JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone,

First let me say that this is the first Feb I can remember that the ground has not been solid as a rock here in P.a. I took advantage of the mild weather here lately. If 28 is mild. As long as that soil is soft I will go out.

We did hit a few 40's and 50's here witch thawed out everything and melted the snow. I haven't been venturing to any new sites. I am waiting for some better prime weather. But I did visit a old park near my home.

I've been hunting this place for yrs. It just will not stop giving. It's all deep signals. I got out for about 10 hrs this month. The highlight was last Sat. I just started to hunt right. Decided to go really slow and hunt very methodically.

I got a solid foil signal plus 12 solid. I dug down about 5 inches pulled some dirt out. Checked the pyle. It was there I see a small coin looked like a clad dime. But read way to low. So I figured button. I started to dust it off and seen three roman numerals on the back. I knew instantly what I had.

Never thought I would find one of these. Don't know if I'll find another either. They are super thin to. Well this one is anyway. It is a 1865. I was pretty happy. Not often do I find a first. Not more than 10 minutes later I catch another deep signal.

VDI was off from the great depth of this quarter. It was hitting a 78. But had a nice silver tone to it. I put the shovel in about a foot deep pry it up and a old silver rolls right out of the middle. App 8 to 10 inches deep. The 1400 coil really grabes them down there.

I knew either seated or barber quarter. Was hoping for a seated but no luck yet. Got alot of barber quarters though over the yrs. Fill the hole sweep it over and about a ft away received another hit. Out pops a 1906 indian. It was a nice 26 cents to recover.

Other than that it was just a few old coins here and there. Found 2 barber dimes a 1907 s under a huge root. Also got a nice 1903 mixed in a hole with a piece from a door plate. Found a 71 keneddy half. Thought for sure a silver half to be in dissapointment when it came out.

Also got a mangled 1875 indian. Why do they have to destroy the rare dates. Got a 1922 trolley token and a 1921 canadian penny. Pulled out 8 wheats to. Also got a war nickle. Plus 2 v nickles a 1893 and a toasted 1901.

Can't wait for the spring. I'll be up and gone every weekend for hrs. Got some nice sites lined up. Finally got a gps to try and track down these old homesteads. Trying to locate some older finds. Pre 1850 silver is on this yrs agenda.

Hope everyone can bear this last little bit of bad weather. If your like me your dieying to get out in full force again.

Thanks for looking,

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• feb 09 001.jpg
    feb 09 001.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,010
  • feb 09 002.jpg
    feb 09 002.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,001
  • feb 09 004.jpg
    feb 09 004.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 997
  • feb 09 010.jpg
    feb 09 010.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 996
Upvote 0

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey Jer,

It's good to see that you're taking advantage of the uncommon Feb. conditions in your area.

You have been finding a lot of great coins/relics in your pounded sites! I've been doing the same this year also.

Looking forward to your future finds this year! :thumbsup:

Congrats!

CAPTN SE
Dan

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
That's a great hunt! Nice bunch of finds!

I had a Levi Strauss belt with that buckle when I was a kid! As I recall, it was pretty solid and heavy!

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing more of your finds! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Thanks alot everyone.

Capt, There has been days before I left the house saying it's gonna be really hard to pull something from this park. Get there and within 10 minutes be holding a barber quarter saying to myself man how did we miss this one.

I swear the heavy ground thaw pushes up deep coins every yr. I've found countless 100 yr old coins on the surface with mud all over them like they were just pushed up and out of the ground. I've even kicked them around moving leaves to find them a few ft away.

I think this place will always give treasure even 20 yrs from now. New technology and the ground constantly shifting will make this place a great spot to hunt. Been hunting it like 5 something odd yrs now. Hundreds of trips and still can't clean it out.

It's a great back up site close to home. I go and hunt it when time is limited.

Yes, The buckle is very heavy. Made just like the old civil war style maybe earlier. Has a nipple on the back for the leather to pierce through it. Would you say this buckle is from the 60's or 70's.

Thanks again guys. Were gonna be hitting it full fledge here soon. Got gps ready old maps ready. Can't wait to go. Hope everyone has a great season.

HH Jer

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JerDfx said:
I live in pittsburgh pa. Butler is not very far. Maybe 35 40 minutes away.

Thanks again everyone,

HH Jer

Nice finds! And nice to see some locals on here searching for goodies!

I'm about an hour south of you in Uniontown, PA.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, The buckle is very heavy. Made just like the old civil war style maybe earlier. Has a nipple on the back for the leather to pierce through it. Would you say this buckle is from the 60's or 70's.

[/quote]
Good call about the buckle. Looks like a belt buckle I wore back in the mid-seventies.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds Jeremy, love those silver coins!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread