an earlier date. Thought it was some kind of decoration on a horse's tack, but now wondering if it could also be related to some kind of WW2 item. star.JPG The back of it is grooved and may have remnants of attatchment spots of some kind. Also appears to be made of some kind of copperish metal.

Last edited:

Woooshaa!

Greenie
Sep 28, 2012
WA,

I'm not sure whatever that flowery thing is, but it looks like a pull tab, but it looks to nice to be disposable. The star, I sont think is GI, but ornamental of some sort. It's a toss up. Maybe some part of a horse's tack? Good stuff, though. Woooshaa to you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread